• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ knots

dgb

Inactive
Reaction score
There's something that's annoyed me in the back of my mind for years and this is my attempt to address it.  I did Reserve BMQ ,or GMT as it may have been called back then, in the 90's.  I distinctly recall being taught how to tie a number of specific knots, however that information left my brain after the course and has never returned since.  From reading a bit of these forums I suspect there are people on here who have taught on BMQ courses and would know this like the back of their hand.  Can anyone list for me, or even better point me to a training resource, that shows the basic knots a CF soldier is taught on BMQ?  I'm well aware there would be no end of knot tying materials on the internet, but my goal is to simply properly recollect the ones the army attempted to teach me.  I'll re-emphasize that this was CF Army basic military training and not Naval, who I would imagine might go into far greater depth on the subject.  Thank you for any assistance you might offer!

dangerboy said:
Looking at the Training Plan for BMQ (http://doc.elrfc-cflrs.saint-jean.mil.ca/Public/Intranet2011/ins-tra/qmb-bmq_2018/pi-tp/BMQ_TP_2015_e.pdf (DWAN LINK) it shows that the following knots are taught:

- Half Hitch;
- Clove Hitch;
- Reef Knot; and
- Bowline Knot.

What happened to . . .

Thumb knot,
Fisherman's knot,
Sheepshank,
Round turn and two half hitches,
Figure of eight,
Timber hitch,
Sheet bend,
Double sheet bend,
Double bowline,
Bowline on a bight,
Square lashing,
Figure of eight lashing,
Round lashing,
Diagonal lashing,

And of course the Windsor Knot.

A couple of those might have been only on BOTC, but when I did basic (Cornwallis 1970s) we were still doing a lot of the national survival stuff.  There were a few others (not included in list) that were definitely on BOTC as well as from JLC and Mountain Ops, but those were specific to small party tasks (leadership evaluation) or climbing.

Tagged for interest...I might be involved in a BMQ later this year...so...yeah...sailor...knots...hmmmm….

Not an official resource, but if you need a refresher:
https://youtu.be/3X8drKsdf5E

Blackadder1916 said:
What happened to . . .

Thumb knot,
Fisherman's knot,
Sheepshank,
Round turn and two half hitches,
Figure of eight,
Timber hitch,
Sheet bend,
Double sheet bend,
Double bowline,
Bowline on a bight,
Square lashing,
Figure of eight lashing,
Round lashing,
Diagonal lashing,

And of course the Windsor Knot.

A couple of those might have been only on BOTC, but when I did basic (Cornwallis 1970s) we were still doing a lot of the national survival stuff.  There were a few others (not included in list) that were definitely on BOTC as well as from JLC and Mountain Ops, but those were specific to small party tasks (leadership evaluation) or climbing.

While all great knots, the majority of CAF mbrs will never use them in their careers and if they do need them better they be taught at that time then try to recall a tired BMQ day.

MJP said:
While all great knots, the majority of CAF mbrs will never use them in their careers and if they do need them better they be taught at that time then try to recall a tired BMQ day.

Knots aren't taught at all on the current PRES BMQ, unless you have an instructor that knows them and some spare time. I don't recall even learning any knots until we were taught how to do a Swiss seat. They are covered off on Basic Pioneer (from what I've been told).

All the knots I know how to tie I learned as an Army Cadet with 6 Fd Sqn.

Anyone need a couple of giant tripods set up so that you can take a rifle company across a river 'Tyrolean style'? ;)

I might have our BMQ course rig a Light Jackstay....that'll teach some teamwork.... ;-)

NavyShooter said:
I might have our BMQ course rig a Light Jackstay....that'll teach some teamwork.... ;-)

Amen. Here's a video of the TOET for that one  :)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK86PzUVO8Q

I remember on my JLC in Victoria that all of the classroom lessons we gave were knotwork, and later, all of the small party taskings used those knots.

Navy: tie these 14 knots

Army: can't tie knots, tie lots

Back