• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Forces Reserve soldier dies during training at CFB Shilo - CTV News

dimsum

Army.ca Myth
Mentor
Reaction score
An investigation is underway after a Canadian soldier died Saturday afternoon during training at a southern Manitoba base.

Private Kirby Tott was taking basic reserve infantry training with the 3rd Canadian Division Training Centre's detachment at Canadian Forces Base Shilo when he died suddenly, the Department of National Defence said in a Sunday night press release.

A cause of death has not been released, but the Department of National Defence said an investigation has been launched. An autopsy will be conducted.

Prime Minister Stephen Harper offered his condolences in a statement Sunday night.

“Private Tott’s death is a sombre reminder of the sacrifices made every day by the brave men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces, both at home and abroad, for they are the ultimate guarantors of our values and our freedoms," the prime minister said in the release.

Tott joined the Canadian Forces in 2012 as a reservist with the Rocky Mountain Rangers in Prince George, B.C.

RIP Pte Tott.

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/canadian-forces-reserve-soldier-dies-during-training-at-cfb-shilo-1.2488747

Hamish Seggie said:
Been there , done that several times.

Let's all chill out and wait for the results of the investigation.  If there are any lessons to be learned re: how not to have 1/3 of courses injured, etc., I'm sure something will be started.

Dimsum said:
Let's all chill out and wait for the results of the investigation.  If there are any lessons to be learned re: how not to have 1/3 of courses injured, etc., I'm sure something will be started.

Thanks , good advice....

I think that at this time all that is necessary or called for at our level is to lament our fallen comrade. The rest can wait, and can be entrusted to the appropriate pers to figure our.

Rest in peace, Pte.

Unhelpful speculation has been removed.
If you want to discuss more than condolences, then you had better know what happened.

Damn - condolences to family, colleagues & friends ....  :salute:

This from the PM ....
“I was saddened to learn today of the death of a member of the Canadian Armed Forces. On behalf of all Canadians and of the Government of Canada, I would like to offer my most sincere condolences to the family, friends and colleagues of Private Kirby Tott who died yesterday following a training incident at CFB Shilo.

“Private Tott’s death is a sombre reminder of the sacrifices made everyday by the brave men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces, both at home and abroad, for they are the ultimate guarantors of our values and our freedoms.

“Private Tott’s service to Canada will always be honoured and remembered.”
.... this from the CDS ....
“On behalf of all members of the Canadian Armed Forces, I wish to offer my sincere condolences to the family and friends of Private Kirby Tott, as well as his immediate military family, the Rocky Mountain Rangers.

“This sad event reminds me that a loss of life can occur as easily at home as overseas. Regardless of the instance, I have always been proud of how we, as members of the CAF take care of one another in these difficult times. In the days and weeks ahead, my thoughts and prayers will be with those closest to Private Tott. I assure you that we will be here for you.”
.... this from the Army's commander ....
    “I am deeply saddened that one of our own has passed away following an incident during training at Canadian Forces Base Shilo on July 25th, 2015. Private Kirby Tott was a member of the Rocky Mountain Rangers, a Reserve Regiment of 39 Canadian Brigade Group who was carrying out specialty training required to become an Infantry soldier.

“This tragic news reminds us of the dangers that the men and women of the Canadian Armed Forces must face, whether Reservists, Regular Force, participating in training or deployed on operations abroad. I extend my heartfelt condolences to Pte Tott’s loved ones as they cope with this tragic loss.”
.... and this from the Defence Minister:
“I was saddened to hear of the death of Private Kirby Tott while he was conducting training at CFB Shilo on Saturday, July 25.

“On behalf of all Canadian Armed Forces personnel, I offer my deepest condolences to the family and friends of Pte Tott and to those affected by this tragedy.”

RIP Pvt Tott.

When I first read this my heart skipped a beat as I have a good friend and serving member's son there now at the gunnery school. brings every thing into focus.

this one is especially hard for me as not only has a forces brother been lost, but a family member. :(

R.I.P. Pte. Kirby Tott  :salute: :cdn: :yellow:

Soldier died while learning how to build trench

THE CANADIAN PRESS
Published July 27, 2015 - 4:57pm

SHILO, Man. — The Canadian Army says a reserve soldier who died at a base in Manitoba collapsed while learning how to build a trench.

Pte. Kirby Tott, who was 25, died during a training course Saturday afternoon at Canadian Forces Base Shilo.

Maj. Giselle Holland, a public affairs officer, says Tott was learning how to install revetting to reinforce the walls of a trench when he suddenly collapsed.

Another military official says there were no vehicles or weapons involved.

The official says the military cannot comment on any possible cause of death until an autopsy is completed.

Tott was from Prince George, B.C., where he worked as a correctional officer.

“This is a sad day and our thoughts and prayers are with the family and friends of Pte. Kirby Tott,” Holland said Monday in an email.

“3rd Canadian Division along with his regimental family are providing care and support to the family during this difficult time.”

B.C. Premier Christy Clark issued a statement in which she called Tott a dedicated citizen who went above and beyond the call of duty.

“We grieve the loss of a devoted officer who was taken from us too soon. He represented Canada and British Columbia at our very best,” the statement read.

Tott was a member of the Rocky Mountain Rangers, a reserve regiment, who was carrying out specialty training required to become an infantry soldier.

http://thechronicleherald.ca/canada/1301721-soldier-died-while-learning-how-to-build-trench

The older I get the harder it hits me when "kids" pass away, I can't say 25 years old was a kid, but still way to young to be gone.

Whether training related or not, every news story like this is one too many, and no matter what task any of us is doing, whether training, operations, or personal time, we all need to take a moment and as ourselves, is what I'm doing safe, and how can I make it safer?

RIP SOLDIER.
Can anyone comment on the temperature at that location the day in which he died?

Back