• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Borden Thread- Merged

The hangars at Mountain View were historically designated and they were demolished while they were still in pretty good condition, 1 Hangar just came down a couple months ago. Seems like you just need a good enough reason...

Some of the Downsview hangars were owned by Bombardier. There was no interest in saving them, as no tenants/buyers could be found - and empty buildings deteriorate and become hazardous.

Hello Everyone!

Have QL3 RMS Training in Borden. I was curious as to what items I should bring that would make CFB Boredom much more better and imrpove my personal morale and quality of life.

So far I have thought of:
Cleaning:
  • Bounce Sheets/Detergent
  • Laundry Bag
  • Swiffer Pads
  • Mr. Clean Magic Eraser

Supplemental Kit:
  • Boot Blackener and Polish
  • Sewing Kit
  • Iron/mini Ironing board (Do they provide ironing boards?)
  • Locks
  • Note Book, Pens

Personal Hygiene:
  • Gold Bond foot powder
  • Baby wipes
  • Toiletries

Quality of Life Items:
  • Laptop (Will buy internet w/ my mod if possible)
  • MP3/earphones for listening to podcasts
  • Board game (Cards Against Humanity)
  • Tiny Alarm Clock Radio
  • A book or two

Questions:
[list type=decimal]
[*]Any Suggestions on what else to bring to QL3 RMS BORDEN?
[*]Do I need Double Toiletries? I.e. two sets of toothpaste, one for inspection, other personal use?
[*]Any Tips, expectations?
[/list]

- The gym is really good if you like that.
- A bathing suit (pool was open various times)
- it is $60 with taxi 1 way to get from Borden to Barrie so keep that in mind. (From there you can grey hound to Toronto).
- Re: internet our staff let us, but no one did. I honestly preffered not having internet everyone was so much closer as a course
- Router? We did some LAN parties on the weekend depending on if that is your thing. Might be a Sig thing. ;D
-Seemed to be bi weekly activities (at least in the summer) (Toronto FC game, Wonderland, Downtown Toronto experience).  Not sure if they run these year round.
-Free wifi at tims (good enough to Skype) but no outlets. There is also Wi-Fi at the JRs.
-CANEX is really good, has a subway, tims, barbershop.

Question #2. Your call

Question 3:
I enjoyed my time at Borden but it is true that there wasnt a whole lot to do on weekends if you don't have a car. (I also didn't look that hard because I was only there 2 months on a course)

For internet, it could be useful to make friends with people on other courses that are longer (PMed comes to mind since it is 9 months). If they are in the same shack as you, you might be able to split a month or two of internet with them.

Rilado said:
Have QL3 RMS Training in Borden. I was curious as to what items I should bring that would make CFB Boredom much more better and imrpove my personal morale and quality of life.

For future reference, perhaps this discussion will be merged with,

Borden Thread- Merged 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/35567.50

See also,

Living in Borden.
http://army.ca/forums/threads/108980.0
"I'm currently awaiting my BMQ date, I have already been sworn in and actually I'm supposed to be already starting BMQ today. Due to a ankle fracture in Novemer it got postponed. Me and my RC are aiming for Feb 11th 2013 (on a side note anyone else going then?) Anyway back to the question at hand, I have looked all over this site for what living in Borden, On will be like, all I find is BMQ nothing about what's after. If it helps I'm going in as. Aviation Technition. So if someone could please answer me tht would be awesome!"

Internet in Borden 
http://webcache.googleusercontent.com/search?q=cache:12aoYB7XYDcJ:army.ca/forums/index.php%3Ftopic%3D115532.0+&cd=1&hl=en&ct=clnk&gl=ca

Am also in bordeni on awatr. That's basically all you need. Laptop with some movies saved my life. Even with a car, unless you wanna blow your money there isn't much to do around the area.  Locks for your locker, one for your gym locker when you go.

Lots of people with WiFi. Find someone to split or get your own from rogers and see if anyone wants to chip in.

Common rooms have TV with cable.

Hello everyone , since I need to plan my trip to Borden for the 23rd , I went online on Google maps and looked at the directions.

So I am leaving from Trois-Rivières Quebec , straight to Borden. 

So they tell me to drive up to the 401 which is okay , then they tell me to take the exit to go on the 412 then up to 407 until I reach the 400. 

Google maps also tells me that the 407 is a highway that you need to pay in order to drive onto it.  I went on 407ETR.com tried to understand how much that would cost me and also how to pay for it but it was way more complicated then what I thought it should be hahaha.

So is this the fastest route ? Should I do it differently ? How much can this trip amount to ?

Thanks !

This may help,

HWY 407 Map and Toll calculator
https://www.407etr.com/en/tolls/tolls/toll-calculator.html

krimynal said:
Hello everyone , since I need to plan my trip to Borden for the 23rd , I went online on Google maps and looked at the directions.

So I am leaving from Trois-Rivières Quebec , straight to Borden. 

So they tell me to drive up to the 401 which is okay , then they tell me to take the exit to go on the 412 then up to 407 until I reach the 400. 

Google maps also tells me that the 407 is a highway that you need to pay in order to drive onto it.  I went on 407ETR.com tried to understand how much that would cost me and also how to pay for it but it was way more complicated then what I thought it should be hahaha.

So is this the fastest route ? Should I do it differently ? How much can this trip amount to ?

Thanks !

The 412 is a brand new recently opened stretch of Ontario Highway, linking the 401 to the 407 ETR east of Pickering.  Once you reach the 407 ETR it's "pay as you go".  You're probably looking at $30-$40 bucks one way, maybe less.  Your best option, just stay on the 401 westbound and keep an eye out for the 400 North to Barrie which will be just after Keele Street/Allen Rd.

For the most part, the 407 ETR, while being a toll highway, will bypass the majority of the Toronto traffic as it runs through the north end of the GTA.  The 407 will save you some time but it all depends on the time of day you are passing through.

Pretty much boils down to "personal preference".  Do I pay or don't I pay.

The 401 across Metro is up to 18 lanes wide. If you have never driven it Krim, you are in for a memorable experience!  :)

I've done the drive numerous times and if you are driving during off peak/ non rush hour you should be fine on the 401 as long as there are no accidents, police cars, or special people  :facepalm:. You can always attempt  to drive on the 401 and bail if it gets bad and take the 407. I prefer to keep things simple and just do 401 to 400.

You could take the 412 to Hwy 7.  Hwy 7 WEST to the 404 NORTH to NEWMARKET, exiting onto Hwy 19 WEST and then North on Hwy 1 (Yonge Street) and follow it to where it turns into Hwy 4 (still Yonge Street) on into BARRIE. 

In BARRIE Yonge Street turns into Burton Ave ending in a T-Junction at Essa Rd....Essa Rd left to the 400 (Exit 94) and then NORTH to Exit 96B (?) onto Dunlop St where signage will direct you to CFB BORDEN....straight SW on Donlop St W (Hwy 90) to ANGUS and the Base.

Thanks George , I did set up an other itinerary on Google maps , a bit more complex but it gets me there without having to pay , I might give it a shot and hope I don't get lost ....

I just don't want to be stuck on the 401 at peak hours because It will add me about 2-3 more hours to my drive lol .....

I guess I'll have to get use to that !

I saw that HGW7 is basically right next to 407 .... is it filled at peak hours? does it make sense to hop on HGW7 to HGW400 instead of 401 to 400 ?

Another option:

Hwy 40 to Montreal, skirting Montreal to North, then back on the 40 (Quebec) to 417 (Ontario) to OTTAWA.  Follow the 417 WEST towards Pembroke and then cut down into Algonquin Park to get on the 400 at HUNTSVILLE.....Then SOUTH to BARRIE.

krimynal said:
I saw that HGW7 is basically right next to 407 .... is it filled at peak hours? does it make sense to hop on HGW7 to HGW400 instead of 401 to 400 ?

Hwy 7 in that section has become city streets with lots of traffic lights.

Just an FYI the new section of the 407 running from Harmony RD in Oshawa out to the original portion I believe in Ajax is FREE until the end of the year.

drbones said:
I've done the drive numerous times and if you are driving during off peak/ non rush hour you should be fine on the 401 as long as there are no accidents, police cars, or special people  :facepalm:.

Less volume and less stupidity on the 407.

Help! Directions to CFB Borden... 
http://army.ca/forums/threads/29541.0.html
Get on the 400.  Keep driving North until you feel your IQ drop about about 30 points. Congatulations, you're in Borden!

We used to troop-lift via the old HWY 50 to Borden. Went through Bolton, Palgrave, Loretto....

Krim, DO NOT attempt to go that way!  :)

Teager said:
Just an FYI the new section of the 407 running from Harmony RD in Oshawa out to the original portion I believe in Ajax is FREE until the end of the year.

"...open from Brock Road in Pickering to Harmony Road in Oshawa, will be toll-free until the new year.
http://www.cp24.com/news/new-stretch-of-hwy-407-opens-in-durham-and-will-be-toll-free-until-2017-1.2952817

Alright , so I might finish up by going 401-400 ....

I don't know yet , I'll check out the time difference from the itinerary , but I could always go 407 and simply pay the bill ( I guess they will mail me the bill )

Maybe it's worth 20-30$ to save a ton of traffic and might be quite easier that way

Back