• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Borden Medics Rideouts with Angus Paramedics

The one concern I have isn't so much ridealongs, but actual MCSP, which aren't quite the same thing.  In theory (at least in places where I have ridden along) you're there as an observer, though a trained one.  For MCSP, the problem is that the people actually have to run the calls - they are in fact (supposed to be) working as a second or as a third under supervision.  It's not really the same thing to sit back and watch vs getting your hands (and other body parts) dirty.  I was under the impression that the liability issue was dealt with long before this happened, but apparently not.  We were actually discussing this when I was at a 4 Group Ops Conference not long ago - our CIMIC folks were in talking about this and other issues with us.

I guess this is going to be a big watch and shoot thing - we're being mandated to do stuff before the ink is even scribbled on to paper yet for MOU's.  If nothing else, it'll be good for a laugh.  BTW, thanks for digging around at your end there NS.

MM

Just so you know.....at least in the area of NS where I work......there are no observers......we don't leave you to sink or swim......but you don't ride a truck and get to watch the action from the background either.

Sorry....but what does MCSP stand for again?

I am not sure of the exact phrasing, but it is along the lines of: maintenance of competency and skills program.
Not sure what it is, but I know its a pain in our butt getting our people on it and thru all the loopholes they need to do.
It is the number one complaint that Ptes are not coming into Fd Amb employable. They have to do ride alongs, they have to attend two weeks of training in Valcartier as well as jumping thru a couple other hoops before they can be employed on an ambulance by themselves.

Gunner98 said:
The Renfrew experience has been very positive and worth every penny.   Those who go from PCP or PCP bridging on to the civ ambs in Renfrew rave about the experience.   Beats and balances a tour of a BMC or UMS.

The experience has been good for 1 CFH pers. unfortunately we across the street don't seem to be sending as many...perhaps because the majority are gone backfilling UMSs, doing CFMG driven tasks and tours. (yes I am bitchin').

MCSP - Maintenance of Clinical Skills Program.

CFHS theory:
Throughout Canada a significant number of military clinicians have become integral members of health service agencies, including hospitals, through an exclusive Maintenance of Clinical Skills Program (MCSP). This program hones professional skills through every-day practice and makes a valued contribution to community health care while at the same time, provides an experienced cadre from which to draw when the exigencies of operations demand it. Some Physician Assistants and Medical Technicians are placed in regional trauma facilities or ambulance services, consistent with their equivalency qualifications, in order to rigorously exercise their skills and advance their expertise. Additionally, other Health Service Technicians, such as Medical Laboratory, Operating Room and X-Ray are placed in civilian facilities in their respective fields of practice. While MCSP is a complex program to administer, it has proven to be of enormous value both to the Canadian Forces and to the health care organizations with which we partner. For members of CF Medical and dental teams employed in isolated or practice-limited environments, distributive learning opportunities are also being explored to ensure that MCSP objectives can be pursued.

All I can say is it's great in theory, would be better in reality, but it fails to take into consideration that their are units out there that have their people so busy doing their primary jobs that there is no way that they'll be able to keep their primary and secondary tasks fulfilled AND do this.  Forget the fact that all this stuff got sent to use BEFORE all the MOU's were in place for us to work wherever, forget about the need to back fill those people that are out and about.  I'm not sure if I should keep laughing or just write all my counterparts now and just say don't plan on getting any tasks filled for a period of x months while we get this sorted out.  Betting backfill is like pulling hen's teeth, what with no fills secondary to adventure training, cool tasks, people being hidden and just plain burnout of troops.  It isn't going to get much better for awhile either.

Anyway, I think my spleen is back to normalish size now.  Thanks again NS for your info.

MM

Back