• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Officer guilty of wearing unearned medals.

Status
Not open for further replies.

eliminator

Reaction score
It will be interesting to see how this one turns out:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadian-military-officer-accused-of-wearing-fake-medals/article19703235/

Canadian military official faces charges of wearing unearned medals

A high-ranking military official faces multiple charges after allegedly wearing medals on her uniform she didn’t earn.

Lieutenant-Colonel Debbie Miller, a 34-year veteran of the Canadian Armed Forces currently posted to the Canadian Defence Academy in Kingston, is expected in court in October on three charges of unlawful use of military uniforms or certificates.

The 57-year-old also faces eight charges of conduct to the prejudice of good order and discipline.

Military police launched the investigation after another member of the military filed a complaint about Lt.-Col. Miller’s medals in December, 2012, said Captain David Hitchcock, detachment commander at 2 Military Police Regiment in Kingston. Lt.-Col. Miller was charged in April the next year.

“I believe she was outed at an event or something with her unit and someone there noticed,” Capt. Hitchcock said, adding that investigators then conducted interviews and used photos to probe the allegations against Lt.-Col. Miller.

Captain Joanna Labonte, spokesperson for the Provost Marshal, said Lt.-Col. Miller is still on duty in Kingston, though it’s unclear whether her duties have changed.

Lt.-Col. Miller did not return multiple voicemail messages left at her Defence Academy number in Kingston.

While in Kingston, Lt.-Col. Miller reviewed books and wrote an opinion piece for the Canadian Military Journal about a new strategy to modernize armed-forces training and education.

In a short biography under her articles, she used the postnominal letters OMM and CD, suggesting she’d received the Order of Military Merit for officers, a badge recognizing exceptional service by a Canadian Forces member, and the Canadian Forces’ Decoration medal, awarded for completing 12 years of service. Capt. Hitchcock refused to confirm which medals are at the centre of the allegations against Lt.-Col. Miller.

Lt.-Col. Miller was also stationed until 2009 at CFB Trenton, the air-force base that manages delivering supplies, troops, equipment and humanitarian cargo worldwide. She was quoted in several publications in 2008 and 2009, including CFB Trenton’s weekly newspaper the Contact, Northumberland News and the Belleville Intelligencer, while she served as the administration officer, speaking about the base’s need for more resources and promoting a 2009 anniversary celebration and air show.

In a February, 2009, issue of the Contact, Lt.-Col. Miller wrote a short piece about a Crystal Ball event sponsored by the Quinte Children’s Foundation to raise money to prevent child abuse and help children go to summer camp or play sports.

“I was once a child and I well know what it was like to be loved, encouraged, educated, and made fell like a part of a great community,” Lt.-Col. Miller wrote. “My siblings and I grew up in an atmosphere of encouragement and the fact that anything was possible, so I cannot imagine a child not being able to participate in something they loved.”

She and four others were recognized by the foundation for their efforts to improve children’s lives.

Capt. Labonte said it wasn’t common for military personnel to be charged with unlawful use of uniforms.

The highest penalty for someone convicted of conduct to the prejudice of good order and discipline is dismissal from service with disgrace.

GG.CA shows that she was appointed to the ORMM (OMM) on 02 October 2007 and invested on 30 January 2009.

eliminator said:
GG.CA shows that she was appointed to the ORMM (OMM) on 02 October 2007 and invested on 30 January 2009.

So, safe to say that OMM and CD were legit, but what were the ones that were unearned?

Enquiring minds want to know.

What is the motivation behind this Waltery I wonder......

She might have received some bad advice and not bothered to follow up to ensure it was correct a bout wearing certain things.

Whatever the facts of the case, she has not been convicted yet and is presumed innocent until that happens. It annoys the mods no end when people here make intemperate statements about the accused in pending cases.

Old Sweat said:
Whatever the facts of the case, she has not been convicted yet and is presumed innocent until that happens. It annoys the mods no end when people here make intemperate statements about the accused in pending cases.

Yup.  Everyone please keep this in mind.  Also a friendly reminder the media DO visit this site as well, so let's stick to the facts and refrain from the ad hominem's.

Old Sweat said:

Agreed, just passing the information around as this story is now being reported on by various news agencies.

Is this the same numpty who was court martial led and convicted for 125 and 2x 129 a couple years ago for a false EXPRES Test? Years of service and such seem to add up.

http://www.jmc-cmj.forces.gc.ca/en/2012/miller.page

Had wondered how long it would take for someone to connect the dots on that one...

Interesting news story at link below.  Allegedly LCol Miller was spotted at an event wearing a medal she was not entitled to.  We shall see how this pans out.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadian-military-officer-accused-of-wearing-fake-medals/article19703235/

edit to correct spelling of Miller.

Rgr.

and I checked to make sure I was not creating a new post.  Obviously not checked close enough !!

mods.. can delete topic if deemed necessary.

Well.  We have:

The Past:  http://www.jmc-cmj.forces.gc.ca/en/2012/miller.page

The Present:  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/national/canadian-military-officer-accused-of-wearing-fake-medals/article19703235/

The Future:  http://www.jmc-cmj.forces.gc.ca/en/2014/Miller.page

Come the New Year, we shall see what becomes of this.

What else will it be?  If guilty she'll get a slap and NCM's of good ethics and character will still be forced to salute her.....

Bruce Monkhouse said:
What else will it be?  If guilty she'll get a slap and NCM's of good ethics and character will still be forced to salute her.....

At 34 years in I suspect we'll see a very ignominious retirement come out of this one...

Bruce Monkhouse said:

She picked up a severe reprimand last time around; I can't imagine it'll be helpful during sentencing this time if she's convicted.

Respecting the mods direction, my comments have nothing to with the current charges against LCol Miller, but rather with what is clearly a matter of public record.

It's a rather sad commentary on the CAF that a senior officer, found guilty of offences that very clearly call into question some basic tenets of officership, has remained in the service.

An officer is not a private, who can be kicked in the arse and sent on their way. There is, IMHO, far more expected of an officer, and these expectations should increase with rank. So should the consequences of failure of character. The CAF has machinery to deal with professionalism issues, but sometimes seems very reluctant to use it.

pbi said:
Respecting the mods direction, my comments have nothing to with the current charges against LCol Miller, but rather with what is clearly a matter of public record.

It's a rather sad commentary on the CAF that a senior officer, found guilty of offences that very clearly call into question some basic tenets of officership, has remained in the service.

An officer is not a private, who can be kicked in the arse and sent on their way. There is, IMHO, far more expected of an officer, and these expectations should increase with rank. So should the consequences of failure of character. The CAF has machinery to deal with professionalism issues, but sometimes seems very reluctant to use it.

Exactly, hence my earlier snarky comment.
I couldn't possibly imagine being a fine young ethical NCM knowing what she was previously convicted of and having to toss her the official amount of "respect" her position calls for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back