• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Boisclair won't apologize for "Slanted Eyes" remark

Bobby Rico said:
Frankly, I know what I am, and that's a Canadian whose sick and tired of all this PC crap being jammed down my throat.

Can someone articulate what's wrong with PC speech?

Shamrock said:
Can someone articulate what's wrong with PC speech?

can i , as a white man, walk down the street or go on TV and say "ni**er" ?

Why can a black man do it ?

thats whats wrong with PC

Nothing is wrong with PC speech as long as it does not go overboard.  For example, the Inuit don't like to be referred to as Eskimos.  Fair enough stop calling them that.  But calling a x-mas tree a holiday tree to appease someone else is going too far in my mind.  The pendulem swings too far sometimes.

CDN Aviator said:

Hmn, dangerous territory that.  I don't think you have to look too far to explain that one.

Crantor said:
  I don't think you have to look too far to explain that one.

Realy ?

So because a black man says it, it makes the word any less offensive ?

Crantor said:
Nothing is wrong with PC speech as long as it does not go overboard.  For example, the Inuit don't like to be referred to as Eskimos.  Fair enough stop calling them that.  But calling a x-mas tree a holiday tree to appease someone else is going too far in my mind.  The pendulem swings too far sometimes.

if you check it out, you will find that the word eskimo is Cree for "fish eater". That's why they don't want to be called eskimo.

GAP said:
if you check it out, you will find that the word eskimo is Cree for "fish eater". That's why they don't want to be called eskimo.

Yep.  It's eater of raw meat actually.  And it wasn't a term of endearment either.  How many people still use the term.  The fact is that it isn't PC.  Justified PC in this case.

CDN Aviator said:
Realy ?

So because a black man says it, it makes the word any less offensive ?

It's the context.  And yes I think so.  This is a term the "white man" villified.  Blacks have endured many attrocities and discrimination and the word embodies that.  People tend to to take what might oppress them and make it into some sort of symbol of solidarity.  At my high school, our mascot was a frog. (It was a french school).  The cross for example became a symbol for christians.

I'm not saying it's right.  Just a weird way people cope maybe. 

I'm no sociologist though so take it for what it's worth.

thanks. I remembered the Anglicized version, but you are correct.

It's been a long time since I redid the signage for the hospital I worked at from English, to Cree and from English to Innu-aimun syllabus (although the innu pronounced their language Inuktitut...not sure of spelling).

What a fun job...kinda like..now write this in Japanese without having a clue about writing the language. (the funniest translation turned out to be for laboratory....the place were they take blood.)

CDN Aviator said:

So, you want the authority to call a black man a "ni**er" while walking down a street?

I'll offer an opinion that will inevitably be misunderstood.

Before PC speech, an utterer would select a word and charge it with connotation, the audience would receive the utterance and translate it.  Since PC speech, however, the audience has been given the luxury of charging it themselves.  This places most of the burden of communication on the audience and not the utterer.  It's an egocentric means of communication and is depleting the tryadic nature of communication -- it's a perfect representation of our cultural values.  Me, me, me.  As we place more and more emphasis on PC speech, we place more and more emphasis on individualism.

Now, don't get me wrong, there are times when saying assholish things is just wrong.  And though I espouse utterer charged communication, that doesn't absolve the utterer from being reasonably aware of any reasonable offense his statements may offer.  'Slant-eyed student' can, to a reasonable person, be seen to be reasonably offensive given todays environment.  While people may not understand or agree with why it is offensive, he can understand that it gives offense and should couch his utterance accordingly.  

Boisclair is ignorant.I do not think he is a racist.PQ are always putting there foot in there mouth.

Shamrock said:
So, you want the authority to call a black man a "ni**er" while walking down a street?

I dont want the authority to say that word in public, i find it offensive myself.  What i am saying is that "whats good for the goose is good for the ghander" so to speak. if it is offensive for me to say it, it should be the same for anyone else.

Thats whats wrong with PC as we know it, different sets of rules......

I think at the end of the day at times, things can be taken out of context, or can be tounge in cheek, or someone  simply joking round between mates, but I feel these comments were uncalled for, and I am NOT a PC person by far.

As for the N word, I find it as rude as the C word, but I can understand how it can be used between people of the same background in slang, as its the context of how its used. In Australia the word wog is considered rude (usually means a middle eastern person), yet they call each other wogs, and there even was an Australian movie call The Wog Boy which really took the piss out of the lot of them, and it was funny, going over well with everyone.

Now even the C word in Australia can be used effectively as a good thing, it just depends on how its used, and I have used it, been called it (yet not offened), but its a localism with different meanings, like the F word. Look how we can use that, we can laugh about it, or we can take offence to it. Context is the key, but either way you would not flaunt such words in mixed company or around kids.

Bloody hell, I hope I am making some type of sense.

Cheers,

Wes

The worst thing Boisclair is guilty of is ignorant generalization.  If he'd merely said one third of the campus all look the same to him, would the high horse be expiring under the same crushing weight of his overzealous critics?

frist one said:
Boisclair is ignorant.I do not think he is a racist...

I'll agree with that.

The fact that he IS so ignorant makes me wonder what kind of "national" leader he'd make.

I hope the voters of Quebec see the same thing we're seeing - an ignorant man cannot be an effective leader.

Roy

Roy Harding said:
I hope the voters of Quebec see the same thing we're seeing - an ignorant man cannot be an effective leader.

Roy,

My entire family lives in PQ...they would all agree with you as would I

CDN Aviator said:
I dont want the authority to say that word in public, i find it offensive myself.  What i am saying is that "whats good for the goose is good for the ghander" so to speak. if it is offensive for me to say it, it should be the same for anyone else.

So, you want equal rights to say equal things regardless of your experience, culture, or ethnicity?  Should this be a universally held truth?

Back