• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

British Soldiers Banned in Medicine Hat

The bar owners in Medicine Hat have company from their Greek colleagues:

Some Britons Too Unruly for Resorts in Europe "They come, they drink, they wreak havoc."
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/world/europe/24crete.html?em

greentoblue said:
The bar owners in Medicine Hat have company from their Greek colleagues:

Some Britons Too Unruly for Resorts in Europe "They come, they drink, they wreak havoc."
http://www.nytimes.com/2008/08/24/world/europe/24crete.html?em

“They scream, they sing, they fall down, they take their clothes off, they cross-dress, they vomit,”

Crikey, at first I thought they were describing a scene from a PARA regt mess dinner or two I was at in the 80s. Glad we didn't have digitial technology then. Oh well, one of the side effects of being an essentially martial race, I suppose.

I was in Bremen a while back sitting in the nice town center sipping a Becks,taking in the "scenery".Everyone there started looking to their left when here comes  the Brit's (I'm assuming from Bergen) all with big oversized white glasses on.You could hear them before you could see em.

Clash of cultures from the somewhat quiet Civilians of Bremen and the Brit soldiers,I can see how it would cause a conflict.

Made me look at myself a little as well,hoping I wasnt sticking out quite that bad. ;)

big oversized white glasses ???

Yiou talking about the 1L beer steins ;)

I wish..Naah they looked like Moby or some techno music star with large white rimmed glasses on.

I had the 1L. ;D

X-mo-1979 said:
IIRC we were not welcome in Dolans in Freddytown at one point as well.

I have some vague recollection of the Hilltop not wanting to serve CF members at one point, ages ago.

Dolan's has been quite welcoming of us for the last few years, anyway.

Rudyard Kippling wrote a pretty good poem about this issue.

Heh... I KNEW there was a 1L stein involved in this story - somehow.... quite possibly several

But yeah, white UGHlee glasses - make spectacles of themselves ;)

The problem is when you let a bunch of the boys out on the town together.... they're pretty good in ones and twos

N. McKay said:
I have some vague recollection of the Hilltop not wanting to serve CF members at one point, ages ago.

It was '95 or so IIRC and it wasn't "not wanting" it was we were not allowed in, period.  I remember that coming in an O Gp as well.  IT was well received by the troops, of course.

Eye In The Sky said:
It was '95 or so IIRC and it wasn't "not wanting" it was we were not allowed in, period.  I remember that coming in an O Gp as well.  IT was well received by the troops, of course.

How long did that Ban last?

Ex-Dragoon said:
How long did that Ban last?

I am not sure.  I think it started in July and ended in Sept when the uni's went back to full swing.  I can't recall exactly but...it wasn't without reason, either.

I wonder who would have had egg on their face if they'd refused the Prince entry to the pub:

http://www.ctv.ca/servlet/ArticleNews/story/CTVNews/20080911/prince_harry_080911/20080911?hub=Canada

Prince Harry back in Alberta, locals report
Updated Thu. Sep. 11 2008 5:01 PM ET

CTV.ca News Staff

Prince Harry is back in southern Alberta, local sources said Thursday, six months after he was pulled out of Afghanistan following a leaked media report.

The 23-year-old prince, who is a second lieutenant in the Blues and Royals regiment, hung out at a Medicine Hat, Alta., pub earlier this week with a few dozen army pals.

Back