• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Borden Thread- Merged

Sweet talk a limo driver into giving you a flat rate deal.  Probably less than a taxi, and it's a limo.  ;)

2332Piper said:
The issue is, a very close friend of mine is going to be a staff cadet at the Blackdown camp nearby and she has insisted that I take her on leave one weekend. Which is all fine and dandy, but I don't have much of a way to pick her up and then get to Barrie without my car. So, what modes of transport are available to me to get from Borden to Barrie on a weekend? And if anyone has any bright ideas of how to get into the bowels of Borden to get her, that would be helpful too.
This is important, if I don't take her on leave I'll never hear the end of it from her.    :D    

So what you are basically saying is that you really want to impress this girl because you got a crush and want to hook up with her.... ;)  Good attempt at trying to conceal it, though.  I would look into the limo, or even a 'town car' service.  Some limo places have lincold town cars or similiar for individuals wanting a ride but without a limo.  Besides, think of the slagging you would get if your course mates saw you going out with this girl and the limo pulling up to the gate, although, it may be worth it if no other service is available...

Hey!  Here's a radical, thinking outside the box, pushing the outer edge of the envelope idea from the OLD guy propped up here in the corner.....  I don't suppose SHE has a drivers license, does she?

;D

Tom

2332Piper said:
Thats what I'm looking for really, what bus routes are available, when they run etc. And, of course, what a taxi ride is going to cost me.

And lame band course? Phhh, who joins the army to play in the mud like you?  ;)

no freakin offence but a ot of people do :cdn: `)

Just gotta make sure I look cool going down to the cadet camp to pick one up for a weekend, that'll look just great.    "Shes a close friend who happens to still be in cadets, I swear"..."yah right, pervert".  

Or you can be a man and tell her to be waiting at a point of your choosing and not to be late, then joke about it saying if she's not there at that time you're going to leave and go with another girl...   trust me 8)

Not as bad as propping up the bar of the Corianno Club and saying "My girlfriend is taking me out to dinner as soon as she is finished with her paper route."

How does it go...'Half your age plus seven years?'

;D

You don't seem to understand. She knows me far too well, she has me wrapped around her finger. Its terrible, just terrible. "Yes dear, no dear, three bags full dear".

Piper, you're already on your way to crossing over to the dark side.   Fortunately, you are still young enough to be saved.   When you are out with her, exert dominance, show leadership, use proper posture, and just relax.   Jokingly, make fun of what she does, says, wears, etc.   Make sure that when making eye contact with her, she looks away first, never look away before she does. Remember, you can't respect someone who licks your boots...   Don't cater to her every whim, and when shes asks for you to do things for her, sometimes crack a joke saying, "what's in it for me?", just think of where a line like that can go. ;)   There's tonnes of other girls you could be out with, and that she needs you, you don't need her, she if the one vying for your attention.   I've just given you the basic and a good foundation to build upon.   You are now on your way to becoming a jedi master such as myself... 8)

I have read a lot of information in regards to different PMQ's in different bases.  I have seen a few posts in regards to Borden's PMQ's but most of them have been "when I was there 15 years ago..."  I am posted there after Basic training and was hoping to get a PMQ (I am single and don't wish to live in Barracks) and am not really interested in living off base as I am not a great winter driver.  My main question is that if the rent is 720$ for a 2 bedroom, what should I expect for heating costs?  Are they so lacking in insulation that I would be forking out a fortune to heat one?  Should I really reconsider living off base and paying anywhere from 900$ and up for a 2 bedroom apartment that is all inclusive? 
Thanks for all responses.
P

Your first step, if you haven't already done it, is to find out if they have enough vacant PMQs that they will allow Single Personnel to move into them.  You may find that you will have to find a place off Base, or compelled to live in the Shacks.  Remember, Staff are not treated like Students when they live in Quarters.

Thanks for the quick response George.
I have done the research in the aspect that there are available PMQ's.  Not sure what you meant by "Remember, Staff are not treated like Students when they live in Quarters."  Could you please clarify?  I am not going to be a student in Borden if that is what you are referring to.

P

I think that it comes down to a few other things as well like are you going to be doing PAT with the PRETC or are you doing your QL3's there and how long are you goign to be there?  Are you actually going to be working in your field straight from BMQ without any trainging for your career choice?

Hi Shadow Cat,

Yes I am direct entry as semi-skilled and am posted to Borden.  I am going there to work, not for training and not for PAT.  I don't know how long my posting there is for as I have yet to receive that information and am not sure if they give you that information until you are there.  Anyways, do you happen to know what it costs to heat a PMQ there?  What there current state is? 

P

Cool just wanted to double check on that becuase I think that that makes a difference.

I have a friend that lives there and she loves her PMQ.  It was recently redone.  She has mentioned though that there is a really bad breeze from the door and windows coming through and that you can tell that the insulation is lacking. I guess she was out gardening and was able to hear a converstiaont aht was held between her DH and DS.  YIKES!!!

Other than that she likes it.

I live in Borden in the Q's and found that the 3 bedroom duplex that I pay $742.00 a month for is better then finding an apartment in town for more money. Especially if you don't like winter driving. The places that would be available to you in Angus (apartments) aren't the best from what I see. I am married with two kids and find that we need the heat on in the day with kids home, but if you're working all day and then coming home and putting the heat up to warm the place once you're home...you'll be just fine. It's really not that bad for heating. Good luck.

Taracotta

Hi, I'm common-law with a 5-yr old and DH just finished BMQ. He's in Borden right now (PAT) - will know when his training starts this week. Depending on the answer, we might move to be with him in 5-6 months from now.

So here's my ?

I heard that they have 2-bedroom bungalows... Do you know how much the rent is for those, if there's a basement and/or yard? Are they old (mold... insulation...)? The reason why we would like a bungalow is because of our son's handicap (he doesn't walk and falls often, so stairs might be quite dangerous...) We could also buy gates to block the stairs, so its not an absolute obligation to be in a bungalow...

What would YOU suggest? What is the rent$$ like? Are some PMQ's more recent than others or renovated? I never lived on a base before so anything will help.

Thanks  :)

Your Husband might be able to find out that answer for you ( and more specific to your needs)

Good luck,

Ben

When I lived there, we were in a 3 bedroom semi-detached.  No basement, but nice and spacey 2-floor deal.  We also had a pretty big yard.  Our PMQ was near everything (Can-ex, school, park, campground)  However, I don't recall seeing any bungalows... sorry. 

Nonetheless, Borden is great for children.  Your family will enjoy it there, I am sure. :)

I have lived in Borden for 2 years.  Its a nice place.  Great for families.

If you need any info just google CFHA
Heres the info you req.

House Type No. Bdrms No. Units    sq. ft.          Shelter Charge
Single house          4          48    1120-1673      $855 - $931
Single house          3        262      952-1522      $812 - $903
Single house          2          92        729-758          $713

Row house            2          66                            $584 - $708

Duplex                  4          216      1217-1661      $717 - $793
Duplex                  3          326        998-1520      $694 - $765
Duplex                  2          62              914                $684

No they are not moldy, smelly or crappy.
There are hardwood floors throughout, big beautiful backyards with lots of places to go, shop, run, play etc etc...

Fear not, it's not a dump.  You'll like it here.  Very laid back and a great place to be.

http://www.bordenfrc.org/
link for the family resource cent.

Good luck.

Back