• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

California becomes first US state to demand fast-food restaurants list calories

PMedMoe

Army.ca Legend
Donor
Reaction score
Article Link

California has become the first US state to force fast-food restaurant chains to list calories on their menus.

While New York officials introduced a similar law in April, California is the first state to impose the calorie-count in a bid to tackle obesity.

From 1 July 2009 fast-food chains with more than 20 outlets will be required to offer diners a list detailing the calorie counts and nutritional information of their menus.

From 1 January 2011 they will need to list this information on their menus and menu boards.

California governor Arnold Schwarzenegger said: “This legislation will help Californians make more informed, healthier choices by making calorie information easily accessible at thousands of restaurants throughout our state.”

More on link

Yeah, because people chow down on Big Macs, not realizing how many calories are in them or that they are full of fat.   ::)

Banning trans fats, fast-food calorie lists, what next, Arnie??

YA, fast food bad for you? Big surprise.

In other news, cigarettes can cause lung cancer and improper use of firearms can lead to death.

Flawed Design said:
YA, fast food bad for you? Big surprise.

In other news, cigarettes can cause lung cancer and improper use of firearms can lead to death.

And drinking and driving is dangerous.  You might hit a bump and spill your drink.  ;)

Well, I've got nothing witty to say (I'll have to think of something later  ;D) but I read on msn.com news not too long ago that a bunch of places in Cali. are imposing a law that limits the number of fast food places. For example, Eureka CA is only allowed 9 fast food places in the city. There are none allowed in Carmel.
I can't find the original link. It's around somewhere, on one of the many computers around here but I found a more recent article until I find the old one. http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/26528236/

From the link provided by crystalrh, emphasis mine:

LOS ANGELES - A ban on new fast-food restaurants in poor Los Angeles neighborhoods has made headlines around the world, but residents say they don’t plan to give up their cheeseburgers, fried chicken and tacos anytime soon.

The moratorium, which was passed in July, was intended to fight obesity in low-income communities of America’s second-largest city where healthy food is hard to find.

So rich people can get fat obese (or stay that way) and that's okay??

I can see banning certain types of businesses due to aesthetics.  Carmel, if I'm not mistaken, is a higher-end tourist town.  I can understand them not wanting the golden arches or a giant hamburger spoiling the landscape, but the quote above seems very big-brotherish...... :-\

PMedMoe... They did single out South L.A. and to me it seems exactly like what you're saying.

Also, I should add Clint Eastwood DID used to be mayor in Carmel. And he happens to own Hog's Breath Inn, which is one of the more touristy places to dine at... I'm sure Clint still has a pretty big say in that town. lol he's a big name in California, I've seen him on more "California" ads/commercials than I can count. I'm sure he had a say as far as no mickey d's in beautiful Carmel. I've got to admit (from being there) I would hate to see such a gorgeous place tainted by just a random ugly golden 'm', and a sign underneath that reads "Over a billion served!" Drive-thru included.

Back