• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Bruce W. Beatty

George Wallace

Army.ca Dinosaur
Inactive
Reaction score
It is with sadness that we announce that Bruce W. Beatty (Capt ret'd) has passed away in March 2011.

Bruce W. Beatty, CM, CD, FRHSC was a Canadian Forces member who as a graphic designer is best known as being chiefly responsible for designing the emblems of the Canadian Honours System, starting with the Order of Canada in 1967.  The Prime Minister, himself, secretly requested then Sgt Beatty to design a distinctly Canadian Award.  The design he came up with is the shape of a snowflake - "Just as every snowflake is different, so is every member of the Order".  Since 1976 he has been in attendance at every Order investiture ceremony.  Mr. Beatty was made a member of the order in 1990.  In 1977 he was made a Fellow of the Royal Heraldry Society of Canada

Mr. Beatty was also responsible for creating the emblem of the Order of British Columbia during the 1980s and made alterations to the Victoria Cross for the Canadian Honour System in 1993.  He was also involved in the design of many of the Cadet movement awards.

Mr. Beatty will be sadly missed and hopefully his stories will live on.

More on Bruce Beatty and his work in this video from Army News.
And this Major came in and said, “The Prime Minister wants to see you right away.” And I said, “Yea sure, jump in the canal.” But in about twenty minutes I’m standing at rigid attention instead in front of Prime Minister Pearson. The Prime Minister said, “You’re here to design an order, “ and the only thing he stipulated was that the ribbon was to be the same colours and the same proportion as the Canadian flag, you know: a quarter red, half white, a quarter red. So I went back to the office and I didn’t know what hit me, I was just a nervous wreck.

Reproduced under the Fair Dealings provisions of the Copyright Act.

Order of Canada designer was also a recipient

Beatty more than simple graphic artist

By Dave Brown,
Ottawa Citizen
May 16, 2011

LINK

An old soldier with a unique connection to the Order of Canada and 70 years of service to his country faded away March 21, his passing unnoticed.

Bruce W. Beatty was 88.

He was the man officialdom, including a long list of governors general, turned to when it had to find its way through the mysterious maze of diplomatic and political protocol, military traditions and medals, and coats of arms.

In 1990, his name appeared on the 73-name list of recipients of the Order of Canada, which included near the top the likes of Yousuf Karsh, Conrad Black and Galen Weston. Well down the list and on the same line as Bryan Adams, singer, was "Bruce Beatty, graphic artist."

Had the job description been expanded, it could have pointed out he was the man prime minister Lester Pearson turned to in 1966, asking him to design a medal suitable for the new honours he was initiating and would call The Order of Canada. He was also the calligraphy expert who, over the years, would fill out the hundreds of scrolls accompanying such high honours.

At the investiture ceremony at Government House in 1990, when Beatty's name was called and he walked to the front resplendent in his RCAF veteran's blazer with its impressive bar of medals, governor general Ray Hnatyshyn draped the beribboned and familiar snowflake design over his shoulders.

What made the veteran airman unique was that he was the only recipient who could have touched his medal before it was formally presented, and he was in a position to fill out his own scroll.

Putting the presentations in proper order and making certain there were no embarrassing slip-ups was what he excelled at.

Born in Tisdale, Sask., Beatty joined the air force in 1941 and trained as an air observer.

He stayed in the military for 29 years and, on release, joined the Directorate of Ceremonial at National Defence Headquarters.

He carried the title "graphic artist" and would design hundreds of badges, medals, pennants, flags and coats of arms. At the same time he served as a captain of militia (30th Field Regiment) and was curator of the unit's artillery museum.

He also volunteered to work with army cadets through the 1970s, first as quartermaster, and became commander of a local unit.

In 1972, he joined the Chancellery of Canadian Orders and Decorations. His design skills created the Order of Military Merit, the Canadian Order of Merit, bravery decorations and many other medals.

He was called on for designs to mark royal visits and create heraldic shields for prominent families. He couldn't handle all the requests, and turned many away.

In 1989, he designed the first official flag of the Ottawa Police Service, and it's still in use.

When age was starting to wear him down, he stayed busy, claiming with a trademark charming grin: "A man needs a hobby to keep him out of the beer parlour."

Most of his designs, he once said, were to him "popcorn."

The ones that counted were the ones that had to be approved by The Queen. He referred to her as "the boss." His skill in the field of heraldry brought him endless calls to design company logos, most of which he turned down. He said: "Sometimes I wish people didn't know me."

Although the Order of Canada was his most famous medal, he said all medals were outranked by the Victoria Cross. He used a quote he said wasn't original, but belonged to an unknown, he said: "You have to bleed for that one."

Over the years, the walls of Beatty's office disappeared under a blanket of medals, ribbons, badges and lapel pins.

A reporter who visited his office in 1989 said there wasn't room on the walls for another medal. Many parts of his collection were from other countries, but Beatty could name every one, and give a visitor a brief history of each.

People who know about such things said Beatty had the finest collection of medals in North America.

After the war he was stationed in Metz, France, and there met and married his wife, Nellie. They moved to Ottawa in 1950, and raised three children. She said last week letters of condolence were sent by all living governors general, including Gov. Gen. David Johnston.

brady.brown@bell.net

© Copyright (c) The Ottawa Citizen

Back