• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can I get a Medic over here?

paracowboy

Army.ca Veteran
Inactive
Reaction score
sorry for walking into your house, but a PJ on SOCNET was asking, well, heck, waitaminnit an' I'll just post the whole thing:

Canadian Pressure Pads
Anybody have any experience with these things? 11 3/4" x 11 3/4", 100% cotton. Made in Canada. SN 6510-01-506-4608. Vacuume sealed.

They are a large square, with "elastic side ties" attached to the middle of the dressing. It seems like they are for securing the bandage, but they look like Kerlix and possibly could be used for finding and packing a small bleeder.

Anybody use these things and can comment on effectiveness of sopping up blood?
told him I'd ask a Canuck medic to answer him. The thread is here:
http://www.socnetcentral.com/vb/showthread.php?p=600706&posted=1#post600706

You'll have to register there first, if you intend to answer him. And sometimes the boys over there can be bitchy about intros and profiles. They're a lot less sensitive than we are here.

Done my bit, thanks,

FYI, for those wondering what this item looks like:

http://www.chinookmed.com/detail.php?product_id=000804&limit_start=0

I couldn't open the socnetcentral.com like so initially I thought he was talking about the new U.S. Army hemostatic dressing. But looking at the link by old medic, I ask myself "why would you want elastic side tie" for your banadage.   You have no contol over the pressure apply over the bleeding area and worst you may apply too much pressure and create a tourniquet effect.   Anyone has any wisdom on this?

P.S. Do you think we will ever see those hemostatic dressing over here in Canada soon?  

P.S.S. If anyone is interested in a review of literature on hemostatic dressing:

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/query.fcgi?db=pubmed&cmd=Display&dopt=pubmed_pubmed&from_uid=16096535

I saw his post, went looking, haven't gone back to answered it yet...

Those bandages, while made in Canada, are not yet CF issue thru CMED. So I have yet to see them here.

The NSN number, -01- suggestesd the US military is the first to stock it (the CF has -21-), so no we don't have any experience here with them yet.

I have seen the dressing quite a few times.  Its a smaller dollar store version of the traditional field dressing that I believe costs $7.00.
They are like gauze or kling and work great for a smal cut but you woud need about 50 of them to absorb as much blood as a field dressing.

I'm having some problems getting onto the CAMMS right now, but it sounds like those little 4" pressure dressings.  Will confirm when CMED's computer will let me in.  A good thing I've found about using elasitc bandages on pressure dressings is that they are alot easier to apply to yourself, especially with only one good hand to help - you get pressure and can maintain it easier.  If it's too tight, you can always loosen it.

Will check back later.

MM

Well, got into the CAMMS, and got no joy - that NSN isn't listed in the catalogue it seems.

MM

Back