• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadet Smoking

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pte.Butt

Inactive
Reaction score
NFLD Sapper said:
Just remember that once at Stand Easy:

14. When standing easy, squad members may, with permission, move all but their feet and adjust clothing and equipment, but they shall not smoke or talk.

I always seem to get a kick out of the ''No smoking rule'' while formed up when I was in Cadets. From my understanding smoking in Cadets isn't allowed now, for many reasons (under age, being an organization for kids etc...) but they always stressed that rule. Never really made sense to me why the rule would exist  for Cadets, but in order for a rule to be made, someone had to give them a reason to make it!

I've actually seen the no smoking rule violated on occasion...I won't say where, but cigarettes, bearskins and red tunics don't mix...

Pte.Butt said:
I always seem to get a kick out of the ''No smoking rule'' while formed up when I was in Cadets. From my understanding smoking in Cadets isn't allowed now, for many reasons (under age, being an organization for kids etc...) but they always stressed that rule. Never really made sense to me why the rule would exist  for Cadets, but in order for a rule to be made, someone had to give them a reason to make it!

Smoking is still allowed at certain CSTC's (IE: Bagotville). But this is getting off topic...

yoman said:
Smoking is still allowed at certain CSTC's (IE: Bagotville). But this is getting off topic...

Remember Pte. Butt my references are from THE CANADIAN FORCES MANUAL OF DRILL AND CEREMONIAL so somewhere someone lite up a smoke for it to be in there.

Now drop and give me 25  :pushup:

yoman said:

I HIGHLY doubt that any CSTC would allow course or staff cadets smoke. The few courses I was in CFB Greenwood for I had Flt Commanders (Officers) who weren't even allowed to smoke near the complex, it is just policy. Smoking + Cadets = A No No. Now under age smoking in the military is a different ball game. It is allowed, I smoke, I am only 17 (well actually I quite trying to quite, as a new years resolution)

NFLD Sapper said:
Remember Pte. Butt my references are from THE CANADIAN FORCES MANUAL OF DRILL AND CEREMONIAL so somewhere someone lite up a smoke for it to be in there.

Now drop and give me 25  :pushup:

It's funny you say that, I just filled in my fitness log sheet for the night  ;D

Edit: End of thread hi-jack

Pte.Butt said:
I HIGHLY doubt that any CSTC would allow course or staff cadets smoke. The few courses I was in CFB Greenwood for I had Flt Commanders (Officers) who weren't even allowed to smoke near the complex, it is just policy. Smoking + Cadets = A No No. Now under age smoking in the military is a different ball game. It is allowed, I smoke, I am only 17 (well actually I quite trying to quite, as a new years resolution)

You can highly doubt all you want, I was on two courses there and I can tell you it DID happen. You are correct in saying that those smokers are not to be seen by other cadets, therefore they have their own little corner hidden from everybody else.

Pte.Butt said:
It is allowed, I smoke, I am only 17 (well actually I quite trying to quite, as a new years resolution)

Don't mistake someone's lack of enforcement for a law to be deemed that it is condoned by the Forces.

Under aged drinking and smoking is not ALLOWED, it is merely not enforced...

Back during my time in Cadets (88-93) Smoking was allowed in cadets. In fact at TACC (Trenton Air Cadet Camp), They had a smoke pit right next to the movie tent by the canteen.

It should not have been done though. But it happened. Much like the frat line getting stolen every year I was on course.

Nites

Smoking is still allowed in Cadets.

At NACSTC Connaught for instance, there is a square of string tied to poles in front of the canteen where Cadets may smoke. And it doesn't seem to be a big issue, Major General Petras(I think) was there to talk to us about our international exchanges(I went to Scotland). Infact, Connaught has a smoking policy for Cadets.

I really don't care if Cannaught has a smoking pit or Albert Head or Vernon. The FACT is purchasing and possession is illegal for those under the age of majority in their respectice provinces. Smoking underage is illegal along with drinking.

I definitely agree with you. It's very much against what some of the program represents.

I'm just pointing out that it does happen, and that in some places, it is taken to an extreme, especially since it is in the joining instructions of the camp(the National Army Cadet Summer Training Centre(NACSTC) no less).

Both Connaught and Blackdown allow cadets to smoke as long as they have a waiver filled out by their parents, they must then prevent this waiver to their staff in order to be given a smoking chit. Only those with smoking chits are allowed to smoke in the designated smoking area, those without are supposed to be disciplined accordingly.

MedTech said:
I really don't care if Cannaught has a smoking pit or Albert Head or Vernon. The FACT is purchasing and possession is illegal for those under the age of majority in their respectice provinces. Smoking underage is illegal along with drinking.

MedTech: The above statement is not correct at least as far as Ontario is concerned. It is illegal to sell or supply tobacco to someone under 19 but it is not illegal for them to have it. ::)

Taken from: http://www.health.gov.on.ca/english/public/pub/tobacco/act.html

TOBACCO : The Tobacco Control Act — What it's all About

Ontario's Tobacco Control Act sets rules about selling and smoking tobacco. Its purpose is to reduce smoking, especially among young people. It also limits people's exposure to second-hand smoke in public places. There are other municipal, provincial and federal laws on tobacco.

There are other municipal, provincial and federal laws on tobacco.

Tobacco

You cannot sell or supply tobacco to anyone under 19 years of age (the age under federal law is 18).

It is not illegal for someone under 19 to have tobacco. But the person who sold or gave it to them has broken the law.

National Cadet Smoking Policy - CATO 13-22
http://www.cadets.ca/_docs/cato-oaic/1322_b.pdf

News Flash......Hold on to your butts folks because I have it on good authority that Connaught will be a smoke free camp this summer.  No one, including officers, Civilian instructors, NCM's, staff cadets or candidates on courses will be allowed to smoke within the confines of the camp. 

Riobeard said:
News Flash......Hold on to your butts folks because I have it on good authority that Connaught will be a smoke free camp this summer.  No one, including officers, Civilian instructors, NCM's, staff cadets or candidates on courses will be allowed to smoke within the confines of the camp. 
Interesting.  How many Cadets would be LEGAL to purchase smokes to begin with?

George Wallace said:
Interesting.  How many Cadets would be LEGAL to purchase smokes to begin with?
Ontario is a screwed up place and allows minors to smoke legally and then punishes the vendor if they are caught selling to minors.

Kyle Burrows said:
Ontario is a screwed up place and allows minors to smoke legally and then punishes the vendor if they are caught selling to minors.

NB is the same way.

The stores get shit if they get caught selling them to them, as does any adult who gives them smokes. That's illegal (because those stores and people are "adults").

But the underage kids posessing smokes is not illegal, nor is it illegal for them to actually smoke. That's only "strongly discouraged".

I'd be curious if any provinces actually *do* have it in the law books.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back