• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAF uniforms don't have sizes for fit guys

Rocky Mountains

Inactive
Reaction score
upandatom said:
The shirts arent made decently, a Tailors wont "tailor" the shirt. Being tall, broad shoulders and neck, small waist, the shirts fit like a cheap quality poncho and bunch up at the waist. (Not everyone with a 46" chest in the CF is a rolly polly olly mofo)

I was like "broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip."  I used to wonder whether the Forces actually employed anyone who fit the profile presented by the shirt.  I used to sew out a inch or two strip on each side.  I think someone told me it was a hanging offense but the muffin top looked silly.

Rocky Mountains said:
I was like "broad at the shoulder and narrow at the hip."  I used to wonder whether the Forces actually employed anyone who fit the profile presented by the shirt.  I used to sew out a inch or two strip on each side.  I think someone told me it was a hanging offense but the muffin top looked silly.

Last year, I bought myself shirt stays and I never looked back. It does the job decently and eliminated the muffin top look.

Only problem is that It makes anyone look like they're wearing a Moulin Rouge get-up whenever the trousers come off.

Rocky Mountains said:

That V, I forget what one it is, Endo, Ecto, Enzomorph body type. But yes, its ridiculous. looks like a bag of left handed hammers, especially taking off your tunic at the mess after a function and this disaster of wrinkles and just awful size and fit.

I had mine tailored to fit, it was noted, and i was promptly marched in front of the RSM to explain why mine was different and actually fit. yeah....

At least one person, apparently.

Considering that tunics and trousers often need tailoring to fit properly, and nobody (that I've encountered, at least) questions that, making a fuss about a decently-fitting shirt has to be an extremely high (or low) degree of a-holiness.

My head transitions pretty much straight to shoulders with minimal neck... It's a problem  common to all shirts, not just cf shirts.

I had one long sleeve shirt and one short sleeve shirt tailored, I think it cost me $5 each at the local suit store (they had a staff tailor and he was quite used to doing tapered shirts)

I think it might have taken five minutes, he had it done before I was finished browsing the sale rack.

In the civi world, you would never buy a suit based solely on the three measurements of waist, chest and height to shoulders (and even there the jacket does not make use of the waist measurement).  I wonder if we could reduce CAF tailoring costs by having LogisticUnicorps ship uniforms sized to include more measurements.

I take my shirts and pants to a tailor as soon as they arrive from Logistik. I can well afford the cost since the clothing are provided for "free".

I know of a Commander who has all his shirts and pants tailor made. He refuses to wear Logistik crap as he calls it.

Loachman said:
....making a fuss about a decently-fitting shirt has to be an extremely high (or low) degree of a-holiness.
a Sig Op said:
I had one long sleeve shirt and one short sleeve shirt tailored, I think it cost me $5 each .....I think it might have taken five minutes...
FSTO said:
I take my shirts and pants to a tailor as soon as they arrive from Logistik. I can well afford the cost since the clothing are provided for "free".

I think you're missing the OP's point, which to paraphrase:
:tempertantrum:
No, for the sake of $5 tailoring we should change the system. 

MCG said:
I wonder if we could reduce CAF tailoring costs by having LogisticUnicorps ship uniforms sized to include more measurements.
I'm guessing, but I suspect that for the overwhelming number of CAF pers, what comes out of the box is "good enough."  It's rarely a 'dress of the day' for most people, given that for even the majority of our higher HQs it's deemed more effective to wear the butts out of CADPAT, Flight suits, Navy blue//black uniform (?).  So for 'LogistUni' to stockpile additional uniforms to fit additional measurements, when it seems like it's become a Remembrance Day/New Years Levee order of dress, would add to our already wastefully spent clothing/badge budget.
    :2c:

The long sleeve dress shirt is a disaster. If you don't want to be choked to death by the collar, you have to go with a size that makes it look like you're wearing a f****** moomoo. The shirt pockets are almost in your armpits and that's just for a 17" neck size, which for me allows for a bit of shrinkage to the 16.5" I normally wear. And don't get me started on the high-waisted, wide-legged DEU pants or the maternity wear looking gabardine.

Journeyman said:
I'm guessing, but I suspect that for the overwhelming number of CAF pers, what comes out of the box is "good enough."  It's rarely a 'dress of the day' for most people, given that for even the majority of our higher HQs it's deemed more effective to wear the butts out of CADPAT, Flight suits, Navy blue//black uniform (?).  So for 'LogistUni' to stockpile additional uniforms to fit additional measurements, when it seems like it's become a Remembrance Day/New Years Levee order of dress, would add to our already wastefully spent clothing/badge budget.
    :2c:

There is no reason at all for higher HQ's to be wearing operational clothing in the office. That clothing is the most expensive in our inventory and should only be worn when flying, in the field or when at sea. And I don't believe for a second it makes you more operationally focused in the office. If our people can't do their jobs unless they wear a certain article of clothing then we have bigger problems.

FSTO said:
There is no reason at all for higher HQ's to be wearing operational clothing in the office. That clothing is the most expensive in our inventory and should only be worn when flying, in the field or when at sea. And I don't believe for a second it makes you more operationally focused in the office. If our people can't do their jobs unless they wear a certain article of clothing then we have bigger problems.
This times one thousand. 

I wonder how many folks in operational dress in cubicle farms would DAG green tomorrow?

FSTO said:
...and should only be worn when flying, in the field or when at sea.

One of the featured RIMPAC images I saw today was of two officers (a Lt(N) and LCdr) touring the Battleship Missouri Memorial in NCD with ball cap. It's even getting to the Navy.

That said, Logistik clothes are pretty terrible. I'm not even all that fit, and the shirts still billow off of me. I'm starting to see USN and RN shirts, and handmade or heavily altered ones everywhere. It seems more and more people who have to wear this stuff every day are getting frustrated. In fact, I believe the official portrait of the Commander RCN depicts a fancy french-cuffed shirt under his jacket.

As much as the DEUs are a disaster, the Combat sizing is as well.

A 4" gap in sizes? sooo if your a 36" waist (comfortable fitting) your either going to get some MC Hammer parachute Pants, or some Tour De France Tights,

Same goes for the length, way to long or way to short

Shirts, even more WTF is going on.

No matter what the sizes are different, it may say a 3644 on every pair of pants, But Every pair fits differently.

I undestand we need to try to keep costs down, as stated with the More sizes from Logistik, but this is Day to Day wear for Many service members. Better Quality Control, and more sizing is needed for this.

My DEU needs minimal tailoring, however I get a combat moomoo for my CADPAT shirts. Apparently if you have long arms, you're supposed to weigh 270 lbs too.

I wouldn't call myself a rolly polly olly mofo but for some inexplicable reason, my girth, chest and neck have increased slightly in the last 5 years.(???) I think Logistik is restricted to using a fixed amount of material regardless of size requirement. I one case, the XLarge t shirt seems slightly smaller around as the medium only longer but for the dress shirts, I have noticed by hanging them side by side on a hanger that a 19" neck ss shirt is shorter than a 17" one. Now I am going to have to wear my belt up over my belly button like all good Navy Chiefs!!

Pat

Journeyman said:
I don't know if more sizes on shelfs would be the way to execute.  Maybe pants are not hemmed and sleeves not attached to jackets until an order is placed.  Tailoring still happens but it it happens in a big LUCorps sweatshop with economies of scale.

But maybe it is moot.  I suspect you are correct that the real savings already happen with the majority of pers accepting whatever size (regardless of best fit) comes out of the box. Then again, if we had uniforms that fit, maybe office dwelling staff would be more inclined to wear them.

Dont necessarily go blaming this on Logistik.

We had the same problems in my days and it was pre-Logistik's era.

We used to joke that there were three sizes in the CF: Too big, Too small and Mistake (it fits) ;)

They deliver what the government tells them to deliver.  It is DND where the sizes are determined.