• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bringing 'Em Back or Not? (I.D.'ed Cdn ISIS fighters, families, kids?)

Brihard said:
Nope. Again, we need do nothing whatsoever to help him get here, but if he manages to show up at a port of entry, he’s allowed in, full stop. The right of a citizen to enter, remain in or leave Canada is written right into the charter and there’s no way around that at all.

Ah, right. Thank you.  We did stop some Canadian citizens from leaving Canada to join ISIS though didn't we? Guessing that's some kind of clause for citizens having a right to leave the country or something?

In any case this guy seems like a POS and hopefully he remains right where he is. His parents are either super stupid or closet ISIS supporters. i suspect the latter. As EOO sagely points out the blatant attempts to humanize and victimize Jihadi Jack with child pictures is quite obvious. 

Jarnhamar said:
Ah, right. Thank you.  We did stop some Canadian citizens from leaving Canada to join ISIS though didn't we? Guessing that's some kind of clause for citizens having a right to leave the country or something?

In any case this guy seems like a POS and hopefully he remains right where he is. His parents are either super stupid or closet ISIS supporters. i suspect the latter. As EOO sagely points out the blatant attempts to humanize and victimize Jihadi Jack with child pictures is quite obvious.

Passport revocation. Nothing stops them getting on a boat or going for a swim, but it makes it damned hard to leave the country when you can’y Enter the US or board an international flight.

Let me throw in a few comments while stating that I'm far from an expert on this topic.

The problem with this guy, as far as I can glean from the news and the web, is that he was never in Canada. He was born in the UK to a Canadian father and Brit mother and lived all of his life in the UK until he left Oxford to wander around Syria.

His passport has nothing to do with being a Canadian citizen (while I do not know for sure, I suspect he doesn't even have a Canadian one). His status is based on being the first generation descendant of a Canadian citizen.

Much, if not all, of the legislation under the Combating Terrorism Act (which has been incorporated in Part II.1 of the Criminal Code) creates offences relating to "everyone who leaves or attempts to leave Canada for the purpose of . . . etc etc" That wouldn't apply in these circumstances.

There are terrorist offences over which Canada claims extra-territorial jurisdiction but they require actual proof that the listed offence was committed. My guess is that because of the circumstances that such clear evidence of him having committed an offence over which Canada can claim such jurisdiction will be hard to come by and that if we do help him out to come here he will escape any consequences.

Considering the stance that the Liberals have taken with respect to reversing prior legislation facilitating stripping citizenship from persons with dual citizenship in certain circumstances they are now between a rock and a hard place.

Personally I believe they deserve to be there. The problem is that there is probably a vocal constituency of the Liberals who feel that bringing this ******* to Canada is the right thing to do. Hopefully they'll be in a decreasing minority.

:cheers:

Agreed. Extremely well put, and I agree fully. I unfortunately find myself sometimes at odds with my own beliefs and desires on this subject, versus my respect for the rule of law and my absolute belief that it must be diligently upheld.

There is a spirit as well as the letter of the law....

If we can't openly say "no" then simply remain silent and ignore his pleas.

According to Murray Brewster's twitter, Canadian Diplomats are attempting to contact our the UK's misguided yute.

Well thats just it, they are "holding" him, so hold a "trial" and do the right thing...

https://www.thelocal.se/20180209/kurds-demand-sweden-take-back-its-is-fighters

“The second thing is that if they have committed crimes where they are, they should be put in front of a court there, where there is a possibility of investigating them.”

He denied that Sweden was trying to duck the foreign fighters issue.

“What I want is for people who have committed crimes to face justice in some way or another,” he said.

“It’s important that we can send the signal that if you go to another country to join a terrorist sect and carry out terrible violent acts, that you risk punishment.”

He warned that Sweden had yet to criminalise involvement in a terrorist organisation, making it hard to punish Isis fighters solely for their allegiance to the group.

“Those people have carried out a long list of crimes there, like murder, kidnapping, rape, arson. It’s always more effective to investigate that sort of thing right where it happened.”

tomahawk6 said:
Captured foreign fighters face the death penalty.

Here they get 10.5 mil and a free ipad.

tomahawk6 said:
Captured foreign fighters face the death penalty.
In Sweden? I hope  the IKEA folding kitchen guillotine does more than slice carrots!

whiskey601 said:
In Sweden? I hope  the IKEA folding kitchen guillotine does more than slice carrots!

Have you read about what's going on in Sweden?

Authorities in Sweden are prosecuting a 70-year-old woman for a hate crime.

Her alleged crime? She wrote on Facebook that she saw migrants defecating in the streets and setting fire to cars.

Canadian member of Islamic State caught, but it’s unclear what charges he might face

*fixed link
https://globalnews.ca/news/4526514/canadian-isis-caught-in-turkey/

Jarnhamar said:
Canadian member of Islamic State caught, but it’s unclear what charges he might face

https://www.msn.com/en-ca/news/canada/exclusive-canadian-member-of-islamic-state-caught-but-it’s-unclear-what-charges-he-might-face/ar-BBO6WO6

Based on our past performances, a formal apology and a $10.5 million award would be not too far out of line.

Back