• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Borden Thread- Merged

krimynal said:
Alright , so I might finish up by going 401-400 ....

I don't know yet , I'll check out the time difference from the itinerary , but I could always go 407 and simply pay the bill ( I guess they will mail me the bill )

Maybe it's worth 20-30$ to save a ton of traffic and might be quite easier that way

Might save you some aggravation.  :)
http://il9.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/10808063/thumb/1.jpg

By the way, are you bring your pets with you?

I agree; avoid the 401 like the plague if you can take the 407.  It's been a while (2008) since I drove it with out-of-province plates, but at that time they never sent me a bill for the 407, despite the signs saying that out-of-province plates would be billed.  It's worth it no matter how you slice it.  And yes, the bill would be mailed to the address of the plate owner.

mariomike ,

Not on the first trip , Ill wait and see if I can get a PMQ , if they allow me a PMQ , I will try to let them know about my reptiles and see what happens , if they don't allow me , I might have to get an apartment close to newmarket ( where it is 100% legal ) and commute from there to base

Good luck with locating in Newmarket. Usual morning commute is 1 to 1.5hrs. Return about the same. No direct routes. (north on 11 to Barrie or west on 88 or something to 27 or 50 and then north, etc.) Rental prices are foolish. Also COC may not permit this as you are outside the usual geographic limits established by DND, best check this out tho' as I'm some 10 years removed from the system.

Basic process to live outside geo boundaries when I did it several years ago:

- submit request (better be well written!) to CO thru CoC.  CO denies, it stops there.
- if CO approves, request is forwarded to (in my case) the Wing Pers Svcs O.  If denied, stops there or mbr can ask CoC for assistance.
- if Wing/Base Pers Svc O approves, request is forwarded to DCBA for consideration and final approval/denial.

IF DCBA denies, the mbr will not be given the benefits of a cost move to their posting.  Additionally, because they chose to move to an unapproved (by DCBA) area, on their next posting they will also not qualify for a cost move.

That's a few years old of course, but I was approved.  However, I am also just barely outside the geo area - 2 minute drive and I am inside it.

the more I look at it , the more I feel like my girlfriend will have to stay in Quebec with the pets while I will be in Borden doing my training. 

Section 2.6 Authority to reside outside geographical boundaries

http://www.forces.gc.ca/en/about-policies-standards-benefits-relocation/2014-directive-amend-ch2.page#sec-02-06

I guess Ill try but at the end of the day ...... CAF decides what they want and I simply follow ;)

ueo said:
Good luck with locating in Newmarket. Usual morning commute is 1 to 1.5hrs. Return about the same. No direct routes. (north on 11 to Barrie or west on 88 or something to 27 or 50 and then north, etc.) Rental prices are foolish. Also COC may not permit this as you are outside the usual geographic limits established by DND, best check this out tho' as I'm some 10 years removed from the system.

Not sure which route you were taking but commuted from Bradford (just North of Newmarket) to Borden for 4 years.  400 North to Innisfil Beach Road...slight jog at Thornton to County Road 21 and straight across to the road leading to the South gate.  45 minutes on a good day...47 on a bad day unless things have changed drastically in the last 4 years.  The in-town driving in Newmarket is likely to be the biggest headache.

mariomike said:
The 401 across Metro is up to 18 lanes wide. If you have never driven it Krim, you are in for a memorable experience!  :)
I'll second MarioMike-:) it's worth an experience that you'll love it.

Let there be light.

401W aaaaaall the way down then hop on the 400N toward barrie until you see signs for CFB Borden haha. E Z P Z

Yeah I did drive on the 401 and 400 , those highways are just huge , it's crazy hahaha

Hi,
        I just got accepted to the RegF and got my leadership school waived from my time in the PRes. They told me that I need to go to Borden for September 13, 2016. I have a few questions regarding the apartments in Borden for the Healtg Services School. My apologies if these were asked already.

1. As a student at the CFHS (assumingly in PAT Platoon until training begins), does anyone know the contents of the apartment or dorm or whatever it may be?

2. Dimensions would help as well.

3. Is it possible to apply for the PMQ (housing outside the base)?

That's all for now,
Thanks you for your time and patience!

I've got some questions about life in Borden after BMQ.
A little background on my situation- just got enrolled into RegF on Monday morning here in Winnipeg, Mb, leave for basic on Jan. 6th, basic starts on the 8th. After basic I'm headed to Borden for my veh tech training at RCEME. I am wondering what life while on course is like? I understand that while on PAT it can be difficult mentally (boredom) but I haven't found anything related to what life is like while actually on course (specifically the veh tech course).

I read that while on course I will not have the option to take a little time off. I understand that from here on in this is a career and I can't take time off every time I finish a course, however I was hoping that I would be able to fly back home and spend a weekend with my girlfriend and family, and then drive back to Borden in my truck with things like clothes, laptop, etc. and other things to go through everyday life with as I plan on bringing the most minimal of extras to BMQ.

Also in regards to my truck. I understand that in most situations if someone has lived in one spot for 6 months or longer, it technically becomes there place of residence. Does this still apply when a person is there specifically for training rather than being posted? I am all new to this (both military life and being away from home for an extended period of time)  and I haven't any idea how this works specifically. I am concerned with having to insure my truck in Ontario after (if) that becomes my place of residence. Perhaps I am totally wrong on this?

Thanks,

On pat platoon you will be able to take leave....once on course not so much unless it falls in the summer leave block, march break, or christmas break. Pat is a regular day, as is most of your course with a few short field exercises in there as well.

If you can fly and drive back in a weekend then have at er, I did that a few times from NS back to borden years ago when I was on PAT. You can get internet in the shacks. We used to split it between a few rooms to cut down the costs. So bring your laptop back and civy clothes.

As for the specifics with your truck....I know what the rules are yada yada yada but I wouldnt bother changing license and registration until you are posted after course.

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

How do you find base Borden? Is it strict or are there certain things that are different coming from basic training?

Check with AUTOPAC re registration/insurance of your vehicle and driver's licence. Phone the Head Office rather than an agent, explain the situation re military, etc. If they say it is ok to be out of the province for 6 or so months ask for a letter. Some insurance clause say you must change addresses within x months. Failure to do so means no coverage. But if your principal residence is in Manitoba, eg your parent's residence, until you are posted, you may be ok.

Back