• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

CAN FORCE ONE grounded in hangar accident

FSTO said:
So you went to "Venture, The Naval Officers Training Centre"?
I went to CFOCS in Chilliwack. Fantastic place to get your initial introduction to the CAF. I flew in the 707 5 or 6 times in the 90's and they really showed their age by then!

By 1969, Venture was no longer a Navel Officers Training Centre but a tri-service CF Officers' Candidate School. We were either the last or second last platoon to go through there as Chilliwack had already opened and Venture closed down for BOTC shortly after I left there.

Here's me looking spiffy.

67166535_2498550130283872_2942284435799670784_n.jpg

:cheers:

FJAG said:
... and Venture closed down for BOTC shortly after I left there.

Hmm... correlation does not imply causation, but...

dapaterson said:
Hmm... correlation does not imply causation, but...

Let's see now: the Royal Canadian School of Artillery in Shilo closed down and moved to Gagetown after I went there; 3 RCHA is now toast. ... I'm starting to see a trend.

:facepalm:

Cloud Cover said:
Yes, of course. Along with the SAAB kit that goes with them!

I gathered from EITS in the Canadian Arctic thread that it wouldn't be that simple to transition from one airframe to another and that we would probably be running up against the ever so common lack of money/people

Complete failure seems to be one way to get the kit replaced, put off until it's an emergency, than push it through

I believe in 2013(?) three options were presented to the government all of which suggested the complete replacement of all 6 Challengers, then in 2016(?) it was recommended to replace the two older Challenger 601's with used Challenger 604's. New Challengers were judged to be too expensive, so a Global Express at double the cost would look like a non starter, however probably considerably cheaper than an Airbus 310

And now they are running out of practical and pragmatic options.

Edit: whatever the cost of the Challengers or Global Express might be, this country has certainly no problem spending far more for less projects.  Neither one however, is a replacement for the Airbus fleet.

A couple, at least, of A220s? Made at Mirabel.

Mark
Ottawa

MarkOttawa said:
A couple, at least, of A220s? Made at Mirabel.

Mark
Ottawa

Right! this should really be a slam dunk. Twin Otters, Dash 8, Challengers, Global Express, A220 how hard a sell could it really be. I don't know what aircraft and in what numbers are needed for the VIP/ transport role or even if this service needs to be provided by the RCAF as opposed to being contracted, but it sure sounds like a decision is going to have to be made sooner rather than later. I'm not sure that any new Global Express or A220 are even available right now as I think there is quite a back order

The current production A220s lack the range to serve a VIP transport for a head of state / head of government.  Unless you can add about 50% to the range, they just aren't worth it.

A330 MRTT

https://www.airbus.com/defence/a330mrtt.html

Ozzies know how to do procurement right...

Ditch said:
A330 MRTT

Boeing KC-76 Pegasus, with a MOU with Air Canada to maintain Reserve 767 pilots.  Let them fly 10 months a year for Air Canada; we guarantee two months a year of military employment. 

Then get Boeing to develop a 767-based ISR platform so we can save on pilot and maintenance costs...

FJAG said:
By 1969, Venture was no longer a Navel Officers Training Centre but a tri-service CF Officers' Candidate School. We were either the last or second last platoon to go through there as Chilliwack had already opened and Venture closed down for BOTC shortly after I left there.

Here's me looking spiffy.

67166535_2498550130283872_2942284435799670784_n.jpg

That looks like a fairly new looking Fleet School Pacific building in the background?

The back up grounded

https://www.nationalnewswatch.com/2019/12/04/trudeaus-plane-damaged-now-backup-plane-grounded-in-london-u-k/#.Xek9825FyUm

Bad optics if they replace the VIP fleet before concluding the F18 replacement competition.  The opposition would have a field day with that one.  Granted the 150's are used for a whole lot more than flying the bosses around but that little fact is not what is thought of when the fleet is mentioned. Add the airbus ailments to the need to replace the challengers and you have the basis for another bad hair day

YZT580 said:
Bad optics if they replace the VIP fleet before concluding the F18 replacement competition.
True, but there would also be merit in some non-partisan consideration because it won't always be one team or another in power, so it's really an issue for both the winning team and the next winning team as the government in waiting (of sorts).

I know, dare to dream ...

Flew in the Governor General's Cosmo once.

CanadairCC109Cosmopolitan.JPG

Maybe we can get them back.  ;D

If I remember correctly.... In the Cosmo we sat on a couch pushed against the wall/fuselage. Had seat belt on but still leaned sideways on landing.  ;)

Baden Guy said:
If I remember correctly.... In the Cosmo we sat on a couch pushed against the wall/fuselage. Had seat belt on but still leaned sideways on landing.  ;)

In the Cosmo in Freddie, we sat on couch sized cougar on Saturday nights before the lights came on at 2am... because: Infantry :)

Baden Guy said:

Yup. And I seem to remember a table with an inlaid map of Canada.

Back