• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Buying a new pistol- looking for feedback

Looking for feedback on my next pistol purchase

• Seraphim Armoury Archangel 1911 chambered in .45

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Seraphim Armoury Archangel 1911 chambered in 9mm

Votes: 2 14.3%
  • Steyr L-A1 Pistol chambered in 9mm

Votes: 1 7.1%
  • Steyr M40-A1 chambered in .40 cal

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Glock 17 chambered in 9mm

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • Glock 19 chambered in 9mm

Votes: 4 28.6%
  • HK P30L chambered in 9mm

Votes: 2 14.3%

• Total voters
Jarnhamar said:
thanks for the input AbdullahD, I fired off an email to SA to ask them about their finish wearing out.

You're like a pistol packing Obi-wan, never a need to say sorry lol

Looks like I'm going to learn towards a Gen 3 or 4 Glock 17 (depending on price) and SA 1911 Archangel in 9mm. Or maybe .45, but probably 9mm.

When my wife asked whats the big deal between trying to pick between 9mm and .45 with the same gun I said getting a 1911 in 9mm sort of feels like cheating, which to me is self-explanatory.
She asked to explain so I said it's like kissing your wife after she gets her hair done and looks like a different woman.

Didn't go over all that well..

Yea.. I may have elected to explain it a different way haha

Like going hunting with another man's dogs.

Ow.  Cut off....but at least you'll have a gun to play with....

So have you bought your new glock yet? Because... buy a glock.

I've got all kinds of stuff. My go to gun is my .45 Commander that I filled with Wilson Combat parts, my other favourite is my Bersa Thunder 9 Pro. Take a look at those also. 18 (10) RDS, light, full ambidextrous controls inherently accurate and used in South America for police and army. Think I paid $500 new. It won't hurt to look 😉 http://www.bersa.com.ar/pistola-bersa-thunder-9-pro-en.html

Attachments

• Bersa Thunder 9 Pro_zpsbinkck9l.jpg
    Bersa Thunder 9 Pro_zpsbinkck9l.jpg
    3 KB · Views: 681
My "no fail" is a Glock 17. 

My IPSC pistol is a CZ-75 SP-01 Shadow.

Glocks seldom jam or fail.....reliable like a hammer. 

Have you bought your Glock yet?

Police ordance got back to me.  No glock 17s for a while and they have a glock 19 but it's an extra $50 to reclassify it plus I have to buy the barrel and ship it to them first.  Considering a 40 cal but had my heart set on the 17 if I got a glock.

That's too bad, that's how I ended up with an M&P9 ( which by the way is also a nice pistol, though I had to modify the mag release to make it more accessible, and a glock 17 is still on the "when I can afford it" shopping list)

Jarnhammer, if you're considering striker-fire in a Glock or Steyr, would you consider a Sig P320?  Or an HK VP9?  Still on my list of things to do, but having fired a number of pistols more recently, and looking beyond my dream-gun HK P30L, the 320 or VP9 might be the one?

Cheers
G2G

Jarnhamar said:
Police ordance got back to me.  No glock 17s for a while and they have a glock 19 but it's an extra $50 to reclassify it plus I have to buy the barrel and ship it to them first.  Considering a 40 cal but had my heart set on the 17 if I got a glock.

G19's are nice, I second the P320, it has a nicer trigger, but there will be little in the way of aftermarket support or accessories for awhile. You can always  buy a 2nd hand Glock and sell it later. I don't recommend a Glock in .40cal as it's hard on cases and I have seen 2 serious case failures in Glocks, both in .40cal. The G17/19/26 are rock solid though. Funny enough their 10mm and .45acp  Glocks don't have case issues like the .40 cal does. 

Good2Golf said:
Jarnhammer, if you're considering striker-fire in a Glock or Steyr, would you consider a Sig P320?  Or an HK VP9?  Still on my list of things to do, but having fired a number of pistols more recently, and looking beyond my dream-gun HK P30L, the 320 or VP9 might be the one?

Cheers
G2G

P30L is the most comfortable handgun I've ever picked up. $100 magazines are murder though!  I might take a look at the 320 or VP9, the VP9 looks pretty nice. Would like to test them out at the range.

Jarnhamar said:
P30L is the most comfortable handgun I've ever picked up. $100 magazines are murder though!  I might take a look at the 320 or VP9, the VP9 looks pretty nice. Would like to test them out at the range.

Jarn, admittedly, I have not fired the VP9, but if it is even just half as comfortable as the P30L, it would be a great gun.  I have fired the P320 and it is a very, very nice gun.

Regards
G2G

Jarn,

Before you leap, have a look at this. $569 + tax for the whole package. Case, pistol, serpa style paddle holster, mag holder and cleaning rod. Cheaper than the rest by far. Appears to be a version of the Glock.Used in around twenty countries by their military and LE. These are a Canik (Turkey) pistol from an ISO9000 company, imported by Century Arms. Watched a few review vids and everyone one was impressed with the accuracy. Hitchcock .45 does good reviews, go watch his. The second link here is Cabelas Canada and has a good description. There is also (depending on the dealer) a model TP9SF, which has no decocker.

Century Arms TP9SA

Canik TP9SA Semi-Auto Pistol

I'm a hammer guy and have never much cared for striker guns. Could never justify the price. I'm getting one of these to see what the fuss is all about.

edit: updating as I find new info.

That's a pretty great deal. Too bad I live about 100 km from the nearest place I'd be able to shoot it.  This RPAL is really going to waste in my wallet.

recceguy said:
Jarn,

Before you leap, have a look at this. $569 + tax for the whole package. Case, pistol, serpa style paddle holster, mag holder and cleaning rod. Cheaper than the rest by far. Appears to be a version of the Glock.Used in around twenty countries by their military and LE. These are a Canik (Turkey) pistol from an ISO9000 company, imported by Century Arms. Watched a few review vids and everyone one was impressed with the accuracy. Hitchcock .45 does good reviews, go watch his. The second link here is Cabelas Canada and has a good description. There is also (depending on the dealer) a model TP9SF, which has no decocker.

Century Arms TP9SA

Canik TP9SA Semi-Auto Pistol

I'm a hammer guy and have never much cared for striker guns. Could never justify the price. I'm getting one of these to see what the fuss is all about.

edit: updating as I find new info.

This is a very good deal and nice starter gun
http://www.wanstallsonline.com/firearms/hand-guns/semi-automatic/polymer-frame/smith-wesson-sd9ve-9mm.html

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/glock-g19-gen3-9mm-pistol/

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/g17-gen-3-9mm-4-6-pistol/

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/glock-17-gen-4-mos-pistol/

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/fn-herstal-fns-9-9mm-pistol/

https://www.canadaammo.com/product/detail/iwi-baby-desert-eagle-ii-9mm-pistol-steel-frame-range-kit/

http://www.wanstallsonline.com/firearms/hand-guns/semi-automatic/polymer-frame/ruger-american-pistol-9mm-luger.html

Thanks for the links all.

Seraphim Armoury didn't bother answering any emails I sent and bucked me off on FB.  A dealer said it could be 6-8 months before the pistol I want is in stock except the price will be up.

Fired off an email to Sig Sauer and they responded within minutes and were absolutely energetic offering their Individual Officer Program.  They'll give me a few hundred dollars off this plinker

IMG_20120411_211351.jpg

Seems auspicious to get a Glock gen 3 or 4 too.

Then I'll get .22LR slides for them both.

Yes, they are normally in the restricted category, unless their barrel length is less than 106mm or they are in .25 or .32 cal in which case they are prohibited. Don't ask about logic, applying logic to the Firearms Act will cause your head to explode.

Being restricted means you can only take them to gunshops, shooting ranges and they must be locked up when not in use.

This should help explain how messed up handgun laws are in Canada.  I made this up myself the other year when there was much discussion about Bill C-42 the "Common Sense" changes to the Firearms Act.

Attachments

• C96 Broomhandle.jpg
    C96 Broomhandle.jpg
    357.6 KB · Views: 419
I know this thread is pretty much dead, but I'm going to throw my  :2c: in anyway.

Colt 45ACP MK IV M1911 Government. (Series 80 with firing pin block & solid barrel bushing, and half cock shelf)  There are many variations of this pistol, but only a few are really top notch.  There are even series 80 models, that aren't "real" series 80, so you have to be really careful when buying one.  You can tell by the price difference, normally.  Unless someone's trying to bamboozle you.  I would pass on the Gold Cup models too.  If you're going to buy one of these, you need to study up first, because there are a lot of ways to get ripped off with it.

Walther PPQ M2 9mm

CZ 75 SP01 Shadow 9mm

I would stay away from the Glock 19.  The only reason the US Navy Seals changed from the Sig P226 to the Glock 19 is because it's cheaper.  They changed the qualification parameters for their handgun so that it's no longer based on accuracy and repeatability, but on cost.  That's why they went with the 19.  It's mostly plastic composites.  *My personal preference only*  I don't want to start a war about this, please.

The Sigs were in dire need of replacing because the service contract had run out... And the Sigs started dropping in QC out of the factory, they'd come off the shelf with glaring defects that had to be replaced.  It became common practice to defer receivership until the US military did their own QC, and got all the kinks worked out.  When it goes boom, the P226 is one of the finest handguns available IMO.  I have one, so I'm biased.  It is by far the most accurate handgun I've ever shot.

Back