• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Burgers and massages in the middle of the desert

• Thread starter Thread starter GAP
  • Start date Start date

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Burgers and massages in the middle of the desert
Improvements give soldiers comforts and a little home away from home
Last Updated: Tuesday, September 2, 2008 | 5:08 PM ET Comments1Recommend3By Derek Stoffel, CBC News
Article Link

The first thing I did upon arriving for my third CBC News assignment at Kandahar Airfield was to find out what's new. I have to admit that what I found surprised me.

Located in a brand-new, pink-sided building is the Lai Thai Spa, where sore soldiers and civilians can head when they need a massage. Prices at the massage clinic start at $27 for a basic treatment, and although the place has only been open for about 24 hours, the booking sheet is filled.

You may not think getting a rubdown may be top of mind for the thousands of soldiers and civilians based at KAF. But it is in keeping with what has to be the underlying principle of this sprawling airbase southeast of Kandahar City: Make it seem like you're back at home, not in Afghanistan.

Need more proof? Well, just walk around the 'catwalk' (why someone chose to call the boardwalk here that, I'll never understand) to the new ice cream stand right next to the always busy Tim Hortons. And although the Burger King is no longer here (the talk on base is that the flame grilling got a bit out of hand and the trailer almost burned down), McDonald's is building its newest location here on base.

Walk through the gravel to the British end of the base, and you'll find two coffee shops — decked out in modern furnishings — that feel a lot like a posh joint on London's Oxford Street.

Better tents and stronger coffee
Kandahar Airfield is a sprawling complex of temporary tents with more permanent buildings being added every day. It's estimated that as many as 15,000 people — a mix of soldiers and civilians — call KAF home when they're in Afghanistan (the vast majority of Canada's 2,500 soldiers are stationed on the base). And that number keeps growing.

When I first came in the spring of 2006, this base was still quite large, but lacked a lot of the material comforts that have been added in the last two years.
More on link

CSA you are 100% correct. The frustrating bit is when you get into KAF and are treated second class by those KAFites that never leave the damn wire...and those that have been treated that way know exactualy what I am talking about!

EDIT: For clarity

I'm not saying this applies to KAF, as I appreciate the support the troops are getting.
But, there can be a fine line between supporting the soldiers (and the civilians), and profiteering.

BulletMagnet said:
and those that have been know exactualy what I am talking about!

I'm sorry but with all due respect, although some of us have not been there (yet), we know what thats like. It was the same for UNPROFOR when we went to the CANLOGBAT camp in Split, it was the same on KFOR when we went to the NSE camp in Skopje.

Operations in Afghanistan have changed alot of things, but the "second class citizen" thing, isnt one of them.

Apologies CDN,

I didn't mean that the way it came it reads I mean those that were treated that way in KAF, I should have specified.

BulletMagnet said:
Apologies CDN,

I didn't mean that the way it came it reads I mean those that were treated that way in KAF, I should have specified.

I still don't think you understand what CDN Aviator said.  The way you were treated at KAF, is nothing new.  We have been treated like this on every deployment by people in CANLOGBATs, NSEs, etc. throughout all our Tours.  KAF is just one more.

No I got it GW, And I am talking about a specific in context to this article.

BulletMagnet said:
CSA you are 100% correct. The frustrating bit is when you get into KAF and are treated second class by those KAFites that never leave the damn wire...and those that have been treated that way know exactualy what I am talking about!

EDIT: For clarity

I'm not at all questioning that it happens- I'm just wondering, why do you think it does?

There's nothing implied in that question- I'm honestly curious what you think about it.

Complex question...

Answering it from my limited knowledge would probably offend, I'll leave to others

Before this goes more into the "Us vs Them" issue, I think it's easier to step back and look at it as a whole.

Creature comforts are nice. It is nice to be able to have Tims, etc.

But like CSA said, it's a double-edged sword. Once you start expecting those creature comforts, and are in an environment where you start taking them for granted, it then leads to complacency.

The problem, imho, is that once you start bringing all those pieces of home with you, you then have your head at home, and not on objectives.

As to the division between OTW types vs KAFites, well, I don't even want to get sucked into that kind of argument.

The more we push the personnel stationed there further into the softness and complacency that too much creature comfort encourages, the more we weaken our team by fostering the already existing "us and them/OTW vs Kafasaurus" split.

~shrugs~

I'm going to be bitching about the Hesco Hobbits and KAFasauruses regardless of how much or of how little they have. Even if KAF stripped itself down to the bare minimum it would still be cushy go. Quite frankly, when I did get into KAF, I enjoyed the Burger King and the pizza, and the hard shacks, showers, and Canada House - not to mention the Green Bean, Iced Caps, and that espresso bar in the Brit lines. I'd hate to lose all that.

I for one, was not jealous of the creature comforts offered to those who lived in KAF. I begged, borrowed, and stole what I could to make my own life more comfortable whenever I could. What makes the "outside the wire" troops angry at the KAFites is this:

1) Sunday Routine. I have less then 48 hours back inside the wire, but by the time maintenance is done and it's time for personal admin Sunday has rolled around and the clerks are taking the day off.

2) Seargents Major who don't leave KAF. "No Sir, I don't have my shave chit on me."

3) Officers who don't understand that the shortest lines for the welfare phones are when everyone else is hiding from rockets in the bunkers.

4) Not getting socks from the civvie supply people. I happen to like the black socks, thank you. And I know you've got some back there. And Yes, I need a new ranger blanket, my last one was BIPed.

I'm sure there are good reasons for all these things. But they're frustrating nonetheless. The guys and gals in KAF can have all the Timmies and Thai massages they want. As long as they support us when we need it, and leave us alone when we don't.

Wonderbread said:
2) Seargents Major who don't leave KAF. "No Sir, I don't have my shave chit on me."

Some things will never, ever change. 

From past experiences, some of the things have been:  

"We want to send our people on Lve/HLTA and we need you guys in the FOBs/CANBATs/etc. to send us some drivers or we won't have any Truckers to bring you supplies."

"OH!  Seeing as you experience Cbt Arms types are here in Camp, you can do the Camp Security and Gate Guards for us."

Two sets of rules:  One for Camp personnel and One for "Visitors" from the FOBs/CANBATs/etc.

Supplies clearly marked for CANBATS in NSE Canteens (TVs, VCRs, DVD Players, Patio furniture, etc.) <---- A Split story.

Stacks of broken electronics in NSE from the FOBs/CANBATs/etc. awaiting parts while there are working electronics in NSE Canteens/Rest Areas, but none are being sent out to the Troops, because they would only be "broken".

Civilians working as if they are keeping 8 to 4 hours, in small town Canada, and ready to go outside the Gate for beers at quiting time.

Horror stories like those are what really pisses the boys and girls off who are out on the Line, and there are hundreds more.  Two different mentalities.

(recceguy:  Notice I never mentioned the condition of SEACANs arriving at our end.   ;D )

Wonderbread said:
1) Sunday Routine. I have less then 48 hours back inside the wire, but by the time maintenance is done and it's time for personal admin Sunday has rolled around and the clerks are taking the day off.

Crap....forgot about that one. Thanks for reminding me.    >:(

I guess D+1 will be postponed for them to have the day off.    ::)

Regards

Greetings to all,

During my time on my tour at the LSA out of Ali Al Salem in Kuwait, there was creature comforts abound.

It was all on a gravel base, and had a main street like Dodge City of Gunsmoke.

Sure, there was the PX, Green Beans Coffee, KFC, Pizza Hut and McDonalds, plus a jewellery maker and other shops, but there was also a Philippino massage place too, which for $40US one could have an hour's massage. A honest place, and a much needed massage. I went once on my way home.

I don't have issues with a location whicvh offers some comforts of home, after all it was an LSA (Life Support Area)  for Coaltion Forces heading north into the Badlands. Troops from all over heading to both AFG and Iraq were presesnt transiting through. I ran into Polish, UK, US, Australian and others from South America, South Korea, and even Japan.

LSA Kuwait was/is busy all the time. Troops incoming and outgoing.

Along with these shops, was the USO and MWR Centres, DFAC and the usual stuff. The USO Centres were the best, so relaxed one had to remove his boots to enter.

This LSA is a staging area, not too far from the Iraqi border.

In theatre in Baghdad around the airport at Victory and Liberty there are PXs, and at Victory another section of Burger King, Cinnebon, numerous shops to spend your hard earned USDs. Oh yes, adn one huge bizaar, which was keen to rip you blind, so beware.

In the IZ, there is also a PX, Burger King, Pizza Inn, Subway, and other shops which cater to Coalition Forces and Civvy contractors.

On a personal note, it was nice to have a few of these places at hand for the occasional treat etc. It was good for the morale of all, including mine.

I found it in no way distracting for our unit battle rythym. There was little or no complaciency with us, as the tempo was always hairy assed, and you never knew who/what was around the corner.

This was 2006-2007.

My 2 cents.

Happy days,

OWDU

EDITed for spelling

Wonderbread said:

Some places in the past became highly responsive to members from outside areas by establishing 'on call' policies for those who have limited time to get things done.  Unfortunately, too many overseas main base deployments treated Saturday and Sunday as "Im off duty days"... unless of course you were high enough rank to get special attention...

I'm not in the military yet (just got merit listed) so I obviously have never been on deployment, but I do have a question. Is there some sort of dissociation between people, NCMs or Officers, who work solely on base (e.g. support trades) v.s. people who work "outside the wire" (e.g. combat trades)? Like, they don't really "hang out" when the people outside the wire come back on base?

To me it sounds sort of like how the Officers and NCMs don't usually hang out together. But this is between NCMs or between Officers.

Just wondering.

I do not know if I should laugh or cry.

KAF, should be a 24/7 operation (just like the war).

But, alas, a few here can remember closing down Bihac, to get to VK... Only to discover this very double standard we see currently propagated today (I doubt theatre of operations would change things). There are those who get comfortable in their 8-4 jobs, and bring those jobs with them overseas... There are those that live in the real world.

Is there something wrong with the way we were brought up now, that we think we are entitled to our entitlements? When the boys come back through the wire for 48 hours, then if they need to draw money at 0700, so they can make their purchases at the PX before mounting up at 1000hrs on Sun, Mon whenever, then whoever decides it is not worth it to fill that need needs to re-examine this whole service and being in uniform thing. I do not care if that troop needs a Maxim magazine... Someone should be able to help him/her with the adm to make things work.

Oh, and why is it that every desk jocky in KAF regardless of rank has a pistol? (Or at least had while I was there...)

Teeps74 said:
Oh, and why is it that every desk jocky in KAF regardless of rank has a pistol? (Or at least had while I was there...)

Last time I was there pistols were being clawed back from these people and they were forced to carry C7/C8....regardless of rank.

Unless you required it, and it had to be substantiated, you didn't get one...period. If you were out the wire you automatically got one.

Regards

I'll never forget my PSO Basic course before my tour, and the briefing we got on FS Points, Hazard/Risk allowances, etc.

There was an IntOp in the room, great guy and ex-cbt arms who didn't forget his roots. The clerk giving the brief outlined the levels for Kandahar deployments, so this un-named IntOp raised his hand and asked, "So what you're saying, is that people living in KAF get the same hardship and risk bonus as those people living in FOBs or Strongpoints?"

The clerk looked at him with almost frustration and disgust and replied, "Well of course they do, is there something wrong with that?"

Various chuckles could be heard in the room, and about 6 people said "Hell yeah."

But hey, Burger King and Green Bean is definately as hard as only 2 fresh meals a day and being lockdown in quarters over certain times for fear of the daily rocket. That being said, there are a lot of the NSE types in KAF who do a great job, especially the NSE Truckers and FP guys/girls who run daily convoys through bad areas to bring out supplies. Its just that old analogy, that a few bad apples spoils it for the bunch.

Back