• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Civilians Fighting ISIS (including threats to YPG)

Colin P said:
He is a Canadian Citizen choosing to fight scumbags on his own time who have threatened Canada with physical harm and as I recall a Veteran who served in the sandbox as well. As far as I am concerned he has earned the right to wear it and if happens that he kills some of those scumbags while wearing it, all the better. It's a free country more or less. People joining up foreign militaries or organizations to fight bad guys without official sanction is a long tradition.

Quite so.  Hear hear.

Altair said:
It's not like the Canadian army is going to.

I wonder if Canadians in the 1930's said the same thing, when they sailed off to Spain to fight; only to find Canada declare war a few years later.

Do you actually have insight into what the Canadian Government has planned?

Altair said:
My comment is directed at the current situation in the CAF,  not years past.  I have great respect is for those who went over to Afghanistan and the many who didn't return. But currently 99 percent of the CAF sits around in Canada, not over in Iraq or Syria fighting a group who beheads journalists,  aid workers,  kurds and anyone who doesn't subscribe to their twisted form of Islam.

Hiller is fighting this current group of scum,  as he fought the last group,  which is better than what 99 percent of CURRENT military  members are doing(for free I might add).  In my opinion he can wear whatever damn flag he wants as long as he's shooting at the zehaf-bibeaus of the world. It's not like the Canadian army is going to.
The CAF goes and does what it is told to do by the Government of Canada. The CAF does not pick and choose where they want to go and do.

You may wish to retract your inane comment.

George Wallace said:
I wonder if Canadians in the 1930's said the same thing, when they sailed off to Spain to fight; only to find Canada declare war a few years later.

Do you actually have insight into what the Canadian Government has planned?

The Canadian government regardless of the party sitting in the hotseat likely has a crystal ball that at best looks in detail for about 30 days and vaguely out to the next election.

If he/they is a/are former member of the armed forces, veteran or not, he is not representing this country at the present time and it is as simple as that. Perhaps he is representing the sentiments of some of his countrymen, who knows, but there is a wide difference.

Who is going pay for the PTSD, wound care and all the rest for these guys when they come home all fucked up? Really, is this the only useful thing these guys could be doing right now. The ground and bomber crews of the RCAF, and some special forces folks [forgive me if I do not mention the rest] are currently wearing the patch and doing the job of killing off ISIL in manner that is commensurate with what Canada needs to be doing given our status as a small and diminishing power. 

whiskey601 said:
Who is going pay for the PTSD, wound care and all the rest for these guys when they come home all fucked up?
:nod:

Let's lighten up. He's wearing a Canadian flag, big deal. Only a moron would look at his non Canadian uniform and think he was there as a CAF soldier, sent by the government. Flag or no.

If someone doesn't like it, don't support it.

That doesn't mean anyone else can't..........or have their own opinion on it.

However, let's not run the guy down because he identifies as a Canadian and wears an IR patch that looks like the flag.

That "patch" is no longer the exclusive property of the Gov't of Canada and the CAF. It can be purchased online from any number of vendors. Just Google Canadian Flag IR patch. So a hippy travelling Europe with one is going to be identified as a CAF soldier?

As to health care, etc, who pays for all the wingnuts that are fucked up because of drugs and have never set foot out of their city?

It's the same answer.

Someone needs a session of square breathing or a bottle of scotch.

We're moving on. This portion of the discussion is not part of this threads purpose. The sidetracks end here.

---Staff---

phubardragoon said:
1st North American Expeditionary Force
A non profit organization under CRA 912409-8

What they are : a group of veterans
What they do: They are setting up processes, international connections  and whatever support they can  for those veterans, volunteering , paying their own way and  "Planning to go and fight ISIS anyway" without knowing how to go about it in the safest way.
THE goal reduce the risk to these brave veterans in whatever way possible and provide support to them as much as possible.
They deter and security screen for "adventurists" for  lack of a more descriptive word.  Those with out the proper skill set. 

Please do your research ..reach out to them. They will respond. within OPSEC  and PERSEC  boundaries. 

Or Ask me..I will answer you.

PhubarDragoon

Hi PhubarDragoon,

What does 1NAEF do with the donations they received from Canadians?  Have they contributed any money to the mentioned Night Vision fund raiser?

More about the foreigners fighting ISIL, including Canadians:
While illegally crossing the Iraqi-Syrian border, Canadian Peter Douglas was adamant that his incursion was for humanitarian reasons - to help the people of Syria.

Douglas is one of a growing band of foreigners to dodge authorities and join the fight against Islamic State militants who have killed thousands and taken vast parts of Iraq and Syria, declaring a caliphate in territory under their control.

Many of these fighters argue they are there for humanitarian reasons but they say their decision to take up arms to fight for the Syrian people will not be viewed as such by some.

"I want to fight the Islamic State, although it might be the last thing I do," said Douglas, 66, from Vancouver, as he prepared to board a boat crossing a remote stretch of the Tigris River .

"I know I have 10 years to live before I will start develop dementia or have a stroke so I wanted to do something good," he added, although he acknowledged that taking up arms was new on the list of jobs and occupations he has previously pursued.

So far an estimated few dozen Westerners have joined Kurdish fighters battling Islamic State in northern Syria, including Americans, Canadians, Germans, and Britons.

The Syrian Kurdish armed faction known as the YPG has not released official numbers confirming foreign or "freedom fighters" and academics say it's hard to assess the total.

But the number pales compared to an estimated 16,000 fighters from about 90 countries to join Islamic State since 2012, according to the U.S. Department of State figures ....

Welcome home.  Full story at link below.

Dillon Hillier, Canadian vet who fought ISIS, returns home safely, parents say

Father Randy Hillier, an Ontario MPP, confirms news through Facebook statement
CBC News Posted: Jan 27, 2015 5:42 PM ET| Last Updated: Jan 27, 2015 5:42 PM ET

A Canadian veteran has returned home safely after aiding the Kurdish fight against ISIS, according to a statement from his parents posted to social media on Tuesday.

Dillon Hillier, 26, is a retired corporal in the Princess Patricia's Canadian Light Infantry who flew to northern Iraq in November to fight alongside a group battling the Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS).

On Dec. 1, Hillier posted a dramatic video from the front lines, where he could be seen bandaging a wounded man. While it's not illegal for Canadians to join the Kurdish Pshmerga, the federal government is discouraging military veterans from doing it.

On Tuesday, Jane and Randy Hillier posted a joint statement to Facebook confirming their son Dillon has returned home safely.

Full Story

I'm still curious why his own family crowd sourced to pay for the NVGs when the "1st North American Expeditionary Force" have been accepting thousands of dollars of donations.

After all this has there been only one ex CF member (or Canadian civilian for that matter) that's actually gone over and fought ISIS?

Soon, a book about his adventure. Likely followed by a movie about ten years from now...depending on what events took place.

And the news keeps describing him as a 26 year old retired Corporal.  26...and retired?  With a what....5-6 year pension?  At best he's an ex-Corporal who quit to take on some other career.  Then again, I shouldn't be surprised with Canadian media.

Jarnhamar said:
After all this has there been only one ex CF member (or Canadian civilian for that matter) that's actually gone over and fought ISIS?

There's been more, but not very public or successful.

Danjanou said:
Paul Gross movie starring Shawn Ashmore a year after?  8)

As long as it's better than "Passchendaele"....sweet J****, what a crap movie...so disappointing...

Jarnhamar said:
A second CF veteran has now made it know that he has gone to the fight.  Brandon Glossop, formerly of the PPCLI, joined the Kurdish fighters sometime over the past week.

http://news.nationalpost.com/2015/02/23/second-canadian-vet-battling-isis-brandon-glossop-felt-need-to-go-after-ottawa-quebec-attacks/

Back