• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada, UK, Australia, NZ favor EU-style "migration bloc" between nations

Status
Not open for further replies.

CougarKing

Army.ca Fixture
Inactive
Reaction score
This came with Commonwealth Day celebrations in the UK 2 days ago: (To the mods, PLEASE keep this separate from the Migrant Threat to Europe thread.)

*Given the number of Aussies I've seen living in Whistler, BC, I would have thought something similar was already in place...  ;D

Yahoo News

UK, Australia, NZ and Canada Support EU-Style Free Movement Between Countries
[Yahoo News]
March 14, 2016

A new poll has found “immense support” in Australia, Canada, New Zealand and the United Kingdom for a free movement "migration bloc” between the countries.

The survey by the Royal Commonwealth Society found a desire, particularly among the young, to be able to live and work in each other’s nations without needing a visa.

Support was highest among New Zealanders, with 82% in favour of such a scheme. Some 75% of Canadians and 70% of Australians also support the idea. In Britain, support was high, too, at 58%.

90% of New Zealanders and 80% of Australians between the age of 18-35 are in favour.

(...SNIPPED)

That would be excellent. Even for tourism it's insane how far in advance filing is required and the cost of visa processing.

As long as the Eurotrash and Poppy Burners that infest the UK are excluded from shifting here.

S.M.A. said:
*Given the number of Aussies I've seen living in Whistler, BC, I would have thought something similar was already in place...  ;D

Yahoo News

LOL! I also note that ads often have someone with a Aussie or British accent trying to convince to buy stuff, I guess a foreigner will tell the truth or know better than a run of the mill Canadian? 

S.M.A.:
Given the number of Aussies I've seen living in Whistler, BC, I would have thought something similar was already in place...  ;D

Same in Kelowna, BC. A lot of them are ski instructors and staff at Big While ski resort area. Some work in town.

S.M.A. said:
\

Oh you mean Whistralia?

https://www.enjoywhistler.com/articles/whistralia-the-australian-colonisation-of-whistler/

Colin P said:
LOL! I also note that ads often have someone with a Aussie or British accent trying to convince to buy stuff, I guess a foreigner will tell the truth or know better than a run of the mill Canadian?

There have been actual studies showing that "different" accents help sell products.  For whatever reason, more people buy Ginsu knives when flogged by a dude with a southern accent and where would monster truck rallies be without a redneck twang?

I would very much like to see freedom of movement amongst the Commonwealth Realms.  I been traveling into the UK on a regular basis lately and it kind of irks me that I have to stand in the long line to go through Border Control when the Spanish, Germans, Dutch, French, etc (all countries which at some point or another have waged war against the UK) flow through freely.  Canada has never waged war against the UK (and in fact has voluntarily leapt to its defence on more than one occasion), yet we have to join the long queue...

Pusser said:
I would very much like to see freedom of movement amongst the Commonwealth Realms.  I been traveling into the UK on a regular basis lately and it kind of irks me that I have to stand in the long line to go through Border Control when the Spanish, Germans, Dutch, French, etc (all countries which at some point or another have waged war against the UK) flow through freely.  Canada has never waged war against the UK (and in fact has voluntarily leapt to its defence on more than one occasion), yet we have to join the long queue...

For that very reason, the "Schengen zone", you are not likely to see it.  If the UK decides to leave the "Schengen zone", then you may see it.  Until then, the fear that Commonwealth countries nationals would by virtue of UK membership in the "Schengen zone", then allow them access like all other Schengen Zone members, would preclude that.  Not that many of us would mind that, for ease of access to all other EU countries......Skipping the long Non-EU Pass Controls.  [:D

jollyjacktar said:
As long as the Eurotrash and Poppy Burners that infest the UK are excluded from shifting here.
That's why I would prefer to leave the UK out of the equation; Cda, Aussies, Kiwis make for a fine combo.

George Wallace said:
For that very reason, the "Schengen zone", you are not likely to see it.  If the UK decides to leave the "Schengen zone", then you may see it.  Until then, the fear that Commonwealth countries nationals would by virtue of UK membership in the "Schengen zone", then allow them access like all other Schengen Zone members, would preclude that.  Not that many of us would mind that, for ease of access to all other EU countries......Skipping the long Non-EU Pass Controls.  [:D

I think it's still possible to have both. One might not need a passport to get in to the UK, but you would certainly need one to get out.

ModlrMike said:
I think it's still possible to have both. One might not need a passport to get in to the UK, but you would certainly need one to get out.

Once you have access to the Schengen Zone, you do not need a passport to move between countries within the "Zone".  There would be no Pass Control between the UK and other Schengen Zone member countries.  That is where the 'migration bloc' proposal would be stopped.

Journeyman said:
That's why I would prefer to leave the UK out of the equation; Cda, Aussies, Kiwis make for a fine combo.

I, for one, don't trust those dirty bogan Aussies.  They've infested Whistler, Banff, Fernie, Big White and Vancouver already.

;)

George Wallace said:

Actually, that has nothing to do with this as the UK is not signatory to the Schengen Treaty and thus, is not part of the Schengen Zone.  Even EU nationals need to show their passport to get into the UK, they just get to go in the fast line as EU nationals.  The Schengen Zone has no internal border controls at all and once inside, you don't even need to carry a passport (including non-EU/Schengen citizens).  Furthermore, not all Schengen members are members of the EU (e.g. Switzerland and Norway).  Being a citizen of a Schengen member does not give you the right to work and live anywhere in the Schengen Zone or the EU, but being a citizen of an EU member does give you the right to live and work anywhere in the EU.

The UK is not a member of the Schengen Agreement ...

map.jpg

... but the UK is part of the EU which means that visitors from other EU countries need only a passport or national ID card, not a visa.

The UK, Australia, Canada and New Zealand could, vert simply, establish a similar regime ... but there are obstacles. Australia, for example, requires a passport and a visa for everyone from everywhere except Australia and New Zealand. The UK and Canada, on the other hand, require passports but not visas (but foreigners, except US citizens) need a new electronic travel authorization (rather like the Australian electronic visa) to enter or even transit through Canada.

So.................what I am getting out of this discussion is that if Canada, UK, Aus & NZ had this deal, all the "NEW" immigrants flooding into Britian the past 20 years would have a free pass to all these countries?

GAP said:
So.................what I am getting out of this discussion is that if Canada, UK, Aus & NZ had this deal, all the "NEW" immigrants flooding into Britian the past 20 years would have a free pass to all these countries?

AH YUP!

GAP said:

This is all hypothetical of course, but not necessarily.  If Canada, the UK, Australia and New Zealand wanted to enter into an agreement that allowed freedom of movement between these countries, they could restrict it to citizens.  In other words, all the "NEW" immigrants would not have the same freedom of movement. 

An example of this type of arrangement already exists in that the freedom of movement within the EU only applies to citizens.  Being legally allowed to reside in one EU nation does not give someone the right to live or work in any other EU nation if they're not an EU citizen.  There are currently thousands of non-EU citizen migrants now sitting in France.  They're not being allowed in the UK, despite them being physically present within the EU.  Furthermore, the recent Syrian refugees that do manage to gain legal residency within EU member nations are being restricted to the nations that are accepting them.

GAP said:

Exactly the types I was bitching about.  They're mostly all trash and I don't want to see them come here or be able to come here.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back