• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ in march

raven06

Inactive
Reaction score
So I have my BMQ in march and I am going in as an MSE OP. I love driving, but I wonder if I want to do that as a career. I started doubting, so I  came on the forum to read a bit about the experience of some guys and I must admit and a bit confused and not really convinced after all. My first choice was combat engineer and it remains my first choice. I want to be on the field, I want challenge, and I fear MSE OP won't give me quite what I am searching for. So I was simply wondering if it was possible to change job once you got in?

Also feel free to tell my about MSE OP if you like! Thanks

raven06 said:

So if your BMQ doesn't commence until Mar, then I would "assume" (correct me if I am wrong), that you haven't even been enrolled into the CF as yet.  If this is the case, then you can contact your local CFRC and just turn the offer down and ask to be re-merit listed for the occupations that you are "really" interested in.  Or continue on with your current offer but I would caution you NOT to accept MSE Op as a means of joining with CAF, with the future intention of changing occupations.  Sometimes, things just don't work out they way you think they will.

It's as simple as that.....

I'm not enlisted yet, and I didn't want to turn down the offer and risk having them reconsider my file if ever an opportunity comes up. Don't get me wrong, I love driving, I love those big armored trucks, but I heard that most of the time people end up only driving bus from the base and don't get much chance to get deployed. Can anyone confirm that?

Thanks for the information anyway, I shall think about it!

if you are already thinking of switching trades once you get done with everything , I STRONGLY suggest you to NOT accept the job offer.

1 - there is ABSOLUTELY no certainty that you will be able to switch
2 - there might be someone who really wants this job and you are gonna stop him from having it
3 - you will not work as hard in the class because let's face it "it's not what you want to do in life"

Find the trade you want , stick with it no matter what , if you are already thinking about switching and you haven't even started BMQ .... sorry to tell you but chances are you are gonna hate it .... and probably drop out. 

if you want to be a CBT Engineer, the apply for that and wait for a job offer.

You are not enlisted yet but you have a start date for March? When are you suppose to go sign the paperwork?

You might end up driving a bus, or plowing an airfield most of the year in Moose Jaw, or doing shipments from base to base. You could even be doing airfield tours for the ramp courses. The guys that I know do a lot of waiting to drive around and a lot of washing of vehicles and maint.

Follow your gut, you are enlisting for a min contract. There's a huge difference from CBT engineer and a truck driver, do a pros and cons sheet for both and ask yourself why you are choosing the forces. If you want to be a truck driver, you can also do that as a civilian and if you don't like it, you can choose something else.

"Cbbmtt If i'm not wrong, the paperworks will be signed on March 11th, and I believe we will depart shortly after. Thanks for the answers guys.

raven06 said:
"Cbbmtt If i'm not wrong, the paperworks will be signed on March 11th, and I believe we will depart shortly after. Thanks for the answers guys.

Until you attend your local CFRC, sign those papers and are formally sworn in, you can still change your mind.  Choice is yours...

So I kept on reading on the forums a bit to get more information about MSE Op other than what the website provides(I already knew all about the trade from the website and before I chose it in my trade choices, but since people often say ''It's never like in the commercials''). I must say i'm quite happy with what I found and feel a bit reassured. I'm not completely off of this trade and still have interest in it, although I got a few questions, I don't know if this will be the right section of the forum though.

Is it somehow possible to specialize in armoured types of vehicules at some point in the MSE op career or is it only for the combat arms units?

What are the chances that an MSE op gets deployed overseas(Is it a ''volunteer'' kind of thing and chances are the same for all trades)?

I'd love it if someone could help me clarify those two, thanks!

When did you initially reply? Only asking because I applied Nov.14/14, wrote my CFAT test on dec.1/14, passed it, but haven't heard from
Anyone since. Just wondering how long the process usually takes.

Thanks.

You cant really put an average processing time because its different for everyone .  A lot of things can make your enlistment longer or shorter. I saw some people on this forum who have only wait around 3 or 4 months before they sworn in and others who took 2 years. If you really want to get in you just have to  be patient and wait , if you  have what it take and are really commit to get in your turn will come . ( Sorry for my  english) .  :salute:

Medictb93 said:
When did you initially reply? Only asking because I applied Nov.14/14, wrote my CFAT test on dec.1/14, passed it, but haven't heard from

Thanks.

My process began in december 2013. My friend, who started his process at the same time, got offered a job in communication shortly after, like in january or februrary and in april he was gone for his BMQ. I got called in october 2014, and had to repass my tests because they were going to expire. Now, i'm patiently, or not, waiting for march, and I couldn't be any happier. It's worth the wait. I speak for myself when I say, I tried stuff, studies, it never worked and I thought of the army since highschool. I used to tell myself I would try something else before thinking about the army, but I ended up thinking about the army most of the time and I can't picture myself elsewhere. For once I can say there is no Plan B, because the army is where I want to be. (No pun intended hehe)

Be patient my friend, and good luck with your process.

Thanks raven06.. Hoping I don't need to wait that long, I am going in as semi- skilled. I'm currently a Primary Care Paramedic, and meet the direct entry plans for Med Tech.

Good luck in March!

Medictb93 said:
Thanks raven06.. Hoping I don't need to wait that long, I am going in as semi- skilled. I'm currently a Primary Care Paramedic, and meet the direct entry plans for Med Tech.

Good luck in March!

Fresh out of High School, 2.5 years of work experience at crappy Walmart and I got in as Infantry in 3 months. Good luck, could be faster if you're semi skilled already.

Medictb93 said:

Thanks.

Not sure about you, but I was calling my recruitment center every couple of weeks - 1 month and just asked to check for the status of my application.
I was talking to a friend of a mine who is now in his 6th week of BMQ while I was waiting for my call from the recruitment center for my medical date. He told me that he just called them and booked his. I called them that day, and I had my medical scheduled right then and there.

So try giving them a call.

Back