• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Breaking a Lease for Posting/Departure for BMQ Etcetera

Worse case you could al always look for a subletter/or someone to take to over the lease. You may loose some $$$, but it's something else to find.

As Scott said, being honest is the best approach.

Just make sure that the stuff you read on the internet actually applied to you. The rules vary province to province.

If he has just applied, from what I have read here, he will be pretty safe until Dec....it seems to take forever for them to process files.... :2c:

Someone correct me if I am out to lunch.....again...

runormal said:
Worse case you could al always look for a subletter/or someone to take to over the lease.

Please ensure to read your lease before doing this though.  Many leases have it written in that subletters are either (a) not allowed; or (b) subject to approval from the landlord/property manager.  And if that person damages the apartment it's still you on the hook to the landlord for the repairs.

Your best bet is to talk to your landlord and let them know that you're applying to join the CAF.  There are funds available to new applicants to assist in breaking a lease and this normally makes landlords ok with breaking a lease early as it gives them rent money while they're trying to get a new tenant.

Foxwishful said:
I am currently going to rent a place out until December 2017, I'm in the middle of my application process waiting for my Interview and Medical date. Now during these months of my lease I have the opportunity to go to basic on military orders does that allow me to break a lease getting off scot-free? I'm 17 so I still have no idea about any of this. :facepalm:

I'm with GAP in that you're more than likely going to be okay in terms of the period it'll take for everything and for you to actually get on course. It's mid-may now and you're still waiting for your medical and interview. I'm a little rusty on the order of things now and there's been a few changes since I went through it all, but I don't think they've done your security clearance or TSD testing yet either? While it has happened in the past, it's not common these days--I don't think you'll get from where you are now to BMQ in 7mths. That being said, if it does occur, I know for a fact the military has covered penalties for those who had to break their lease due to heading on basic. At least they did when I was on course last...

Ah...yes, Buck_HRA mentioned it above.

Good morning everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance or tips for my current situation. I got the call on Thursday that I have been accepted to BMOQ leaving in mid February, however this leaves me with  6 months left on my lease that I won't be here for. As the training date is so close and it is a short term of lease I am having a lot of trouble finding someone to take it over for me. I've asked my recruitment center if there are any programs or any way to leave the lease through the army but they said they weren't aware of any. Has anyone every experienced this or have any ideas where to go from here?

A little additional information, I am in BC, the BC Residential Tenancy Act does not have a clause for military obligations. My lease is fixed term with 6 months remaining when I leave.

readytofly said:
I have been accepted to BMOQ leaving in mid February, however this leaves me with  6 months left on my lease that I won't be here for. As the training date is so close and it is a short term of lease I am having a lot of trouble finding someone to take it over for me. I've asked my recruitment center if there are any programs or any way to leave the lease through the army but they said they weren't aware of any. Has anyone every experienced this or have any ideas where to go from here?

For reference to the discussion,

https://army.ca/forums/threads/84135.0

mariomike said:
For reference to the discussion,

https://army.ca/forums/threads/84135.0

My issue is that in BC you can't break a fixed term lease without paying out the remaining rent.

"A fixed-term tenancy agreement cannot be ended early except in three circumstances:  both parties agree in writing; there are special circumstances such as the tenant is fleeing family violence or the tenant has been assessed as requiring long-term care or has been accepted into a long-term care facility; or as ordered by an arbitrator"

From a CAF Recruiter,

Buck_HRA said:
Your best bet is to talk to your landlord and let them know that you're applying to join the CAF.  There are funds available to new applicants to assist in breaking a lease and this normally makes landlords ok with breaking a lease early as it gives them rent money while they're trying to get a new tenant.

readytofly said:
My issue is that in BC you can't break a fixed term lease without paying out the remaining rent.

"A fixed-term tenancy agreement cannot be ended early except in three circumstances:  both parties agree in writing; there are special circumstances such as the tenant is fleeing family violence or the tenant has been assessed as requiring long-term care or has been accepted into a long-term care facility; or as ordered by an arbitrator"

A mutual agreement to end tenancy aka a form 8 may help you, by chance have you talked to your landlord yet? They may be ok with you ending it early considering you are joining the forces.

Any rate go here to get the form 8
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/housing-tenancy/residential-tenancies/ending-a-tenancy

Abdullah

readytofly said:
Good morning everyone,

I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidance or tips for my current situation. I got the call on Thursday that I have been accepted to BMOQ leaving in mid February, however this leaves me with  6 months left on my lease that I won't be here for. As the training date is so close and it is a short term of lease I am having a lot of trouble finding someone to take it over for me. I've asked my recruitment center if there are any programs or any way to leave the lease through the army but they said they weren't aware of any. Has anyone every experienced this or have any ideas where to go from here?

A little additional information, I am in BC, the BC Residential Tenancy Act does not have a clause for military obligations. My lease is fixed term with 6 months remaining when I leave.

https://army.ca/forums/threads/84135/post-1411961.html#msg1411961

Read this post, and the 2 after (2nd one from Pusser and the one from Buck_HRA)...

Link to the CBI Pusser had included in his post:  208.955 – Reimbursement for Rent or Lease Liability

Good day everyone, I just got my posting message from Quebec to Montreal for august 1st. I renewed my lease in march as I was not sure at that moment if I would get my posting. My question is: How much will BGRS pay for breaking a lease? Is there a maximum amount? Because here in Quebec you must pay until the end of your lease if you don't find someone else to rent it.

Thank you!!

mpfil said:
Good day everyone, I just got my posting message from Quebec to Montreal for august 1st. I renewed my lease in march as I was not sure at that moment if I would get my posting. My question is: How much will BGRS pay for breaking a lease? Is there a maximum amount? Because here in Quebec you must pay until the end of your lease if you don't find someone else to rent it.

Thank you!!
You might as well start getting familiar with this now:  Integrated Relocation Program

7.03 Rent or lease liability
Core benefit

When CF members incur rent or lease liability in order to dispose of rented accommodation, they are entitled to reimbursement for an amount up to the maximum amount the landlord may charge under the applicable Tenants Act.

Rent/lease charges for a rental property are calculated from the load or clean day (whichever is later) for the remaining period of paid vacancy.

Back