• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada and the DRAFT

Status
Not open for further replies.

jermeytinling

Inactive
Reaction score
hey guys i herd on the news that the united states are thinking about implementing the DRAFT again and i also herd that since Americans might move to Canada to dodge the DRAFT, that Canada would also implement the DRAFT

is any of this information true?

Jeremy :cdn:

jermeytinling said:
hey guys i herd on the news that the united states are thinking about implementing the DRAFT again and i also herd that since Americans might move to Canada to dodge the DRAFT, that Canada would also implement the DRAFT

is any of this information true?

Think about that one realy hard.......what does the americans, the draft and draft dodgers have to do with Canada ? Give your head a shake ! I think the draft has been discussed at lenght in another thread....maybe try and read it.  Do you think that there is a threat to canada that warrants the draft ? If so, maybe you should enlighten us all !  Do you honestly think that we would force canadians  into the military just to deter cowardly americans ?

Shake your head.......what do you hear ?

I did think about it and what i mean is that i herd that Canada is implementing the draft if the Americans do so that people from the states cant move here to dodge it and it also means if the united states were to go to war so would we

thats all i was wondering

The Democratic Party of the United States started the rumor during the last Federal election in an attempt to frighten young voters. Democratic Senators actually proposed a draft legislation in the house in order to give the rumor some credibility, no less than Donald Rumsfeldt himself publicly denounced the move and insisted there was not only no plan for a draft, but no desire either.

The last time Canada implemented a draft (WW II) it caused a crisis which almost brought the government down and laid some of the ground work for the current problems between Quebec and the Rest of Canada (ROC). The Liberals need those Quebec seats to stay on the taxpayer gravy train, so any sort of political calculus would immediately discount that notion.

As well, what purpose would a Canadian draft serve? We have no facilities to take in even a modest proposed 5000 new soldiers, sailors and airmen, and since the government is firmly opposed to fighting WW IV, all the extra soldiers a draft would gain us would be used for what?

After November 2, I would have thought the reality of the situation woudl become much clearer, but some people's foil helmets were obviously on too tight, and they are still spreading vicious and unfounded rumors.

Such is what happens when you repeat something you "heard" from an uncredible source.

For those actually in the CF, will the reserves be forced to go overseas to Afghanistan?  It would screw over alot of university students in the reserve.

No. 

This thread may be reopened once the Government begins to debate a bill allowing for the call up of the Reserves. Please do not expect that any time soon.

I've searched about for opinions on this and couldn't find anything.

As a reservist in the infantry, do you think there will ever be a time where could be a draft for people to go over to Afganistan? What circumstances would have to occur for this to happen?

Quite a few of my close friends are going on RCG TF107 (http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/tf107/TF107_e.htm), and as I understand this is voluntary service. 

Scaddie said:
I've searched about for opinions on this and couldn't find anything.

As a reservist in the infantry, do you think there will ever be a time where could be a draft for people to go over to Afganistan? What circumstances would have to occur for this to happen?

Quite a few of my close friends are going on RCG TF107 (http://www.army.forces.gc.ca/tf107/TF107_e.htm), and as I understand this is voluntary service. 

Scroll up (first hit on a search of "Canada draft")

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back