• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Borden Thread- Merged

I'm more curious just what sort of impact a letter delivery to dear old Karl would invoke. 

jollyjacktar said:
I'm more curious just what sort of impact a letter delivery to dear old Karl would invoke.

Maybe this:

(From wiki http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Karl_Albrecht,_Elector_of_Bavaria)

"Charles VII Albert (6 August 1697 – 20 January 1745) was Prince-elector of Bavaria from 1726 and Holy Roman Emperor from 24 January 1742 until his death in 1745."

or

"Shortly after the coronation most of Charles Albert's territories were overrun by the Austrians and Bavaria was occupied by the troops of Maria Theresa. Therefore the emperor fled Munich and resided for almost three years in the Palais Barckhaus in Frankfurt. He was made mockery of, since he was an emperor that neither controlled his own realm, nor was in effective control of the empire itself, though the institution of the Holy Roman Emperor has largely become symbolic in nature and powerless by this time. A popular saying about him in Latin was et Caesar et nihil, meaning "as well Emperor, as nothing", playing words on aut Caesar aut nihil, "either Emperor or nothing". Charles Albert's general Ignaz Felix Count of Törring-Jettenbach was compared with a drum, as people heard about him only when he was beaten."

I'd be telling him to open the letter only after I left the building . 8)

But the question everyone is afraid to ask:

Why were you looking for time-travel jobs in Borden?

dapaterson said:
But the question everyone is afraid to ask:

Why were you looking for time-travel jobs in Borden?

He's posted there now and........

I am back in Borden for a few months this fall and could not help but notice how the base has really deteriorated. Everyone crammed into one dining hall, grounds keeping and cleaner staff pretty much non-existent, and to cap things off, the mess was out of Creemore beer last week. (I am joking about the beer of course) Sad to see how the place has gone down hill. I hope the new Base Commander is able to turn things around.

If you had not noticed there is also construction going on all over the base, that's why things are cramped, suffer a lit bit for progress

I agree. Insert most any base location into your comment. Not a BComd failure as much as a tremendous funding shortfall. The is simply no money. At my last base I could not even take care of all the mandated/compliance issues that "send you to jail" let alone make general improvements. It makes me sad. The 1CAD HQ in Winnipeg has broken front steps, dirty signage, weeds growing everywhere, thread bare carpets, broken paper towel dispensers, etc. Just no money.  However, part of the reason for no money is new construction in Wpg and elsewhere. New buildings are great, but expensive to build and maintain.

Every time the puzzle palace has to "find" money or cut costs the O&M budget suffers. O&M = Operations and Maintenance in the CE world. I've seen this cycle happen a few times during my career and now in my second career supporting CE I get it first hand... PAdm is 100% correct. The Base/Wing CEO's have no money to fix stuff. Construction money comes from a different account and projects that were started in the big money days of a few years ago have to be completed and there is some Capitol money around for new construction as well for smaller projects.

The place hasn't been the same since Angus Gosse left, and took his Armoured mentality with him ;)

MilEME09 said:
If you had not noticed there is also construction going on all over the base, that's why things are cramped, suffer a lit bit for progress

Gee wow, no I hadn't, been walking around with my eyes closed. But a few new buildings means we have to close all the dining halls but one? I don't think so, different budget all together.

Looking for more information on "Staff Mods" are like in Borden, whats included? layouts etc.

So 2016 is the centennial for CFB Borden. Part of the celebrations is an air show on June.  So the general public will be able to see the sad state of 12 and 13 Hangars. I doubt they would be able to restore the structures due to lack of funds/time and the level of deterioration. So even though they are historically designated buildings do you think DND could still demolish them to avoid the embarrassment?  They wouldn't be the first to on the old line. I saw them in the summer and in my opinion they are at the point of no return and should come down.

Tulsa01 said:
So 2016 is the centennial for CFB Borden. Part of the celebrations is an air show on June.  So the general public will be able to see the sad state of 12 and 13 Hangars. I doubt they would be able to restore the structures due to lack of funds/time and the level of deterioration. So even though they are historically designated buildings do you think DND could still demolish them to avoid the embarrassment?  They wouldn't be the first to on the old line. I saw them in the summer and in my opinion they are at the point of no return and should come down.

I've seen worse looking buildings get fixed up, you'll never see anyone get permission to demolish a historical site. Eventually either A they will fix it, or B it will fall down from disrepair

Like most of the "old" buildings in Borden, it will fall down through benign neglect and be bull dozed. A  sad commentary on what once was a proud and functional military base.

ueo said:
Like most of the "old" buildings in Borden, it will fall down through benign neglect and be bull dozed. A  sad commentary on what once was a proud and functional military base.

So the new:

MP Building
CFRG
Health services
Base HQ (in construction)
2x Kitchens
CFLTC
P-198 (quarters)

Don't count?  We don't need more old infrastructure to upkeep.  Some of those bldgs granted are older but infrastructure wise they are young. We should be bulldozing buildings that take up an inordinate amount of our CE dollars.

Agreed. Get rid of old buildings that are not worth the upkeep. It is important to ensure the users have a place to move to (obviously). Keeping old junk buildings around for historical purposes or nostalgia is a giant waste of tax payers money.

Borden is still very much a military functioning base.

ArmyRick said:
Agreed. Get rid of old buildings that are not worth the upkeep. It is important to ensure the users have a place to move to (obviously). Keeping old junk buildings around for historical purposes or nostalgia is a giant waste of tax payers money.

Borden is still very much a military functioning base.

It was someone's keeping old junk buildings around that eventually made them historical buildings.  Had they been demolished when they became beyond repair or unused years ago, before someone designated them "Historical" we would not be where we are today.

ArmyRick said:
We have plenty of historical buildings.

It isn't numbers.  It is architectural designs.  E1 in Petawawa had attempts being made to preserve it as a Historic Building, it being the original "Diefenbunker" and all, but it was demolished because there was a similar designed building in Calgary.  You will probable see only one each of the '50's style Barracks Blocks and Messes preserved if they ever get a "Historical" status.  Only one example of an architectural design need be preserved.  Should it be lost; well that is another story.

Why does it matter if it's a historic property? I was under the impression that the hangers at ASU Toronto where deemed historic properties, and they've since been torn down.

Back