• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Jan 9th in Borden

EhMust

Inactive
Reaction score
I was just looking for anyone who is doing BMQ at the same time as myself.
09 Jan to 24 Mar at Borden.
I'm also looking for anyone who happens to be going through for Armoured Soldier so that maybe we could share some info.

Aaron.

I completed BMQ at Borden recently and loved it! The instructors are great and the training is intense, minus the odd PSP staff. Overall Borden is a great place to have the training, I have friends who went through St. Jean and would rather go to Borden...

Keep your head up, and persevere! :salute:

hello i was wandering what is borden like ... sleeping wise is it ur own room with everything or whatt thank you..

mike

Almeida said:
I will be on course God willing Jan 9 at Borden...Swearing in on 14 of December....Sig Op

See you Dec 14....

Air Force, Comm Rsch Op, Reg force. BMQ Jan 9 in Borden.

I was also told that the BMQ is favoured at Borden 

I will be in Borden January 9th . I swore in on December 15th for five years as a combat engineer.  Can't wait. P.K. :salute: :cdn:

See you guys January 9th...I will actually arrive there around 15:30 on the 7th. CFRC Toronto arranged bus. Whooohoooo :cdn: ;D

I just Finished BMQ at Borden, Let me tell you all something just so you have the heads up...They have made allot of changes to the course based on what worked and didn't work while we were there. Some new things that are mandatory as of 01JAN06:

- All forced marches completed ie..3,5,7,13 km
- Complete the obstacle course
- More PT classes added
- less free time, more tasked time

Don't be fooled about this " you get out on the weekends after 4 weeks"..It's crap! we had 2 weekends off the whole time..

The instructors made it very clear that the next group comming in will have it allot harder then we did...I am sorry to hear that but you got to do what you go to do right? Keep you heads up and play the game! Time flies by after the first 4 weeks...

Good luck..

NavCommNewf said:
I just Finished BMQ at Borden, Let me tell you all something just so you have the heads up...They have made allot of changes to the course based on what worked and didn't work while we were there. Some new things that are mandatory as of 01JAN06:

- More PT classes added

Don't be fooled about this " you get out on the weekends after 4 weeks"..It's crap! we had 2 weekends off the whole time..

The instructors made it very clear that the next group comming in will have it allot harder then we did...I am sorry to hear that but you got to do what you go to do right? Keep you heads up and play the game! Time flies by after the first 4 weeks...

Good luck..

Obstacle course mandatory??!! Not in this army, 3/4 of my course never made it up the 13 foot wall. Infact I've never seen a women get over it either. All you gotta do is touch the rope and you pass!! Just attempt it.. that's all.

Only thing we heard was becoming mandatory was completing the 13km march.

The only day we were CB'd was the first Friday and that was because someone flipped the PSP staff off from the bus as we drove by them.. look within your platoon for the reasons you were constantly CB'd!!!

(Edited by Moderator to remove immature attempt to bypass profanity filter.)

NavCommNewf said:

- More PT classes added

Good luck..

Good! That is how it should be! Its supposed to be tough. Its supposed to make soldiers out of civilians. I dont want to be side by side with someone who is halfassing the course, and getting away with it. I havnt trained myself hard for the last 16 months to be shortchanged when the goof who dosnt give a damn makes it through BMQ having "attempted" everything but not finishing. Recourse or get the hell out!

My wife will be on the BMQ on the 9th.  She's Air Force Traffic tech.  I'll Tell you all what I have been telling her:
    1.    Play the Game.  That's all it is, a game.  Your instructors have their part to play, and you have yours.  Do as your told, and don't ask  questions like why you have to do things a certain way.  Oh, and if you've been recourseed, don't say "Well, we did it this way on the other course..."  It will only make thing worse for you...
    2.    Don't take it personal.  This kind of goes along with Play the Game.  You will get yelled at, and you will feel that the instructor is singleing you out at times.  Listen to what the instructor tells you, it most likely is valid and will help you in the long run.  Swallow your pride, fall on your sword and soldier on.
    3.    Don't let them see you cry.  You could be the biggest toughest guy on course, and there is a good chance you will break down and cry at some point.  Emotions will run hot and high while your on course, and at some point, and everybody's point is different, you could just break down.  Try to save it for in the shower at days end.
    4.    Pull your own weight.  Whether its doing Station Jobs (cleaning the barracks), cleaning crew served weapons, or getting supplies, do your share.  That being said, don't do it all either.  Develop your leadership skills and motivate your each member of your platoon to pull their share as well.
    5.    Meet your Timings.  If your given a timing, make sure you can be where you have to be on time.  If your a Course Senior for the day, and you will be, listen to your instructor's instructions, and be where you have to be.  ***WARNIN0G***  Don't fall into the trap of being 15 min early for every timing that is given to you!  This is what happens:  The Schedule says you are to eat lunch at 1200hrs, and your first class after lunch is 1315 hrs.  Your instructor tells you to have everyone outside, formed up and ready to march off to your next class by 1300.  You, as the C/S tell the platoon to be outside, formed up and ready to march off by 1245hrs so as not to get your instructor mad at you because you didn't have everyone ready at 1300 hrs.  Sometimes it can take 15 min just to get through the food line.  Before you know it, by the time you get into the mess, get your food, you only have 15 min to eat!
    6.    NEVER,and I can't emphasize this enough, NEVER, if asked "Who here likes Ice Cream", NEVER raise your hand!

I'm sure I told here more, but I can't think if them all right now.

We were in Borden for about 4 years, and I can tell you, it is a good place to be.  Barrie is not too far, The Jr Ranks Club is a good place to go when you allowed, and the food in the messes are not that bad.

Good luck!

I'm going to Borden January 16, will the obstacle course be open in winter? I heard it wasn't.

JSR OP, that's great advice! Good luck to your wife on her bmq.

I'm looking forward to my basic course on the 16th as well.... I'm hoping I don't run into one of those know-it-all recruits who's going to get my course's pass' revoked....

I just finished the first Reg BMQ that went through Borden...

At our End course critique we were told a lot of things would be changed for the next bunch of recruits. More classrooms for starters, (6 instead of 2). Classes will be taught in a sequencial sp? order (ie: drill). More PT, (Instead of twice a week with PSP...  "Pretty Simple PT"). Less free time for sure, (It wasn't uncommon to be told to go back to the shacks for "Kit and Quaters")

I could tell things were to easy when I was there. In some regards, it was kind of a joke, but thats not to say there weren't some tough times. One thing they were keen on was making sure we didn't get a lot of sleep. 5 and a half hours a night was schedualed for sleep. But there were so many night duties they created it was ridiculous. (One man on front desk, two people for fire picket, and two people for roving patrol). Try to stay out of trouble or you'll end up on one of these duties more then once a week.

The first four weeks will suck, and you'll be on the go all the time.

SierraAir congrats on passing your bmq :D

Was your course 8 weeks?

5 1/2 hours of sleep?

All at the same time?!

Oh.... man, I'm SOOOOOO looking forward to that.

As it stands now, I only get about 3-4 at a time.

Wakey Wakey peoples! Up and at 'em! ... smile.

SierraAir, we both know why the extra duties were created, no? Might have been when Alpha company was already graduated but the duties got scaled back to just a front desk person and two people who patrolled both inside and outside together.

Just out of curiosity, are there any of you heading for the AVN trade when you complete the BMQ?

I'm a recruit school by-pass (RUB IT IN .. smile) and will be on my AVN couse in Feb 06.

As others have been saying .. BMQ is all a head game.  Just remember that and lean on each other for help.

Good luck

Cheers

Back