• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

BOTP leadership test

T

Tigger

I didn't really worry about this thing, 'till I heard from 2 independent sources that there are people who don't pass it. One guy was taking the exam 5 (!) times!  And still didn't pass :threat:
What is so extraordinary about this component and what are the important points to follow/watch out?  :eek:

I dont know anything about it.  At what stage is it taken?

Leadership is tested practically (i.e. out in the field - Farnham).  You are given a task and have to complete it in a set time (e.g. set up a landing zone for a helicopter).  They don't really care as much about how well the task turns out, but rather that you follow the process that they have taught you.  You will have that process drilled into your head over and over again (it still haunts me nightly), and will have an opportunity to practice before you're tested.  If you fail, retests are allowed.

In my experience, the best way to ensure your whole platoon passes is to help each other out.  You'll get in crap if you blatantly try to help someone else out (i.e. shouting "Hey OCdt Bloggins, you forgot to give us a Warning Order!), but it doesn't hurt to wink/whisper/nudge/etc when appropriate to make sure that you and your buddies get through it.

Just remember; stop & think about what you've been taught, take your time (but not too much time), breathe, keep your head up (litterally), and you'll be fine.

Hope that helps. :salute:

I am assuming that the person failed the field tasking 5 times not the weapons handling.  

I will disagree with Garbageman on that fact does have to turn out well.  I don't believe that it has to be completed to pass BUT you must show that you knew what was asked and what your mission was and most importantly that you led the task to its completion.  The process (or format) has to be followed but they are looking at your leadership as well.  

Some components to consider: leadership ability, ability to work under pressure (time constraints), ability to work with others (can you lead and folow), oral and written expression (your written orders and delivery of the orders) and care and attention to detail (safety, external considersations).

The format is straight forward and can be filled out easily but to control your syndicate (approx 8 pers) is critical.   Depending on when you do your task, you must keep them motivated (esp. when sleep deprived and the last day of tasks), make sure they're comfortable (before your task starts and you're doing your estimate, get some food into them and get them in the shade or out of the wind) and during your task, don't be scared to be the hardass (if your sentry pers are standing together BS'ing, get them focused on their job).  

Good advice that I was given early on in BOTP is to deliver your orders so that somebody in the next site (ie. instructor   ;)) knows that you're the one in charge.   If your voice is soft and wavering, its not effective.   If your assertive and have the attention of your syndicate or section, then they are listening and taking in what you are saying.

My 2 cents before tax.   Hope it helps.

Thanks guys for an info!

Raptor, it is taken <obviously> at the end of BOTP.  :-\
:salute:

Back