• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada Day...how will you be celebrating?

Well, 'tiz late Canada Day Eve here in Terra Australis, so I am first in.

Happy  :cdn: 141st Birthday Canada  :cdn: !

To all Canucks relaxing at home and abroad, and to others on duty worldwide, some on a hot dusty patrol in harm's way "over there", take a few minutes to think of home, as many, if not all Canadians will be thinking of you.

4hrs, 59mins to go til 01 Jul

RHFC_piper said:
Canada Day Parade in Cambridge, On...  Always a good parade.

Well... my plans have been dashed.  Thanks to spasming muscles around shrapnel wounds in my back, I'll be spending Canada Day on my back with a heating pad and some T3s.

Oh well... I'm just going to enjoy my day off.

Well, I've got a crock pot full of chicken cacciatore on the go, and fresh bread soon to come out of the bread machine... Apart from that, I'll probably just putter around cleaning and being domestic.

Well, just came back from the Canada Day parade at the old port, all went well.

Happy Canada Day to all!!!

Happy Canada Day all!  :cdn: I'm spending my day relaxing in the sun with a cold one. Then its off to Hudson's Tonight to start the Great Canadian Whyte Ave. Pub Crawl with a couple of friends. Better make sure my stuffs ready for work tomorrow in advance  ;D :salute:

Well I just saw the Steveston/Richmond Canada Day parade here in BC- the 12th Service Battalion with their MLVWs and other vehicles were also there, as were the RCMP and the VPD, to be expected, and the various cadet units, the volunteer groups like the CCG Auxiliary, the Fire Dept, and the many various civic, youth and ethnic advocate groups, etc.

Salmon Fest... ;D

I spent this Canada day working on my ww2 War department issued BSA WM20 :)

Coming along nicely. Great holiday :)

Nites

Had a fantastic Canada Day!!! 
Great weather, got a little bit of a sunburn, had a great bbq, had a few drinks with some great friends  and Downsview Park, Toronto, put on a spectacular fireworks show!!! 
Thought of all our troops at home and deployed around the world, you guys are what make Canada such a great place to live, thank you very much!!!!! ;D :cdn: ;D :cdn:

I ended up having to work some of the day, so didn't get to Lower Fort Garry. It was 32 deg in Winnipeg, and cooler inside, anyway. Later on I did get down to the street festival on Osborne Street, but it was so hot, I didn't stay out long. Heard a great band outside The Toad pub, though. The Mayor really opened the purse strings this year - a spectacular fireworks. After the fireworks I walked along Osborne again. The drummers were out sitting in the middle of the street, and they're great to listen to. It was almost chilly after the hot day.

King Elessar - did you make it down to the Midtown Bridge? It draws a bigger crowd every year!

:cdn:
Hawk

Picnic at the Elora Gorge during the day and watching fireworks over Lake Ontario at Burlington last night........awesome day.

Haggis said:
Weather permitting, I'll be celebrating Canada Day, my last day of leave,  on a 200 km motorbike ride with the missus.  Stopping for lunch in a quaint Scottish pub and then heading back to the city for the big bang in the sky show ...and a few wobbly pops once the steel horse is parked for the day.

Well the weather in eastern Ontario was awesome!  We covered almost 250 km of backroads across the entire width of the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.

Along the St. Lawrence River are lots of War of 1812 historical sites stretching from the Quebec border west.  We stared our tour in Glen Walter, ON, near Precious Blood Church, burial place of many historical figures including Dr. Darby Bergin (1826-1896), the first Surgeon General of Canada.  Eastward through Lancaster, Canadian hometown of Sgt Claude Joseph Nunney, VC,  past the Glengarry cairn (an 1840 conical stone monument, with stairway, to the Glengarry and Argyle Regiment, at the mouth of the Raisin River) and to the Quebec border.  North we went through St. Raphaels, and visited the ruins of first parish of Bishop Alexander MacDonnell, the warrior-bishop of Upper Canada (and founder of what is now the SD&G Highlanders). Westward on to St. Andrew's, home of the oldest stone church in Ontario (and a great Scottish pub), thence towards Lunenburg, Osnabruck Centre, Boucks Hill and Williamsburg.

We turned south to Cardinal along the St. Lawrence Seaway, site of many of the "Lost Villages", and passed the massive seaway locks at Iroquois.  We travelled east to Morrisburg and visited the Crysler Farm Battlefield Park, passed the site of the Battle of Hoople Creek (a delaying action), through Cornwall, hub of the St Lawrence Seaway and home station of the SD&G Highlanders (and the CF School of Aerospace Control Operations).  Went for dinner at a Chinese buffet and took in the excellent waterfront fireworks in Cornwall (and some from the Akwesasne reserve) until almost 2330 hours.

A super Canada Day indeed!!!  :cdn:   :salute:

Ventured over to Halifax via the ferry from Aldernay, beautiful day.  Did the waterfront tour, ended up at Keith's Brewery on the rooftop pub for some eats and pints, down to the Lower Deck, back over to Aldernay Landing on the ferry, wandered there, home to the stoop for some chat and refreshments  ;D, with an awesome view of the fireworks on the harbour from the Dartmouth side.

Luckily the fog burned off here before noon and held off all day...although it had returned by reveille and you couldn't see McNabs island from the base yet again  ;D.

Haggis said:
Well the weather in eastern Ontario was awesome!  We covered almost 250 km of backroads across the entire width of the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry.

Along the St. Lawrence River are lots of War of 1812 historical sites stretching from the Quebec border west.  We stared our tour in Glen Walter, ON, burial place of the first Surgeon General of the Canadian military.  Eastward through Lancaster, hometown of Sgt Claude Joseph Nunney, VC,  past the Glengarry cairn (an 1840 conical stone monument, with stairway, to the Glengarry and Argyle Regiment, at the mouth of the Raisin River) and to the Quebec border.  North we went through St. Raphaels, and visited the ruins of first parish of Bishop Alexander MacDonnell, the warrior-bishop of Upper Canada (and founder of what is now the SD&G Highlanders). Westward on to St. Andrew's, home of the oldest stone church in Ontario (and a great Scottish pub), thence towards Lunenburg, Osnabruck Centre, Boucks Hill and Williamsburg.

We turned south to Cardinal along the St. Lawrence Seaway, site of many of the "Lost Villages", and passed the massive seaway locks at Iroquois.  We travelled east to Morrisburg and visited the Crysler Farm Battlefield Park, passed the site of the Battle of Hoople Creek (a delaying action), through Cornwall, hub of the St Lawrence Seaway and home station of the SD&G Highlanders (and the CF School of Aerospace Control Operations).  Went for dinner at a Chinese buffet and took in the excellent waterfront fireworks in Cornwall (and some from the Akwesasne reserve) until almost 2330 hours.

A super Canada Day indeed!!!  :cdn:   :salute:

Sounds like you had a very good ride Haggis, I'm jealous.... Oh well, hopefully it slows down here at work in August, so that I can get some serious riding in......

I ran out of beer, but thank Buddah there was some tequila stashed away for such an emergency. Wandered up to a field a couple hundred feet away from here, and watched a couple dozen dollars worth of fireworks go into the air.

Midget

Heh... beer was available everywhere in Quebec :)
SAQ Liquor stores were also open.... :)

Party, party and party.....

geo said:
Heh... beer was available everywhere in Quebec :)
SAQ Liquor stores were also open.... :)

Party, party and party.....

Lucky. I'd like to meet the genius that decided for all NSLCs to be closed on Canada Day. I mean honestly, Canada Day is a day reserved for beer drinking, and they closed the beer stores.

Midget

Such is why I went to the 'Nog and drank my face off! :blotto:

I got to go to work and do a SAR change.  :eek:

After that I relaxed and enjoyed the nice weather with the family. :cdn:

Well, my Canada Day was a bit strange.

Some old lady wanted to jump off the bridge and so the bridge was closed for 6+ hours. My younger brother, who was on his way to the beach to watch the fireworks, was stuck on the bridge with loads of other people. My friends and I decided to do a neighbourhood BBQ instead because there was no way we could stick to our original plan. We needed some chicken and veggies so we drove to the store. On our way there, we could not imagine how backed up the traffic was. We saw so many cars that were parked on the sidewalk. People got off their cars to play football, frisbee, soccer, volleyball, and all sorts of sports. Some families were having picnics in the shade. Some employees from McD's, Tim Horton's, and grocery stores brought forth free food for the people who were waiting quite patiently. There was also nice music with talented dancers just off the bridge.

My brother came home and told me the fireworks really sucked, but he had a very nice day. He enjoyed playing sports and sharing food with the other people who were also stuck in traffic. What an odd day.

Back