• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Can you bipass CoC for a CCM memo?

eastcoastcraving

Inactive
Reaction score
I have extremely personal circumstances of why I NEED a Contingency Cost Move. Part of my reasons are due to the treatment and backlash I have received from my current CoC. In my memo I briefly state this. Due to my CO being a giant factor in needing to leave my current base, I am wondering if a CCM Memo can be sent to someone other then the CO?  Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

eastcoastcraving said:
I have extremely personal circumstances of why I NEED a Contingency Cost Move. Part of my reasons are due to the treatment and backlash I have received from my current CoC. In my memo I briefly state this. Due to my CO being a giant factor in needing to leave my current base, I am wondering if a CCM Memo can be sent to someone other then the CO?  Any advice or help would be greatly appreciated.

Short answer is no as regardless of where it goes it will still end up at your unit. A CCM or CM needs a social work request from the unit to get the ball rolling anyway. If there are allegations regarding your CoC, anyone who is above your unit will investigate the claims against the unit as well.  At the end of the day all roads lead to your unit seeing the memo regardless.

My suggestion is go talk to your local CCMS as it sounds like this is less of an CCM issue (which are at their core personal issues that need resolving) and more of a workplace conflict issue. There are likely better mechanisms to solve the issue than CCM however everyone's situation is different but without any context it would be hard to give you a more refined answer.

just to add - if not already done see your local CAF social worker.  You can discuss all the details with them and they do not release them to the unit.  They can however provide a recommendation in regards to action to assist you which may involve a CCM without your unit knowing the details of your issue.

Change your memo to a more generic format that does not point fingers or single out anyone.  If asked for details simply state that they are personal and will only be discussed with the social worker.

Yes, I did have an occasion to use the system and was posted due to my circumstances. 

CountDC said:
just to add - if not already done see your local CAF social worker.  You can discuss all the details with them and they do not release them to the unit.  They can however provide a recommendation in regards to action to assist you which may involve a CCM without your unit knowing the details of your issue.

Change your memo to a more generic format that does not point fingers or single out anyone.  If asked for details simply state that they are personal and will only be discussed with the social worker.

Yes, I did have an occasion to use the system and was posted due to my circumstances.

It is a good idea but request for social worker report for support of compassionate or CCM is requested by a unit not the member generally.  The unit is the one that does much of the heavy lifting in terms of getting a file to the CM.  Even if they are bypassed the CM is still going back to the unit.

For the report yes the unit doesn't get all the details but they get enough to make an informed decision of support/non support to the CM

MJP said:
It is a good idea but request for social worker report for support of compassionate or CCM is requested by a unit not the member generally.  The unit is the one that does much of the heavy lifting in terms of getting a file to the CM.  Even if they are bypassed the CM is still going back to the unit.

For the report yes the unit doesn't get all the details but they get enough to make an informed decision of support/non support to the CM

Nothing stops a member from contacting the social worker directly (I did twice for different reasons).  One case resulted in a posting and at no time was the unit informed of the details only the recommended course of action and restrictions.  I also worked as a casualty care team member and at no point were we provided details of members case, merely the employment restrictions and recommendation.  Sure, some restrictions were a a giveaway on some cases and sometimes the member came to see me and gave details but at no point did it come from the social worker, padre or medical staff.  Had an Adjt try to get details out of a member who refused to talk to him, he tried calling the medical staff and demanding information that resulted in a call to the CO who in turn called the Adjt.  He never got the information he wanted even from me. I was told in confidence and cone of silence by member which I took seriously.

I suspect that the request is usually done by the unit because members are not aware they can or are scared to take that first step with the social worker.

Basically social worker can be engaged by either side.  Details are privileged and released based on members authorization unless there is a risk factor involved that can be mitigated by releasing the information to an appropriate authority.

CountDC said:
I suspect that the request is usually done by the unit because members are not aware they can or are scared to take that first step with the social worker.

Basically social worker can be engaged by either side.  Details are privileged and released based on members authorization unless there is a risk factor involved that can be mitigated by releasing the information to an appropriate authority.

Not disputing the privileged nature of the material, but the social worker report has to have enough detail to allow a CM to make a decision. Not everything is medical and protected in the same way. If a member needs a CCM for child custody issues then the CM needs enough info to determine if a posting to X instead of Y but in the same general area would work. No one is going to make a decision in a vacuum just hoping they get it right.

CountDC said:

That might be the case in some places, but my experience is even when the member ended up going to the social work first, they would turn around and ask for a formal request from the unit. Regardless it is a moot point how that gets done as at the end of the day it is a member initiated process but the unit is the one that does all the heavy lifting to get it to D Mil C so they just simply can't be cut out of the loop.

The process laid out in the DAOD:

6. Request Process

Process

6.1 A request for a contingency cost move for personal reasons or compassionate status, with or without a compassionate posting, is processed as follows:

CAF member
•identifies personal circumstances which may require a contingency cost move for personal reasons or compassionate status, with or without a compassionate posting; and
•indicates the impact of a contingency cost move for personal reasons or compassionate status, with or without a compassionate posting, on deployability and the ability to perform duties if the CAF member's request is approved.

CO

•investigates the request using the criteria of deployability and ability to perform duties;
•determines if the CAF member meets the requirements for a contingency cost move for personal reasons or compassionate status, with or without a compassionate posting;
•seeks additional information if insufficient information is available at the unit level or if he or she does not support the request, from the Base/Wing Social Work Officer (B/WSWO), chaplain or other appropriate professionals, to determine the nature and the extent of the personal circumstances; and
•submits all formal requests to the CAF member's career manager, provides a recommendation and indicates if he or she believes that the circumstances can be resolved by approval of the request.

B/WSWO
•at the request of the CF member's CO, assesses the extent to which deployability and the ability to perform duties are affected by the CAF member's personal circumstances; and
•makes a recommendation to the CO.

Career Manager
•reviews the request and available information, and presents it to DGMC, DSA or D Mil C, as applicable;
•if the CAF member is deployable and able to perform duties, recommends the CAF member for a contingency cost move for personal reasons;
•if the CAF member is not deployable or able to perform duties, recommends the CAF member for compassionate status, with or without a compassionate posting; and
•if insufficient information is provided with the request to make a determination on the case, returns the request to the unit for additional information.

DGMC, DSA or D Mil C
•makes a decision on a request for a contingency cost move for personal reasons or compassionate status, with or without a compassionate posting.

Career Manager
•informs the CAF member, through the appropriate chain of command, of the decision. If the request is not approved, the reasons are to be provided; and
•initiates posting action or change of status as appropriate for those cases approved.

Gaining CO
•for a contingency cost move for personal reasons, monitors the CAF member throughout the posting to ensure that the CAF member is working to resolve the personal circumstances and meet the conditions of the move; an
•for compassionate status, with or without a compassionate posting:
◦monitors the CAF member throughout the period of the compassionate status; and
◦at the end of the approved period, provides a recommendation in accordance with the conditions of the compassionate status or compassionate posting

the catch there is the member asking the question is dealing with a situation where his chain of command is the issue thus following that general guideline doesn't work, it is geared towards average issues.  He has to step outside to bypass them as it is unlikely in his view that they will openly deal with the issue. 

The report can be basically bloggins has a situation that affects him in this way and this is what is needed at this time to provide the chance to resolve.  The actual issue does not have to be identified in the report if there isn't a need to know nor does the report have to go to the unit.  A higher command level can replace the unit chain of command if the situation warrants it (such as they are the issue).  That is my experience with chain of command as the issue in a unit that resulted in several members leaving by different means (electing retirement, alternate work location assignment, posting, posting after advising they planned to retire if not removed, med assigned to JPSU).

DAOD's for a large part suck.  They tend to give short pat answers with no real material or substantive details.  They also never consider the what if cases.  Imagine - CO we have a request for a posting that states it is because you and the rest of your command team are the issue. Investigate and report.  good place for a what if stating in that case the request and supporting reports are to go to the higher level of command for action. 

Not sure CCM is appropriate.  It is used for personal reasons.  In this case, it is a professional reason...

Back