• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Brits to be issued HK Auto Lightweight Grenade Launcher

Kirkhill

Puggled and Wabbit Scot.
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
How is the CASW project coming along?  Is there as much need for it in the CF TOET with the LAVlll's 25mm available?  What about the LIB's needs? Or are the LIB's yet cast in stone?

How about MND's publicized concerns about UXO?  Is that risk any greater with an AGL than with the Bushmaster? 

Troops Get Firepower Boost with New 'Grenade Machine-Gun' 

(Source: UK Ministry of Defence; issued Oct. 19, 2006)

British troops in Afghanistan are to get a potent new battlefield weapon, Lord Drayson, Minister for Defence Procurement, announced today. 

The powerful new Automatic Lightweight Grenade Launcher will be mounted on specially adapted Land Rovers and used by troops to complement the vehicle-mounted .50 inch Heavy Machine Gun - greatly increasing their firepower on the battlefield. 

Lord Drayson said: 

"This new system will significantly enhance the firepower available to units on operational duty in Afghanistan. The arrival of the system helps to illustrate the MoD's commitment to ensuring our forces have the right equipment to do their job." 

The £4.3 million programme will give battlefield commanders in Afghanistan over 40 of the new weapon systems, which will provide increased mobile firepower at longer range. It will support a variety of missions, from airfield security to forward operating base protection and vehicle patrols. 

With a rate of fire of up to 340 rounds per minute the weapon fires 40mm high explosive grenades out to ranges of 2000m in either single shot or automatic modes. The ammunition is dual purpose and can be used against light armour and enemy troops. The grenade launcher can be fitted to the Land-Rover WMIK (Weapons Mount Installation Kit) or fired from a tripod on the ground. 

BACKGROUND NOTE: 

Due into service next month this is the latest in a series of firepower boosts for the infantry - including the purchase of the belt-fed Minimi light machine gun, the Javelin anti-tank missile, the underslung grenade launcher for the SA80 rifle and the head-mounted night vision system with 'red dot' laser aimer. 

http://www.defense-aerospace.com/cgi-bin/client/modele.pl?session=dae.16851726.1133540294.Q5BzxsOa9dUAAHeSPdQ&modele=jdc_34

Kirkhill said:
How is the CASW project coming along?  Is there as much need for it in the CF TOET with the LAVlll's 25mm available?  What about the LIB's needs? Or are the LIB's yet cast in stone?
I have no idea the state of the CASW.  Having said that, there certainly is scope for it, even with the LAV 3 25mm.  As I understand the propaganda given by Kongsberg, a CASW will "fit" on their RWS which we find on the RG-31.

I know the NCO who did the trials --

I think they are still awaiting funding...

They are very much in need -- but so are a lot of other programs

http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2006smallarms/lambrecht.pdf

somewhat relevant...

With all of the Grenade launchers out there, is there any benifits to having the older muzzle launched types anymore? The only thing I could think the older rifle grenades have over the new ones is no limit on width of grenade.

Back