• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bringing Military ID while travelling out of country on leave

Jarnhamar said:
Are cavity searches actually a thing at the Canada/US border?

Actually, they can be - NOT that I've ever had that experience.  However, I have known a few CBSA officers.  They have special toilets as well.

One important point: your military ID card will NOT let you in the NEXUS line.  I have confirmed this with both US and Canadian border officers on a number of occasions (i.e. kept asking until I was convinced of the policy).  You have to pay for that privilege.  Your ID card WILL get you in the Trusted Traveller line in Canada (but not in the US).

Pusser said:
...One important point: your military ID card will NOT let you in the NEXUS line.  I have confirmed this with both US and Canadian border officers on a number of occasions (i.e. kept asking until I was convinced of the policy).  You have to pay for that privilege.  Your ID card WILL get you in the Trusted Traveller line in Canada (but not in the US).

Are you able to add any more info? I’m curious & slightly confused, as I usually end up flying somewhere a couple of times a year, most recently was this past summer and I used my ID for the Nexus line, as well as signage indicating what requirements allowed people to use the line. (Military was one) Edmonton and Hamilton are the two most recent airports where I noted it...

BeyondTheNow said:
Are you able to add any more info? I’m curious & slightly confused, as I usually end up flying somewhere a couple of times a year, most recently was this past summer and I used my ID for the Nexus line, as well as signage indicating what requirements allowed people to use the line. (Military was one) Edmonton and Hamilton are the two most recent airports where I noted it...

Canada
Trusted Travellers
http://www.catsa.gc.ca/node/11
Trusted Travellers include:
•currently serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces and U.S. military, including reservists, all with valid ID (no uniform required);

USA
Trusted Traveler Programs
https://www.cbp.gov/travel/trusted-traveler-programs

mariomike said:
Trusted Travellers
Trusted Travellers include:
•currently serving members of the Canadian Armed Forces and U.S. military, including reservists, all with valid ID (no uniform required);

I was looking at this link, and yes, there’s a fee as well as answers to many other questions. I guess perhaps some airports just combine the Nexus line with other exceptions who get to bypass...

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/faq-eng.html

BeyondTheNow said:
I guess perhaps some airports just combine the Nexus line with other exceptions who get to bypass...

This may help...

Contact the CBSA
 Telephone our Border Information Service. Toll-free 1-800-461-9999

BeyondTheNow said:

There is the "Trsuted Traveller" line in security, and the "Nexus" line in Customs.

Your military ID will get you (and those you are travelling with) through the Trusted Traveller line, but will not enable you to use the Nexus section of the customs area when arriving to Canada from abroad.

Unless, of course, the nexus area of customs is empty, you play dumb, play the military card and ask the CBSA guy sitting bored at the desk if you're allowed to use that area like the "trusted traveller" section.

"Well, you're not supposed to...but...<stamp> <stamp>. Welcome back to Canada."

I may have once walked into the empty diplomats and aircrew line to catch a short connection.

You're not supposed to be here.

But nobody's here.

You're not supposed to be here.

I'll never do it again.

OK, then...

Lumber said:
...but will not enable you to use the Nexus section of the customs area when arriving to Canada from abroad.

Unless, of course, the nexus area of customs is empty, you play dumb, play the military card and ask the CBSA guy sitting bored at the desk if you're allowed to use that area like the "trusted traveller" section...

Ah ok, thanks. I flew domestically.

Lumber said:
There is the "Trsuted Traveller" line in security, and the "Nexus" line in Customs.

Your military ID will get you (and those you are travelling with) through the Trusted Traveller line, but will not enable you to use the Nexus section of the customs area when arriving to Canada from abroad.

Unless, of course, the nexus area of customs is empty, you play dumb, play the military card and ask the CBSA guy sitting bored at the desk if you're allowed to use that area like the "trusted traveller" section.

"Well, you're not supposed to...but...<stamp> <stamp>. Welcome back to Canada."

Flew into Toronto a few weeks ago and was cleared through the customs nexus line no problem with my military ID.

Chief Stoker said:
Flew into Toronto a few weeks ago and was cleared through the customs nexus line no problem with my military ID.

Chief, were you travelling on military business or personal business/pleasure?

Lumber said:
Chief, were you travelling on military business or personal business/pleasure?

It's not supposed to matter - if you're a CAF member travelling, the Trusted Traveller policy applies whether on or off duty, and also applies to some individuals travelling with you - no "Sorry, honey, I'm going through the trusted traveller line.  Enjoy your full body cavity search!"

dapaterson said:
It's not supposed to matter - if you're a CAF member travelling, the Trusted Traveller policy applies whether on or off duty, and also applies to some individuals travelling with you - no "Sorry, honey, I'm going through the trusted traveller line.  Enjoy your full body cavity search!"

Errr, not really where I was going with that. The Trusted Traveller line can always be used by people with military IDs, we were discussing the "Nexus" section of "Customs" when you arrive on an international flight.

They have Kiosks in that area which require you to insert a NEXUS card to work. Otherwise, you have to go to the counter at the end and speak with the CBSA agent.

My agent let me through because there was literally no one else there, but he told me I'm only supposed to do so when on military business (I was returning from my honeymoon).

So I was going to ask the Chief if he was on military or personal business.

Lumber said:
Errr, not really where I was going with that. The Trusted Traveller line can always be used by people with military IDs, we were discussing the "Nexus" section of "Customs" when you arrive on an international flight.

They have Kiosks in that area which require you to insert a NEXUS card to work. Otherwise, you have to go to the counter at the end and speak with the CBSA agent.

My agent let me through because there was literally no one else there, but he told me I'm only supposed to do so when on military business (I was returning from my honeymoon).

So I was going to ask the Chief if he was on military or personal business.

Military business flying back from a program, there are regular machines next to the Nexus ones. All it really does is save you from the rather large line. I would also do it while on personal business as well.

Chief Stoker said:
Military business flying back from a program, there are regular machines next to the Nexus ones. All it really does is save you from the rather large line.

Well, crap in a basket, I didn't even see those.

Lumber said:
Well, crap in a basket, I didn't even see those.

It was interesting to note many of the machines didn't work.

I was thinking of getting Nexus but wondering if it's worth the trouble given the 'Trusted Traveller' line... for currently serving military, is there any advantage to having Nexus?

Mike5 said:
I was thinking of getting Nexus but wondering if it's worth the trouble given the 'Trusted Traveller' line... for currently serving military, is there any advantage to having Nexus?

This may help you decide which is best for you,

Trusted Travellers

NEXUS
https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/prog/nexus/menu-eng.html

Travelling with military ID is also discussed here,

Travelling as a reservist?
https://army.ca/forums/threads/103461.0

Showing my ID or saying to a US Border Agent generally stops all questioning and gives me instant entry into the US is the most I get out of my ID card while traveling.

Not so much when returning to Canada sadly.

Mike5 said:

Military ID gets you through Trusted Traveller lane in Airports only.

At land crossings you MUST possess a Nexus card, regardless of your military status, to access the Nexus lanes.

Nexus is expensive so it all depends on how much travel you're doing. Also, everyone in your vehicle must possess a NEXUS card in order to access Nexus lanes.

Using your NDI at a land crossing Nexu lane will not go over very well for you.

The Nexus line at Airports only works for US destinations and gets your express clearance through Customs, but the Security screening is no faster than Trusted Traveller usually (they're the same line most of the time).

I used my NDI going through Amsterdam-Schiphol, Cologne, London-Heathrow and I got to skip all the lines at Passport Control/customs. Even got to sit in the British Airways Lounge, it was nice.

Back