• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bringing Military ID while travelling out of country on leave

dh101

Inactive
Reaction score
I'm going on leave shortly, out of country. I'm considering whether or not to bother bringing my military ID with me.

I'm considering leaving it at home so I don't have to worry about it getting stolen or someone from identifying me as military.
But, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any regulations saying I have to bring it. Also, if something happens where I need to identify myself as military (in an emergency situation).

I already notified the intelligence unit about my travel and just had to read a briefing about out of country travel, but there was nothing mentioning bringing military ID. I figure it could be a security risk.

Thanks

I am fairly certain you need to keep your military ID on your person at all time although I can't find a reference now.

If you look on your leave pass, you'll see you may need your ID to get dental/medical care abroad should you need it. 

I literally travelled all over the world and always had my ID with me and never got an issue although I never volunteer what I do.

dh101 said:
. . . But, I'm wondering if anyone is aware of any regulations saying I have to bring it.  . . .

CFAO 26-3

26.    I Cards are public property and are not transferable. An I Card shall
be carried by a member of the CF at all times except when the member is:

a.  in military or civil custody and it is lawfully taken by military
          or civilian police or other competent authority;

b.  admitted to hospital and a medical officer considers personal
          papers should not be retained in the hospital ward; or

c.  required to surrender it in exchange for a special pass
          permitting entry to those maximum security units that are
          designated by the CDS.

I would be more worried about the security of your passport.  If you can keep that safe, why can't you secure your I Card?

Besides, when travelling in Canada, your military ID gets you into the NEXUS line in many airports - making it very worthwhile to keep it with you.

http://www.catsa.gc.ca/node/11

it may also entitle you to discounts on a ton of goods and services when travelling in the US.

TWA 847 hijacking, military members on the flight were identified by the hijackers and beaten. Robert Stethem, a US Navy Diver, was murdered.

Just my thought, but if you're traveling, on your own, to a country that requires a security briefing prior to travel, leave your military ID, dog tags, and small pack at home.

Best case, most places, it's not beneficial, worst case, it's going to cause you a world of trouble.

You will not need to identify yourself as military in any emergency situations, you may need to identify yourself as Canadian, your passport will suffice for that.

Really, the only place it's going to be overly beneficial is the United States.

Then, there is this part...my haircut and stuff will likely give me away as 'military', not my ID card that you can't see in my wallet.

The biggest benefit I've had with my ID card is actually getting back into Canada at a border crossing.  I've found the CBSA types less likely to give me a hard time when I put it on top of the passports and receipts...true story.

Blackadder1916 said:
CFAO 26-3

26.    I Cards are public property and are not transferable. An I Card shall
be carried by a member of the CF at all times except when the member is
:

a.  in military or civil custody and it is lawfully taken by military
          or civilian police or other competent authority;

b.  admitted to hospital and a medical officer considers personal
          papers should not be retained in the hospital ward; or

c.  required to surrender it in exchange for a special pass
          permitting entry to those maximum security units that are
          designated by the CDS.

I would be more worried about the security of your passport.  If you can keep that safe, why can't you secure your I Card?

Eye In The Sky said:
The biggest benefit I've had with my ID card is actually getting back into Canada at a border crossing.  I've found the CBSA types less likely to give me a hard time when I put it on top of the passports and receipts...true story.

Does it "accidentally" fall out of your wallet during traffic stops as well?

Eye In The Sky said:
Then, there is this part...my haircut and stuff will likely give me away as 'military', not my ID card that you can't see in my wallet.

I have had greater scrutiny from CBSA because I'm military too.  I've found it to be a bit of a crap shoot with them.

Not a Sig Op said:
Does it "accidentally" fall out of your wallet during traffic stops as well?

No, I usually just undo a few buttons on my shirt and bat my eyelashes a few times... ;)

I was talking to someone a few years back about how much of a PITA the crossing at Holton was last time I was thru; they said "next time, put your ID on the top of the passports when you hand them over".  Voila, next time they were much nicer to deal with.

FWIW - the last time I was away on 'personal time' was to Cuba and I didn't take my ID, dog tags or wear my QL3 course t-shirt.  ;D    I was Citizen EITS from Canada.

Eye In The Sky said:
FWIW - the last time I was away on 'personal time' was to Cuba and I didn't take my ID, dog tags or wear my QL3 course t-shirt.  ;D    I was Citizen EITS from Canada.

And the short hair and "Yes, sir.  No sir" didn't give anything away...  ;)

Not a Sig Op said:
TWA 847 hijacking, military members on the flight were identified by the hijackers and beaten. Robert Stethem, a US Navy Diver, was murdered.

However the circumstances of that incident were that those US sailors (like a lot of American military at the time) were travelling without passports, instead were using only their I Cards and travel orders as permitted by NATO SOFA (we could do the same but most CF overseas had personal passports - unlike the Americans, who were not required/issued/reimbursed).  When the hijackers collected the passports of all the passengers, all they could do was show their ID.

A few years after that incident, I was on a US Army course.  One of the classes was about personal security while travelling or working outside the US.  TWA 847 was mentioned as an example and it was suggested that regardless of the duty status when travelling on commercial air that individuals have a personal passport without the picture being in uniform, do not have their ID cards prominent in their wallets but available to be discarded/hidden and the standard suggestions about dressing/looking/acting like military.  Oh, and a suggestion from a LCol who had done a few advisory tours in Central and South America that one shouldn't walk around with your shirt untucked; an untucked shirt can be taken as a hint that you are concealing a handgun and the locals may decide to kill you first instead of kidnapping.

Eye In The Sky said:
No, I usually just undo a few buttons on my shirt and bat my eyelashes a few times... ;)

I was going to ask if they remembered to say "thank you for your service" but I guess they're saying thank you for your sexiness.

They have a smile on their face but their eyes usually say "what has been seen...cannot be unseen..."...

Thanks for all the replies. I will probably end up brining it since its policy to have it at all times and I wont meet any of the exceptions (dont plan to anyway). I will just be more discrete with ut.

I will have to see whether it gets me and my family through the trusted traveller/nexus line on my flight out. My wife isnt a Canadian citizen so we'll see how that goes.

Im tempted on my way back to give my mil id ontop my passport to customs/immigration as mentioned but im not too sure how that would go.

dh101 said:
Im tempted on my way back to give my mil id ontop my passport to customs/immigration as mentioned but im not too sure how that would go.

When you get to customs, you will be asked to show your passport (land border) or passport and declaration card (airport/seaport).  Putting your military ID on top is not what was asked for and may make you look like you expect preferential treatment.  The treatment you get may not be what you expect - or want.

Haggis said:
When you get to customs, you will be asked to show your passport (land border) or passport and declaration card (airport/seaport).  Putting your military ID on top is not what was asked for and may make you look like you expect preferential treatment.  The treatment you get may not be what you expect - or want.

Amen to that. Plus, you will probably be asked what you do/intend to do in Canada. If you have desperate need to inform the customs officer you work in the military, that would be your opportune time.

In my experience with CBSA if you show any form of credential identifying you as law enforcement or military they will use it as an opportunity to show you how big their dick is and give you the full deluxe finger in the bum search to let you know they are in charge. Individual experiences may vary. ;D

Inspir said:
In my experience with CBSA if you show any form of credential identifying you as law enforcement or military they will use it as an opportunity to show you how big their dick is and give you the full deluxe finger in the bum search to let you know they are in charge. Individual experiences may vary. ;D
Not that I was self identifying so to speak, but was evident who and what I was, that was my general experience with clearing customs.  Mind you, the one's at Halifax are usually not friendly at the best of times anyhow. 

The one's in Quebec... not sure if it was because I was one of the Anglo's in Roto 7 or not but I was accorded extra attention and was the last through the arrivals door.

I pretty well assume I'll be seeing secondary no matter where I come into contact with these guys/gals.

dapaterson said:
And the short hair and "Yes, sir.  No sir" didn't give anything away...  ;)

To be honest...my wife gets mad when I call her sir.  ;D

My experiences to date with CBSA hasn't involved my bum, either when I did, or did not, put my mil ID on my passports.  I am thinking the poster who had the deluxe search and/or experience someone demonstrating how well endowed they were was not related to showing a CAF ID.  :D    ;)

Back