• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Cameron Highlanders" Help"

Buford001

Inactive
Reaction score
This being Remembrance Day I opened a box and inside were pictures from a long history of Military in the family. There is one I am trying to get more information on. He was in the Great War  killed in action on June 17,1916. His name was Private James Albert Wood born Oct 11 1897 . He was with the Cameron Highlanders. Does anyone know how i can find out more. The picture I have of him in uniform wants me to find all that I can of him.

Another picture I have is of my grandfather he was with the Royal Canadian Engineer Corps he served in World War II . Along with just having a picture I also have with me his canteen,back pack, his badges,buttons from his uniform,cap badge &,shoulder flashes.

My father was with the Canadian Navy.

My husband and I are making a shadow box for each member as I feel they belong in view and not packed away and forgotten.

thank you
Diane

Buford001 said:
This being Remembrance Day I opened a box and inside were pictures from a long history of Military in the family. There is one I am trying to get more information on. He was in the Great War  killed in action on June 17,1916. His name was Private James Albert Wood born Oct 11 1897 . He was with the Cameron Highlanders. Does anyone know how i can find out more. The picture I have of him in uniform wants me to find all that I can of him.

Another picture I have is of my grandfather he was with the Royal Canadian Engineer Corps he served in World War II . Along with just having a picture I also have with me his canteen,back pack, his badges,buttons from his uniform,cap badge &,shoulder flashes.

My father was with the Canadian Navy.

My husband and I are making a shadow box for each member as I feel they belong in view and not packed away and forgotten.

thank you
Diane

British Cameron Highlanders or Canadian?  The 79th Cameron Highlanders in Winnipeg contributed soldiers to several battalions of the CEF, but there was also a Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders regiment in Scotland that had several active service battalions.

What kind of information are you looking for?  See this page for researching veterans -

http://www.mapleleafup.org/locator/research.html

This is what I have on Private James Albert Wood
Killed in Action Great War Edinburgh Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders regiment in Scotland .

I'm looking for anything I can find on him. He enlisted in the Army at a very young age Born 1897 , Killed in Action 1916,

Thank you I will check out the link you gave me

Buford001 said:
This is what I have on Private James Albert Wood
Killed in Action Great War Edinburgh Queen's Own Cameron Highlanders regiment in Scotland .

I'm looking for anything I can find on him. He enlisted in the Army at a very young age Born 1897 , Killed in Action 1916,

Thank you I will check out the link you gave me

Well, the link I gave may prove to be of little worth.  The Commonwealth War Graves Commission will have his information on file and perhaps they can direct you to the proper authorities in the United Kingdom to approach; as a member of the British Army he fell under their jurisdiction.  Sorry I couldn't help more; perhaps someone else here can direct you with regards to researching British veterans.

I've had some luck in Canada using private geaneologists, but be prepared to pay for their services.

Here is the info i found on the Commonwealth War Graves Commission site. Here is the link http://www.cwgc.org The service number should be very helpful in further research.

Casualty Details
Name: WOOD, JAMES ALBERT
Initials: J A
Nationality: United Kingdom
Regiment: Cameron Highlanders
Unit Text: 1st Bn.
Date of Death: 16/06/1916
Service No: 20769
Additional information: Son of James Bruce Wood and Robina Wood, of 8, Dewar Place, Edinburgh.
Casualty Type: Commonwealth War Dead
Grave/Memorial Reference: I. H. 32.
Cemetery: MAROC BRITISH CEMETERY, GRENAY

From the bottom of my heart I thank you for helping me find some information to go with his picture I have. Searching my Military Linage is a progress in the works and I am finding it to be very interesting.

Thank you

Here is an address in the UK where service records are held for soldiers serving up to and including World War One.

Public Record Office,  Ruskin Avenue Kew Richmond Surrey W9 4DU

Post World War One records are at held at the following address.

Army Personnel Centre, Historic Disclosures (Mailpoint 400), Kentigern House, 65 Brown Street, Glasgow G2 8EX

The records of James Wood may be destroyed as about 75% of them were during bombing in 1940. Unless you can visit the UK National Archives at Kew in person to search microfiche you have to write the above address to request records.

http://www.regiments.org/regiments/uk/inf/079QOCH.htm

Try this link.  It references the history of the Queens Own Cameron Highlanders (amalgamated as the Queen's Own Highlanders (Seaforths and Camerons) in 1961, subsequently the Highlanders (Seaforths, Gordons and Camerons) in 1994, soon to be the 5th Battalion Royal Regiment of Scotland)

Best of luck with your search

thank you once again, In my search I found out yesterday I have 2 more known relatives who fought in WWI and the pictures are outstanding. They stood stood with such pride. I wish I knew how to post the pictures I have to share with you. One of my relatives was stationed with Royal Scots Greys, Machine Gun Section  in WWI and he did not die in action.

be well, be safe

Back