• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BMQ Reserves 2010 - 2017

I would assume you aren't getting the weekend off. Then  if you get them off it will be better. (I.e don't book any trips or hotels until you get off the base)

On my 3's we had to work every other Saturday as we needed to make up time due to external factors.

Likewise one long weekend on my 3's. I didn't think we were going to get off after shenanigans that started on Wednesday before the weekend which was unfortunate as I had foolishy booked a hotel and made plans to meet my ex  (girlfriend at the time) in a nearby town.

It depends on you, your course mates, staff, course and base.

Merged.

Half of my posts seem to say that...

thecanadianwarrior - Please look around for existing threads in future and help keep my post count down.

So I am doing my reserve BMQ this summer full time and I'd like to know if I have weekends off. I really need them off for my civilian job, will they let me? If they do, will I get off Friday night or Saturday morning?

Weekends off on course are never a guarantee. On your BMQ, you may get some weekends off, or none at all. As well, a weekend off could still see you confined to the base.

I wouldn't ever plan on going into a course and expecting a weekend off. If you get one great, if not it isn't the end of the world.

I personally never "lost" a weekend (Though there are several times when I felt that we as a course should have...)  but on my 3's we had to work ever other Saturday just to cover all of the content. I suppose on SQ due to being in the field we got two days off but it was two days during the week.

This question also depends on where you are you doing your basic, your staff and everyone else on your course.

As always "it depends"

Any weekends I had "off", I was confined to base, and those weekends were late in the course.

Kate22 said:
I am doing my reserve BMQ this summer full time and I'd like to know if I have weekends off.

For reference, perhaps "Reserve BMQ/Basic Weekends Off?" will be merged with "Summer BMQ for the reserve (2016)."
https://army.ca/forums/threads/121285.0

See also,

Summer BMQ
https://www.google.ca/search?q=site%3Aarmy.ca++summer+bmq&sourceid=ie7&rls=com.microsoft:en-CA:IE-Address&ie=&oe=&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GBCA592&gfe_rd=cr&ei=YA5CV-XuHMWC8QfDgZawAg&gws_rd=ssl

eg:

A few questions about reserve training
https://army.ca/forums/threads/117770.0
OP: "Do you generaly get weekends off during summer training?"

etc...

As always,  Recruiting is your most trusted source of information.

runormal said:
The dates aren't really going to help you. There could be a course on  June 24th, but if your unit doesn't have spots or if there are people infront of you in the que you will be SOL.

What is your trade? They've scaled back the SQ for everything except infantry it is now something like 14 days vice the original 26 or so (Infantry also no longer does SQ they have a DP 1 split into two mods).

All in all it should be possible because the reserves has a vested interest in getting the High school through Basic + SQ so that highschool students with longer DP 1.0s (I.e Sigs, Engineers) can do
their trades course the following summer.

That being said, nothing especially with the military is a guarantee.

Even if you can only get the basic it is possible that there will be an SQ on the weekends as well during the next year.

This is a question better directed for your recruiter.

I'm going on PRes BMQ next week, and got a few questions:

1- Unfortunately, I won't be available for BMQ-L this summer. Will I be able to do it part-time, before next summer? I really want to be qualified after next summer.
2- I'm joining as an ACISS, and you said that we have a longer DP1. Would you happen to know how long is it?

Thanks!

P.S. Yes BMQ is still 11 weekends (or in my case, 22 weekdays)

ZKC said:
I'm going on PRes BMQ next week, and got a few questions:
ZKC said:
1- Unfortunately, I won't be available for BMQ-L this summer. Will I be able to do it part-time, before next summer? I really want to be qualified after next summer.

It is possible that course will be run during the training year. I've seen a course being run on the weekends for the past two years.. No guarantees by any means, but ideally yes. It is only something short like 14 training days or something now, so in a perfect world yes. However this depends on your brigade.

ZKC said:
2- I'm joining as an ACISS, and you said that we have a longer DP1. Would you happen to know how long is it?

It is two months.

ZKC said:
P.S. Yes BMQ is still 11 weekends (or in my case, 22 weekdays)

Thanks! Good to know

Have fun on basic  ;D

Hi All,
I start BMQ on July 4 for Reserves at CFB Meaford, reporting in on July 3.
Anyone else in this session?
....Getting Nervous

Carntsen said:
Hi All,
I start BMQ on July 4 for Reserves at CFB Meaford, reporting in on July 3.
Anyone else in this session?
....Getting Nervous

I will be in on this course. Are you meeting at Dennison?
P.s I never got a kit list of items to bring, are we expected to bring the winter kit as well?

Radland1 said:
I will be in on this course. Are you meeting at Dennison?
P.s I never got a kit list of items to bring, are we expected to bring the winter kit as well?

You don't need your winter kit.

Hey guys, I am also coming to BMQ on July 4th (arriving on July 3rd ofc) but does anyone know what we're supposed to  bring and what we're wearing on that day?

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-joining-instructions.page#annex-a

That's really weird you guys didn't get sent the joining instructions. If the link works everything is on that page, the kit list is closer to the bottom of the page but other than the documents and cash you have to bring, you only need to bring the "Civilian clothing" and "Other articles" lists, the other ones you get at Canex at BMQ.

Congrats and good luck! Must feel crazy to be leaving tomorrow

HarleyRobin said:
http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/training-establishments/recruit-school-joining-instructions.page#annex-a

That's really weird you guys didn't get sent the joining instructions. If the link works everything is on that page, the kit list is closer to the bottom of the page but other than the documents and cash you have to bring, you only need to bring the "Civilian clothing" and "Other articles" lists, the other ones you get at Canex at BMQ.

Congrats and good luck! Must feel crazy to be leaving tomorrow

As reservists, they'll have already been issued their military kit. I've spoken with the lad already, he was not provided with a kit list. Someone didn't do their job. I told him to bring everything the CAF gave him, and gave him a short list of civilian items to bring as well.

If I already have my kit, should I arrive at Denison in my full combat fatigues?

Thanks for the help

Have you been taught how to wear it? If not, then no, because you'll look like a bag of smashed poo. As an aside, since you're on this course we're you given a kit list you could provide to your colleague who posted above? That would be one of those "looking after your buddy" things that we try to instill.

Radland1 said:
If I already have my kit, should I arrive at Denison in my full combat fatigues?

Thanks for the help

Show up in civvies, you haven't been taught how to wear your uniform yet as silly as that sounds.  You can have your uniform ready to go in one of your bags just in case as well.

Brihard said:
Have you been taught how to wear it? If not, then no, because you'll look like a bag of smashed poo. As an aside, since you're on this course we're you given a kit list you could provide to your colleague who posted above? That would be one of those "looking after your buddy" things that we try to instill.

Hey BriHard, thanks for the pointer, I will wear regular business casual clothing. Regarding the kit list, I wasn't given one so I decided to pack everything minus the winter gear. If I had a kit list I would gladly post it for the rest of the members going on this course.

Back