• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cadets in Maroon Berets??

Jonny Boy

Inactive
Reaction score
hey i was just wondering if there was ever a cadet corp for the Canadian airborne regiment. and did it get disbanded with the regiment its self (which i think was a stupid move on the liberals part. but than again what isn't)? :cdn:

I thought there was a cadet or reserve unit in Pembroke that was associated with the Airborne regiment in the 80's anyone confirm this? :sniper:

"cadet or reserve unit"?   ???
anyway, there was an airborne cadet corps in edmonton. i doubt there is anymore, though.

There use to be a CAR Cadet Corp, but it changed to be affiliated with 3 PPCLI.

There was an Airborne cadet corps in the Pet area and it did retain its affiliation to the regiment even after the regiment ceased to exist (in much the same way the Winnipeg Grenadiers only exist as a cadet corps these days).

It isn't uncommon for Cadet Corps to retain affiliation to a Unit even after it's disbanded.

In Halifax, the Halifax Rifles Army Cadet Corps continues to wear the badges of the Halifax Rifles even though the unit was disbanded in 1965's.

I'm sure there are many examples of this all over Canada.

Docherty said:
There use to be a CAR Cadet Corp, but it changed to be affiliated with 3 PPCLI.
Actually the Edmonton Corp was associated with the Canadian Airborne Centre during the early 90s

Navalsnpr said:
It isn't uncommon for Cadet Corps to retain affiliation to a Unit even after it's disbanded.

In Halifax, the Halifax Rifles Army Cadet Corps continues to wear the badges of the Halifax Rifles even though the unit was disbanded in 1965's.

I'm sure there are many examples of this all over Canada.

thats cool. but why would they not do the same for the airborne regiment. it was an extremely famous regiment and we should still have the cadet corp. after all the cadet corp did not do anything to get disbanded

Keep in mind the Halifax Rifles (or other regiments) were likely disbanded for different reasons then the Airborne Regiment (not trying to start a thread about the disbanding of the Airborne Regiment, just making a point).

"Airborne Regt" = Bad Political Word in Ottawa.

That's probably one of I'm sure a hundred reasons why the CAR Cadet Corps where rebadged.

The cadet Unit in Petawawa was withthe CAR and at disbandment they went back to 3 RCR Jump Coy :cdn:

2551 - they changed their affiliation as was mentioned to PPCLI, but retained badges for some time after the disbandment of the unit.

Most Cadet Corps live longer than their AfUs in the case of disbandment, look at Vancouver's Irish Fusiliers. The Cadets lasted almost 50 years more !

The Irish amalgamated with my corp the BCRs last year.  ;D ;D

I believe the corps that was affiliated with the airborne was from St. Albert not edmonton(Or if you guys call St. Albert edmonton ::))

When I was a CIC Officer (early 90s) with 2551, there were only 2 other corps in Alberta that wore the maroon beret.  2 were affiliated with CABC, us and Fahler (IIRC) in Northern Alberta.  The other was affiliated with the Parachute Maintenance Depot (CFPMD).  I believe they were in Mayerthorpe, but could be wrong.

The cadets that were formerly affiliated with the Airborne Regiment are now affiliated with 3RCR, with Mike Company in particular.(formerly known as Para Coy)  They still wear the maroon beret, although now that the mock tower is condemned, that my soon be a thing of the past....until we can get base off their keysters to get it fixed!

Darn Striaght,  GO 3 RCR all the way

(Simply using the spelling for "a structure that holds back water" instead of the more inappropriate one is still unacceptable.  Please make yourself familiar with the cadet forum guidelines.)

Check out the Yellowknife army cadet corps.  They wear the maroon beret and PPCLI cap badge but their shoulder flashes are.....

I think that this is that elusive cadet SF unit that has the young-uns all in a tizzy! THATs why we never hear of this elite cadet unit - it does all of it's clandestine trg in Yellowknife! ;D

Back