• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can a US Soldier get stationed in Canada?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roman Legion

Inactive
Reaction score
As you may or may not know, I am a Canadian/American, I am in the US Army, and in the Military Police Corps, I would like to know if I can get stationed in Canada, who would I need to talk to about this, and where would be a possible station site for me? I'm hoping in Ontario, as there is family there!

US Soldiers can get stationed in Canada as part of formalized exchange positions - most often in schools.  You may find more luck asking for a posting to a base near Ontario - Ft Drum perhaps?

As an MP, could you not look at an embassy gig?

Marines do the security at US Embassies, not MPs like with us.

garb811 said:
Marines do the security at US Embassies, not MPs like with us.

That being said, there may still be a slim chance of an "Exchange Posting".  Someone would have to be very knowledgable and have good contacts to do the proper 'staffing'.

As an Army MP you wont get an assignment to Canada. Try to get an assignment to Ft Lewis,Ft Drum or Kandahar. :)

If your Air force and depending on your rank you can get posted to Winnipeg.  I worked with two US MPs, while I was there.

Doh! Missed the Army part.

Does the US military (Air force) still have personnel in North Bay ???

I believe the USAF (and pert much everyone else) has pulled out all of it's personnel out of Goose Bay Labrador...

I remember seeing a picture somewhere of US Army soldiers in Canada. I probably will just join CF, once I am released from the US Army. Will I get to keep my rank, and would I have to do the canadian basic training too, or will CF Accept my US Army training?

Romal ...like everything else.... the answer is "it depends"
Equivalencies will have to be researched.

Remember US drill is different to ours... though you should get that part sorted out fairly quickly
However, Can & US military law & relationship with the local authorities will be somewhat different on either side of the border... not sure I'd be prepared to send you out on patrol "as is"... though you should get that part sorted out fairly quickly.

Get a transcript of your military record & make contact with our Recruiting people - It's the only suggestion I could propose.

Good luck

I don't think anyone here can give a 100% answer on that. They (Ottawa) would have to look over what training you did in the US and what training we do here and see what is the same or different.....

Yeah, I might just do that, the worst I can get is no, or Yes, but you have to do like what some in the US military have to when they leave, and come back in later, a six week course, kind of a 'refresher' or 'update', actually its probably both a refresher, and update.

Be prepared to start over. The CF might let you wear any decorations you earned. Good luck to you.

I should hope being experienced, would not make me start back at no rank, but might be able to retain my rank equivalent. or if I do have a reduced rank, be put at a higer pay level than starting over again.

Our rank structure is a little bit different than what you have in the States.

Here a table of the ranks

I should hope being experienced, would not make me start back at no rank, but might be able to retain my rank equivalent. or if I do have a reduced rank, be put at a higer pay level than starting over again.

I highly doubt you'd start at any higher rank or pay level than anyone else joining the CF.

We have a guy in my unit who has time in the British Army.  I'm not sure of his former rank, but I'm lead to believe that he was qualified Jr NCO comparable to a Canadian MCPL.  He started in the CF as a PTE and did his basic and battleschool just like everyone else. As I understand, his former experience does not count for much on paper. It does however, show in his competence.  My impression is that on those grounds alone he's advancing ahead of his peers.

You may find some more information if you have a look at Foreigners wanting to join the Canadian Forces. FAQs.  You will probably be permitted to keep some of the Awards and Honours (Medals) you have earned in your USA Service.  I doubt you will be granted any rank on entry to the CF, as even Canadians with previous service are sometimes required to start at the bottom again.  The only way to find out is to take the advice given and visit a Canadian Forces Recruiting Center, bringing along all documentation as to your military qualifications.  They will be able to tell you where you stand, and it is them who will give you a Prior Learning Assessment and then an 'offer'.  If you read some of the posts from others who have served in other nations, prior to the CF, you may get a better feel of what to expect.

Roman I would suggest making the US Army your career and vacation in Canada. There are a number of good career avenues open to you within the MP Corps Regiment.

I think with T6's last response, all the options have been laid out. So no need to continue this.

Milnet.ca Staff

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back