• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canada's Speech from the Throne (SFT) 2019

The Bread Guy

Staff member
Directing Staff
Subscriber
Donor
Reaction score
Full text of latest SFT still not available as of this post, but PM's statement on it is ...
“This fall, Canadians sent a clear message: they want their Parliamentarians to work together on the issues that matter most to them. We have a mandate from Canadians to fight climate change, strengthen the middle class, walk the road of reconciliation, keep people safe and healthy, and position our country for success in an uncertain world. Canadians have chosen to keep moving forward, and this is our plan to do just that.

“Our children and grandchildren will judge us by how we confront the defining challenge of our time – climate change. We must act now to protect the environment, while growing the economy and making life more affordable. This Government will continue to lead with a price on pollution, and set an ambitious target to achieve net-zero emissions by 2050. We will also support cleaner, more efficient communities and homes, and protect more of our land and oceans. At the same time, we will work to get Canadian resources to new markets, and provide unwavering support to the hardworking Canadians in our natural resources sectors.

“All Canadians should benefit from our country’s economic success. This Government’s first act will be to cut taxes for all but the wealthiest, giving more money to middle class families and those who need it most. We will also make it easier for people to get an education, buy their first home, and find care for their kids. In the last mandate, we reduced poverty across the country, and we will continue crucial investments in areas like affordable housing. For workers, we will help people enter the workforce, grow their skills, and transition between jobs. This is part of our responsible plan to build a strong and growing modern economy.

“In 2015, we promised a new relationship with Indigenous peoples – one that would help deliver a better quality of life for their families and communities. While we have made important progress, there is still much to do. We will continue to move forward in partnership to deliver on the distinct priorities of Indigenous peoples. This will include, among other things, action in the next year to implement the United Nations Declaration on the Rights of Indigenous Peoples.

“All Canadians want to live in a country where, when people are sick, they can get the help they need. We will work with the provinces and territories to ensure that people can access quality health care, including drug coverage.

“A better quality of life also means feeling safe. We will take action to prevent the devastating effects of gun violence by banning military-style assault rifles, and allowing municipalities to ban handguns. In addition, we will take further steps to address gender-based violence in Canada.

“Importantly, we will also continue to recognize our solemn duty to those who serve in the Canadian Armed Forces, and invest to improve mental health care supports and housing for veterans.

“Finally, in an uncertain world, we will stand up for the values and interests that are core to our prosperity and security – democracy, human rights, and respect for international law. We will continue to build partnerships that make our country, and world, more safe, just, prosperous, and sustainable. We will also renew our commitment to peacekeeping, and continue to help the world’s most vulnerable people reach their full potential.

“Canadians are counting on us, and this plan is a path forward for everyone. We have common ground and shared purpose. Together, we can and we will overcome the challenges of today to build a brighter tomorrow.”

Text is available now - a few highlights ....
...  The Government will crack down on gun crime, banning military-style assault rifles and taking steps to introduce a buy-back program. Municipalities and communities that want to ban handguns will be able to do so. And the Government will invest to help cities fight gang-related violence.

We are on the eve of the 30th anniversary of the horrific killing of 14 women at l’École Polytechnique in Montréal, a day when all Canadians pause to remember and honour those women who were killed because of their gender. And we take stock of the harm that gender-based violence continues to do to Canadian society.

The Government will take greater steps to address gender-based violence in Canada, building on the Gender-Based Violence Strategy and working with partners to develop a National Action Plan.

(...)

the Government will continue to recognize its solemn duty to those who choose to serve in the Canadian Armed Forces.

In the last mandate, the Government invested more than $10 billion to deliver better outcomes for Canada’s veterans.

And in this new Parliament, the Government will build on that work by improving mental health care supports, and helping ensure that every homeless veteran has a place to call home.

(...)

Canadians expect their leaders to stand up for the values and interests that are core to Canada’s prosperity and security – democracy, human rights, and respect for international law. Canadians expect the Government to position Canada and Canadians for success in the world.

As a trading nation, the Government will seek out opportunities for Canadian commerce, ingenuity, and enterprise.

As a coalition-builder, the Government will build partnerships with like-minded countries to put Canada’s expertise to work on a global scale, in areas like the promotion of democracy and human rights, the fight against climate change and for environmental protection, and the development and ethical use of artificial intelligence.

As an ally, the Government will contribute to multilateral efforts to make the world more safe, just, prosperous, and sustainable. The Government will renew Canada’s commitment to NATO and United Nations peacekeeping. It will stand up for the rules-based international order when that order is put in question, particularly when it comes to matters of trade and digital policy. And it will continue to ensure that Canada’s voice is present at the UN, notably on the UN Security Council.

Finally, as a compassionate partner, the Government will provide targeted resources for international development assistance, including investments in education and gender equality. It will help the world’s poorest and most vulnerable people live better lives and become strong partners for Canada in turn ...
More @ link.

Throne Speech of new Justin Trudeau gov't almost comically vapid--"we are inextricably bound to the same space-time continuum and on board the same planetary spaceship". Much of it a porridge of motivational platitudes--"Indigenous genius, that allowed this nation to thrive"--GovGen painfully thespian, chirpy and cheerful. Overall a wretched effort. Bits I've quoted apparent done by GG herself.

Video here, speech starts around 39:30:
https://www.canada.ca/en/privy-council/campaigns/speech-throne/speech-from-the-throne.html

Mark
Ottawa

Eye In The Sky said:
Summary:    :blah:
C'mon, not even the homage to Major Tom?  ;D
We know that we are inextricably bound to the same space-time continuum and on board the same planetary spaceship.

"There are all kinds of devices invented for the protection and preservation of countries: defensive barriers, forts, trenches, and the like... But prudent minds have as a natural gift one safeguard which is the common possession of all, and this applies especially to the dealings of democracies.

What is this safeguard?

Skepticism. This you must preserve. This you must retain. If you can keep this, you need fear no harm."   

Demosthenes

The Government will crack down on gun crime, banning military-style assault rifles and taking steps to introduce a buy-back program. Municipalities and communities that want to ban handguns will be able to do so. And the Government will invest to help cities fight gang-related violence.

We are on the eve of the 30th anniversary of the horrific killing of 14 women at l’École Polytechnique in Montréal, a day when all Canadians pause to remember and honour those women who were killed because of their gender. And we take stock of the harm that gender-based violence continues to do to Canadian society.

Nothing makes me prouder to be a Canadian than knowing my government wants to take away my legally purchased private property, so that people that don't know me can feel safer several provinces away.

That's "peace, order, and good government" for sure...

Furniture said:
The Government will crack down on gun crime, banning military-style assault rifles and taking steps to introduce a buy-back program. Municipalities and communities that want to ban handguns will be able to do so. And the Government will invest to help cities fight gang-related violence.

Nothing makes me prouder to be a Canadian than knowing my government wants to take away my legally purchased private property, so that people that don't know me can feel safer several provinces away.

That's "peace, order, and good government" for sure...

Good luck with that. I expect very low compliance. Municipalities are going to be in charge of banning handguns, that's going to go over well

suffolkowner said:
Good luck with that. I expect very low compliance. Municipalities are going to be in charge of banning handguns, that's going to go over well

I feel like the value of non-restricted non-registered rifles just shot up.

Gotta admit I'm a little excited at the idea of pre-registering all my laser and plasma rifles online for the buy back.

Jarnhamar said:
I feel like the value of non-restricted non-registered rifles just shot up.

Gotta admit I'm a little excited at the idea of pre-registering all my laser and plasma rifles online for the buy back.

... and every Cop in Canada went ‘oh no’...

Back