• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's History of poor MNDs

The US military is "Ginormous" and the leverage it can bring to bear is downright scary politically. Therefore it commands a big part of the "power pie" in the US.

The military in the US really didn't start out that way. The US til post WW1 really didn't want a huge standing army/military and was isolationist until FDR or thereabouts. Post WWII we can see the military starting to become self aware and evolve into what it is today.
So is Canada's. The concept of a standing army outnumbering the "Militia" because of a "come as you are war" is a Cold War concept that just refuses to go away.

We still have a headquarters large enough to support a force triple to quadruple our size.

🍻

It is perhaps telling that despite Brooke Claxton’s stellar service both as a soldier and as MND, he is probably more remembered for his service as the Minister of Health. After all, Defence hasn’t even named a building after him, while Health Canada did (in Tunney’s Pasture).

The CFSME building to train EOD should be named after Rocky Leja, but we are where we are...

So is Canada's. The concept of a standing army outnumbering the "Militia" because of a "come as you are war" is a Cold War concept that just refuses to go away.

We still have a headquarters large enough to support a force triple to quadruple our size.

🍻

Which is probably the point, really.

All we need now is a realistic mobilization plan to justify it.

Hey, maybe we can start by numbering our Infantry battalions from 1 to 200+? :)

And in other news, Paul Helleyer passed away recently.

Whoever decided to use a photo of him next to a sailor in square rig sure has a sense of humour.

^^ The like wasn’t for Mr Hellyer’s death but at the comment regarding a uniform the minister needlessly got rid of.

And in other news, Paul Helleyer passed away recently.

Whoever decided to use a photo of him next to a sailor in square rig sure has a sense of humour.

Animated GIF

^^ The like wasn’t for Mr Hellyer’s death but at the comment regarding a uniform the minister needlessly got rid of.
I don't recall anyone in our PRes RCASC company being noticeably upset when we switched from the khaki 1949 pattern Battle Dress to the "new" green uniform.

I don't recall anyone in our PRes RCASC company being noticeably upset when we switched from the khaki 1949 pattern Battle Dress to the "new" green uniform.

I don't think the Army, or the RCAF for that matter, suffered a loss of identity, culture or pride quite like the RCN did with the implementation of unification.

I don't think the Army, or the RCAF for that matter, suffered a loss of identity, culture or pride quite like the RCN did with the implementation of unification.
I still admire the photos of my father in his RCN uniform during the war. He was an Engine Room ART APP.

Can't picture him in anything other than the old "square rig".

I asked him why he joined at age 17. He said, "For the uniform." :)

I guess the Navy experienced it differently.

I guess the Navy experienced it differently.
I guess so. This seems like a logical explanation,

Back