• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

C9 ammo box problems

In my experience, the only real "use" for the soft pack is to use for walking around the camp, when you can't leave your weapon behind.

You already have your Kite sight, PAQ-4, and gucci bipod on, so to keep your zero but cut down the weight, just throw 50 rounds in the bag for going to the shower or mess etc. This is no different than the C7s and C8s who "strip down" some of their gear for administrative stuff.

I would not bring one anywhere where you might use it, they are just too unreliable.

"I would not bring one anywhere where you might use it, they are just too unreliable."
Thanks for that

I've been issued the 200rd soft pouches, used them for a few weeks, and in the end considered them a liability and switched back to the boxes. As pointed out earlier, the rounds tend to fold and get dislodged from the link inside the bag when the weapon is placed on its bipod - a problem compounded by the telescopic/folding butt of the C9A2. When the weight of the C9 is distributed between the bag and the bipod, the rounds inside just get all twisted up.

A few solutions I've seen:

A teaser belt: Something I totally disagree with. It defeats the purpose of having an LMG at the section level because a 50rd belt hanging off the weapon is probably going to run out just as the riflemen are reloading, if not sooner. IMHO this isn't really a "solution", but I've mentioned it anyways because I've seen guys get away with it.

American 200rd Boxes: This were what I used. The American boxes have metal clips on the top of them, as opposed to the crappy Canadian ones. I managed to scrounge a couple of these, switched the rounds from the cdn box to the US ones, and saved the cdn boxes so when I eventually returned the ammo the Lot Numbers were still accurate. The US boxes lasted considerably longer without falling off the weapon without sacrificing reliability. A couple slips of cardboard cut out to the shape of the inside of the box cut down on noise, and I proved that this would not cause stoppages by inserting these cardboard pieces in the ammo boxes I used on the range.

A guntaped abortion of a 200rd soft pouch: A friend of mine realized that the reason the rounds were folding in the bag was that the dimensions of it caused the weight of the weapon to sit on the rounds when stood on its bipod. He managed to use guntape to fold the softpouch in a way that would cut down on its profile and essentially make a 200rd soft pouch into a 100rd soft pouch. I'm not sure how reliable this was.

A REAL 100rd soft pouch: The Recce Pl was issued these, and they seem to me like the best solution. If you have a 100rd pouch on your weapon, and 200rd boxes in your fighting order you should be able to provide the required level of firepower without sacrificing reliability or having to deal with that stupid ass box always falling off.

GO!!!'s elastic band technique seems like a good idea too, and more practical for training in Canada then anything I've mentioned.

My big gripe with the hard box is that it makes it a PITA to fire from the shoulder. I imagine the 100 round pouch addresses this?

"My big gripe with the hard box is that it makes it a PITA to fire from the shoulder."

- Never had a problem.

;D

Tom

This thread makes me wonder why nobody has requested that a 100 round plastic box be made up?  The rigidity of the box would keep the rounds from becoming tangled and coming in at half the weight of the 200 round box, the clip mechanism would more likely be less prone to breakage/coming undone. 

Do I sense another innovation from ICE Tactical, Matt?

I'd love to come up with robust plastic 100 round box, but we're not really in the injection moulding business.  With that said, I do see some areas that the 100 round soft pack could be improved through the placement of polyethylene sheeting along the sides and bottom. 

The only soft bag I have seen of any use was the 100rd AUSCAM - the 200 seemed to awkward and prone to self release.

That said the pastic box is the best choice - unless you are in sneaky mode -- however clipping the box to the pintel on a vehicle will rapidly wear any of the clip out -- and voila you have a nice streaming belt running down the side of your vehicle  :mad:

"My big gripe with the hard box is that it makes it a PITA to fire from the shoulder."

- Never had a problem.

Grin

Tom

Why, if this is supposed to be a sideswipe about my upper body strength, I'll have you know that I feel harassed, HARASSED!  :crybaby:

Trust me, I am in no position to be slamming anyone else's upper body strength at the moment.

Rickety Tom

My big gripe with the hard box is that it makes it a PITA to fire from the shoulder.

Ive noticed that too. When holding the hand grip, your awkwardly has to bend around the box, I find. If the box wasnt in the way, my grip on the handgrip would be much better, I think. It doesnt cause too much of a problem though.

Britney Spears said:
My big gripe with the hard box is that it makes it a PITA to fire from the shoulder.

In this case, simply fire from the hip, we all know it is far more accurate, and as an added bonus, the enemy will be so taken aback by the sight of John Rambo a Canadian soldier firing from such a position, you will have enough time to walk the rounds onto him!  ;D

With the old boxes that actually used to stay on the weapons, I would sometimes hold on to the bottom of the box while firing from the shoulder (especially while firing at elevated positions). It worked quite well, actually.

I don't really find it a problem to use the handguard with a box on, but it probably depends on the length of the shooter's arms.

JBeach said:
I don't really find it a problem to use the handguard with a box on, but it probably depends on the length of the shooter's arms.

I can second that.  I'm a fairly big guy, and I find that the box rest right on my elbow when holding on to the frot hand guard.

>The belts often become twisted and stuck in the bag, dirt and snow gets in (more so than the ammo box) and the zippers often fail.

If don't fill the 200  Rd bags all the way, say 180 rds, this helps prevent bunching. Using Lypsol on the zipper helps prevent it from jamming and breaking. We've just got these and are still comparing them to the boxes though. We have found that they are easier to get in and  out of the C-9 ammo pouches on the tac vest.

Does anyone  have any solutions for carrying more C-9 ammo in the new tac vest?

CommonSenseNCO said:
Does anyone  have any solutions for carrying more C-9 ammo in the new tac vest?

Buy your own vest!

The Israeli "ISAAK" rig in the SAW configuration works well, as do a few of the purpose built support weapon rigs from Arktis, BH etc.

The only problem then is convincing your CoC to let you use it!

A more "CSM friendly" option is to take the utility pouches from your new small pack, and attach them to the three straps that run from the front panel on the back of your tac vest to the back, so that they are placed around your hips. These are big enough to fit a box of C9 +, and as an added bonus, you can put your cigarettes, chew and flask in the mag pouches on your chest! 

There is no stock number (NSN) for the 200 round soft packs yet. The US Army is getting them on the rapid fielding initiative. I am keeping my eyes peeled for an NSN, since I am the unit supply NCO. When I get one, I'll pass the knowledge on to you guys.

The 200 round soft packs areJUNK,better to go with the 100 round bags.They are much more reliable and lessen the weight on the c9...and did I mention the 200 round bags are crap??

Back