• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada to Spend $5.0Bil on AEW Aircraft

Stupid question, where does the $5B figure come from? I remember the $300M in the DPU but haven’t seen anything else official. The first post seems like a click baity website.

PS- going on 10 yrs in Quebec City, from BC. Wouldn’t change a thing.

Should be added that the HADES was not suggested as an alternative to the E-7. Potentially an add-on capability to a 6500 GlobaEye/CAEW.
This^

HADES is a US Army replacement for its King Airs and Dash-8s. It isn’t an AWACS.

going on 10 yrs in Quebec City, from BC. Wouldn’t change a thing.
Ah, so you didn’t go for Shannon… ;)
1719445088170.gif

In contrast, China likes Canada's high speed rail ;)

Bombardier’s Joint Venture Wins Contract to Build 40 High-Speed Train Cars for China​

Rail technology leader Bombardier Transportation announced today that its Chinese joint venture, Bombardier Sifang (Qingdao) Transportation Ltd. (BST), has been awarded another contract from China Railway Corp. (CRC) to supply 40 CRH1A-A new generation high-speed train cars to the Nanning Railway Bureau.

The new trains will become part of the ongoing integration of Guangxi’s regional high-speed railways into the national high-speed network. This new contract for five eight-car trainsets is valued at approximately 543 million Chinese RMBs (€73m, $79m US) and follows a separate contract for 144 high-speed carsannounced by the JV in early March.

Bombardier owns 50% of the shares in BST, and the JV is controlled by BT’s partner CRRC Sifang Co., Ltd. This latest contract is the fourteenth high-speed train order that BST has been awarded since 2004.

Bombardier had a fire sale 3 years ago, selling off most of their aviation business to Viking,Mitsubishi and Airbus. My understanding is the entire rail business (which was a collection of rail companies from Canada, USA and mostly Europe ) was sold to Alstom.
All that remains is the Challenger & Global Express.
As far as high speed rail in Canada; the closet we got to building such was supplying the PT-6 gas turbines for the “Turbo Trains”.

They would need to vastly expand Hwy 4 (they won’t) and actually build anywhere near there for housing. A 2h commute to Port Alberni for housing, then another 2-ish hour commute to Parksville for anything more than your basic groceries isn’t my idea of a long-term solution. And I love the west coast of Vancouver Island.

Hwy 4 as it currently stands gets blocked in every so often by rockslides or accidents. That is the only way in and out of the west side of Vancouver Island.
With a population of about 2,000, no doubt Tofino is chock full of amenities, services and opportunities. As a bonus, your spouse could start making homemade soap or hemp underwear for the local population and tourists.

No thanks, I value my spouses career and employment.
You complain you don’t have opportunities to maintain proficiency in your SL but you would refuse opportunities to do so? Interesting. My wife spoke very little English when we moved to Cold Lake. Guess what? She adapted and it made her a better person. Life challenges are sometimes good.

Exactly. I'm an anglophone and I think it's BS to have a double standard on this.

I think Mirabel is less likely for other reasons. But spousal employment in an area just outside two of the largest metros in the country is unlikely to be a driving factor. Even if in Quebec.

And? I think you vastly underestimate economic opportunities in the Greater Montreal area for anglophones. It's definitely better than most of the small bases we end up at. And Mirabel is at least close enough to Ottawa to access some flexible remote work jobs from there.
Professionals needing licensing require working knowledge in both OLs Wife was from east, coast Cape Bretonese not accepted

That implies buying a fleet of VVIP just to have the GlobalEye.

No. It implies that we will have commonality between two fleets. And as long as commercial aircraft are manufactured in Canada, you should expect that the VVIP fleet will be a type built in Canada. You will never see POTUS flying anything but Boeing. You will never see the President of the French Republic flying anything but Airbus. Same here.

If GlobalEye/Global CAEW is the better platform and all at a similar cost and it won’t be a unicorn fleet, then by all means.

"Better platform" is irrelevant. We buy the minimum capability needed for the requirement. Paying for more is somewhere between luxury and overkill. And in this case, goes against other government priorities. Maybe the government prioritizes commonality with allies. But I can't see it when there is a highly capable homegrown offering. This is not at all like like maritime patrol replacement where the alternative was both less capable and came with very high developmental risk and higher total cost. A Global AEW would have 80% of the capability for about 80% of the cost with low to medium development risk and more of the dollars staying in Canada.

Professionals needing licensing require working knowledge in both OLs Wife was from east, coast Cape Bretonese not accepted

I understand the challenge for professional spouses. But that is way too specific a concern on which to make basing decisions. At the end of the day all our spouses take a hit with military life. The question is how many spouses and how big a hit. On this front, Mirabel would probably do better than many of the small town Anglo bases like Cold Lake or Petawawa, even if professional spouses struggled. And of course, for those with professional spouses, they can always be posted elsewhere.

No. It implies that we will have commonality between two fleets. And as long as commercial aircraft are manufactured in Canada, you should expect that the VVIP fleet will be a type built in Canada. You will never see POTUS flying anything but Boeing. You will never see the President of the French Republic flying anything but Airbus. Same here.

"Better platform" is irrelevant. We buy the minimum capability needed for the requirement. Paying for more is somewhere between luxury and overkill. And in this case, goes against other government priorities. Maybe the government prioritizes commonality with allies. But I can't see it when there is a highly capable homegrown offering. This is not at all like like maritime patrol replacement where the alternative was both less capable and came with very high developmental risk and higher total cost. A Global AEW would have 80% of the capability for about 80% of the cost with low to medium development risk and more of the dollars staying in Canada.
With your second paragraph you sound like you are ready for a PMO position. Stop making political sense.

Will the C-330 fleet at 9 Aircraft constitute a surplus or a U.S State department requirement? Not complaining but I was very surprised last Summer when a published requirement for a 5-6 Fleet replacement morphed into a 50% increase in capability.

With your second paragraph you sound like you are ready for a PMO position. Stop making political sense.

Will the C-330 fleet at 9 Aircraft constitute a surplus or a U.S State department requirement? Not complaining but I was very surprised last Summer when a published requirement for a 5-6 Fleet replacement morphed into a 50% increase in capability.
Materially more than 50%. Only two of the current Polaris fleet are equipped for AAR.

What is the published requirement for 5 to 6 based on? Are we using some proportion of that amount now with sharing with allies?

The extra money came from NORAD modernization. Presumably, the government is aiming for enough AAR capability to drastically reduce reliance on American assets, as part of carrying more of our continental burden. The previous view of 5-6 frames was basically a bit more than a 1:1 Polaris replacement. I think we also got a tad lucky getting the Kuwait Airways frames for cheap.

Materially more than 50%. Only two of the current Polaris fleet are equipped for AAR.

8x CC330T replacing 2x CC150T and 4x CC130HT. So really it's only 33% increase in the number of tankers. That said the 330MRTT is an absolute beast and when offload capacity is counted we're probably in the multiples.

The extra money came from NORAD modernization. Presumably, the government is aiming for enough AAR capability to drastically reduce reliance on American assets, as part of carrying more of our continental burden. The previous view of 5-6 frames was basically a bit more than a 1:1 Polaris replacement. I think we also got a tad lucky getting the Kuwait Airways frames for cheap.

8x CC330T replacing 2x CC150T and 4x CC130HT. So really it's only 33% increase in the number of tankers. That said the 330MRTT is an absolute beast and when offload capacity is counted we're probably in the multiples.
are the CC130HT's actually planned on being replaced and disposed of?

Back