• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Both partners in the military.

lost4words

Inactive
Reaction score
I wasn't really sure where to put this, so if this is in the wrong spot, I'm sorry, and please feel free to move it.

My fiance (soon to be husband) is just finishing up the recruiting process (hopefully gone by August) and I will beginning my application in September when I have reached my fitness goals.  I know enough to know that we will unfortunately be apart for the first year or more for our training, and I can deal with that.  My question however is after all the training (or at least the initial training) is said and done, how likely is it that we will be posted together?

I know every situation is different, but I would appreciate any input.  I love my country and feel that this is something that I must do, but I will admit, not being together will make it rough.

While career managers try to post spouses together, it doesn't always work out.

One significant factor is the likelihood of both trades being needed on the same base.  Infantry + Clerk have pretty good chances; Artillery + Bosun, not so much.

lost4words said:
My question however is after all the training (or at least the initial training) is said and done, how likely is it that we will be posted together?

I know every situation is different, but I would appreciate any input.  I love my country and feel that this is something that I must do, but I will admit, not being together will make it rough.

Every situation is different and it always depends on trade (compatibility and openings), the size of the base (the bigger the better) and what the military needs.

For instance, if one of you is a hard Army trade, and one hard Navy or Air, expect to be posted apart.  However, if you are both purple trades, or at least one of you is, there's a good chance you can be posted to the same base.  The military tries to keep couples together, however, there's no guarantee.  I'm a PMed Tech and my spouse is a Sig Op.  We are on our second separate posting since we've been married (13 years in 5 days).  However, my trade is quite small, too.  At least this time we're only a two hour drive apart.

First off, Congradulations on being married 13 years.  ;D

Second, my fiance is going in for Aircraft Structure Tech and I'm going for Avonics Systems Technican. 

In a case like yours, you will probably have no problems being posted to the same Bases, up to such time as you or your spouse/ or both of you get promoted into senior ranks in your Trade, where there will be fewer positions and Postings.

And just in case you were wondering there is at least one air base in every province with the exception of PEI.

SGT-RMSCLK said:
And just in case you were wondering there is at least one air base in every province with the exception of PEI.

Well, if you want to consider the Hel Ots Sqn in Gagetown, NB as a "base" I suppose.

ArmyVern said:
Well, if you want to consider the Hel Ots Sqn in Gagetown, NB as a "base" I suppose.

Ooops! My Bad.  Add NB to the exclusion list too.  :)

:cdn:My husband and I are in the first steps of preparing ourselves to begin the recruiting process. My husband is going first, upgrading a few credits and hopefully before the new year he will be on his way to basic. His career choice is E.O. Tech. We do have children and we are hoping to do whatever we can to help balance both careers. We are both really excited to take such a positive step in giving back to our beautiful country. What I am searching for is some information on Service Spouses in the CF reg.  force and how the balance works. Any suggestions appreciated.

There are some excellent threads here on exactly that circumstances, if you do a search. I remember reading them.

It worked amazingly well for my sister and brother-in-law. But, they met after BMQ, and neither had children. To make it even more interesting, one was commissioned after marriage! They raised a family together. She's my only sibling, and a real success story in my book. All thanks to the CF! The only downside is we haven't seen her very often since she was 18.
Best of luck to you!

Have a look at the threads in The Home Front.  http://forums.milnet.ca/forums/index.php/board,49.0.html

In fact - I'll move this thread there.

Roy Harding
Milnet.ca Staff

I've been in 30 years my wife's been in 24. She got out for a few years to have kids. Back then there was no MATA/PATA. We are both in the Navy and both had hard sea trades. It was tough at first as we had no family in town. Once my wifes parents moved to Halifax it was much easier. If you ask my kids if they were tramutised they'd say no. My son is an AVS Tech in the Air Force and my daughter is looking at being a Medic. My wife was hurt at sea and had to remuster to RMS. Our marriage is still very strong today. Everytime one of us came home it was the start of another honeymoon. There were times when we were both away. Not often though. I can remember the kids asking once who was going to make supper that night. I was supposed to go out and my wife was due in. I told them that if no one was home by 6 go to "Grandma's diner".

Like I said we have a very strong relationship and with our kids as well. Actually as I write this my son and his wife are sitting on our couch in from Halifax. The decided to spend their 2 weeks leave with us. My daughter flew back a couple of days ago. They both still want to spend time with us over their friends.

Both of us being in the military has in no way had a negitive effect on the family. Neither kid got into trouble growing up, outside the normal stuff. The life is what you make it and how you make it work. We did except for missing a couple of birthdays and christmas' I have no regrets.

Your response is exactly what we needed to hear.  The strength and dedication your family has is inspirational. We are looking forward to the challenges and hope to make a double career work for our own family. My husband is going first. We do not have much extended family and wonder what how we would face the challenge of both being away from our children, but time will shed light on that I hope. Thankyou for being so honest.

Hey

My boyfriend and I are joining together...  well it's been a year and a half since we started the whole process, at this point we are both enrolled but still waiting for training to begin. We both chose officer trades in the army... and I have to say that in this process 4 different recruiters suggest me the same thing: "if you want to maximize your chances to be posted with your spouse I recommend you to choose the trade Resource Management Support Clerk"

Send me a PM if you have any questions
Good luck

Hello everyone I have a question, I am quite worried. I know I am a bit crazy asking this right now since I haven't started my BMQ yet but it's something that has been bugging me quite a bit.

I am joining as a Met Tech. My fiancé is an RCR in Petawawa. We are getting married this December during my BMQ. I was wondering what are the odds of us living together? Hence he is trying to remuster at the moment as a supply tech. (So we are both purple trades) Except knowing my trade is a bit more ''original'' let's say than a supply tech (Probably easier to get posted anywhere as a Supply than a Met Tech)

So knowing we are married, but in different trades does it bring the odds up?

Thank you a lot!

Yes, sometimes it does depend on the trades.  With Met Tech and Infantry, I would suspect some difficulties as you both only have so many postings where you can be together.  Supply Tech may be better.  The military does its best* to keep couples together, however, be prepared for the possibility of being posted apart.

*If you believe this, I have a bridge I can sell you.  ;)

Miss.Meteo said:
I am joining as a Met Tech. My fiancé is an RCR in Petawawa.

I tell every one i know in your situation to pick trades very carefully. If you fiance stays RCR, your odds of being posted together for any lenght of time are not that great.

On the plus side, I wouldn't think that too many met types fight over the few available Pet postings with much vigour.

Thanks a lot guys. Some RCR guys told me there was Met Techs in Pet. When I am done my course in Winterpeg is it possible for me to ask to get posted in Pet? I suppose if they can't do it they will try their best to get me posted near (Trenton, North Bay...) I understand thought that it might be hard for them to keep us together. I mean as long as I am not in Comox! (Well..not right now)

Back