• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Camelbak Hydration Systems

• Thread starter Thread starter Bringer
  • Start date Start date
On my BMQ we had to use the kit we were issued and no other kit other than maybe an fmp to write notes. I do have the camelback from wheelers and it works quite well. The only problem I can see with it is that if you are in the prone position for an extended period of time the "nipple" that you drink out of can leak a little bit. Another problem is the colour of the nipple sometimes does not blend in all that well with you surroundings. But other than that I find them to be great for in the field and for other civvie uses now.

The platypus that canadian peacekeeper sells on their website is basically the biggest one you can put into it. I believe its a two litre platypus. Any bigger won't fit into the camelback so well.

Issued  ;D
DownloadAttach.asp

Camelbacks are great but not a replacment for an open top water supply (I like Nalgene bottles better than canteens)

The camelbacks in desert or CADPAT are 100 oz and have a large mouth to refil and have both a cutoff and gasmask straw compatiblity.

I'm suprised they let D-n-A wear his camelbak on BMQ. They're ususally pretty anal about that kind of stuff when you're on course. Even in 1RCR you're supposed to keep your Camelbak on the downlow - either worn under your TV or stuffed inside your backpack. That said, my 3L Thermobak is one of the best pieces of kit I own. Before I was told to keep it hidden I had my C9 barrel and spare TV C9 Pouch strapped to it, making things quite a bit more comfortable.
These days I have mine stuffed in my backpack and in the field I take my 2 quart canteen out of my right C9 pouch so I have both the right and the left for ammo. Apparently the actual Camelbak is quite a bit better in terms of quality when compared to Wheelers/Canadian Peacekeeper's Platypus and the Blackhawk Hydrastorm variants. One thing I suggest is try pick up one of those bite valve covers. I'm currently looking to buy one of the small style valve covers (like on KevinB's Camelbak) because the big one I have doesn't fit through the loops on the shoulder strap on my backpack. I hate it when I end up drinking the filth I roll around in. :P

KevinB, that pack in the picture you posted, is it in MARPAT? Are you allowed to wear it with your unit?

Ghostwalk, me an some other recruits were probably allowed to wear it because a few of the NCOs had them too.

D-n-A - yeah it is MARPAT - yes I wear it.
Check out the thread on non issue kit...

Whoa Kevin, where did you get the Camelbak* Brand CADPAT pack?? Issued?? I wonder when LFCA's going to get them. Do they have them on the Camelbak* website? How compatible is it with the TV, how modular is it? Did you have to buy any pieces for it, i.E, Insulated tube cover, Mouthpiece cover?

Andrew

The issued desert camelbak

DSCF0502.jpg

I like the 3 litre capacity but really not sold on the small(er) mouth for refilling not to mention that it is exposed to the enviroment.

My other camelbak on the other hand is great.

DSCF0504.jpg

Notice the large mouth for filling and my personal favourite putting ice into.

DSCF0505.jpg

You won't go wrong with Camelbaks, and they have some excellent sustomer service is something does break.  As for using them on course, I can't really see a problem while in the field.  But in garrison it's probably a no go....but it is up to your course staff.  Once you get to a unit you SHOULD be able to wear them pretty much anytime you would need them.  I've had zero problems wearing either one of mine around.

Oh I second Kevin on nalgene bottles as well.   Camelbaks are great but they don't work all the time, or they break.   Nalgene on the other hand don't :)

My Camelbak-knockoff (made by schwinn, I think, for cyclists) flat out saved me during my FTX. First off, it had double the capacity of my canteen. So between the two of them, I could carry 3L of water. (Keeping in mind that I'm still stuck with the '82 webbing.) The hsoe allowed me two get at my water at any time I had two or three spare seconds. About the only time I wasn't drinking was during section attacks, or on the defence when I was under fire. I kept the canteen as a refill for my camelbak when we were taking a break for a couple minutes.

On ruck marches, it can be a bit of a pain the butt, but generally I'll just stick the camelback into the top of it, and feed the hose into the D-rings on my ruck straps. As long as I have a couple spare minutes when I drop my ruck, I can haul it out and wear it over my webbing.

By far, this was THE BEST piece of kit I've EVER purchased. The only con is that refilling it can be a minor hassle, particularly from Jerry cans, but it's well worth it.

On my SQ course, we have an OC from the PPCLI- he lets us use whichever kit we want in the field, as long as it doens't make us less effective. Apparently that's rare for courses, but it's a pretty lcuky break from us. My MCpl and Sgt also wear them regularly, and both are from my unit, so I anticipate being able to use it on regular unit exercises.

I hope to get an issued one at some point, but I know that that's unlikely any time soon, as they're still ops-only issue as far as I know. For the time being, any civvie pattern of duitable colour is a good buy.

Camelback also sells replacement parts for their kit so you can customize as needed.  I use the Omega res with the Canadian Peacekeeper CADPAT carrier.  No problems.  the blue tube will soon be replaced with a black one, or with a neoprene cover, and the bite valve i have has got a cut off that you turn when not in use, much more effective than the old "duck lips" that you just sucked on, but sometimes filled with dirt or leaked on you.  Another option that worked great in the Arctic is the MSR hydromedary, it is a bladder, only made of rubberized material, it held up a lot better than by old platypus that froze in about 3 minutes and spent the rest of the ex in the bottom of the sled.

What size Reservoir did you get? Because I hear the Canadian Peacekeeper ones only fit 70oz Reservoirs. And I'd like to have 3L.
I wanted to get a Wheelers Hydration Pack, but I think an Authentic Camelbak* one, especially in CADPAT, would fare much better. Probably better made too, and worth the extra cash. Hopefully, I'll just get issued one when I get into the Regs. KevinB already has one. I like the Omega Reservoir too. With the Big Bite Valve, and the Cut-Off.

I have tried to make several replies to this thread but I keep getting errors sayign I already posted...

Stay with the camelbacks over the others - quality is apparent.
Not sure when CTS will get the camelbacks into the system for troops not deployed.

The CADPAT issue camleback has a attachment method to daisychain to the TV - I suck it up and ruck with the ruck over the camelback - you dont have time to keep fiddelfucking with clips etc to add and subtract when you want to. The US 3colour desert is issued for OP Athena and Apollo does not have this attachment point.

Nalgene bottles - I first was introduced to them at the USMC Mountain Warfare Training Centre in 97 - the large mouths are very useful - you can chip ice and they rarely freeze 100% through.

I have a 10L MSR Dromedary which I use in my ruck for extended ops.

Are those Nalgene bottles the ones with the blue lids? and the blue translucent bottles? Hard as Heck to break?

Andrew - you got it those are the ones.

My driver drove one over with a LAV  :o  They won't take that...

Hah, a LAV. I doubt if anything will take that kind of weight. How do you use them in conjunction with your TV though? Do you just throw it in the canteen pouch?

Well the TV does nto have lots of room

Right side my 2QT/Utility has 6 mags

Left side has 1x 1L Nalgene and other odds and sods.  My Daypack has either another camelback or a Naglene depending upon what we are doign.

Back