• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian jets repel Russian bombers

Ammo

Inactive
Reaction score
Nothing new here but...

Last Updated: July 30, 2010 5:03am

OTTAWA - Canadian fighter jets scrambled to repel Russian bombers that made several attempts to probe Canadian airspace on Wednesday.

QMI Agency has learned that two CF-18s took off from CFB Bagotville to intercept two TU-95 long range bombers about 463 km east of Goose Bay, N.L.

Attempts by Russia to test Canadian airspace have been going on since 2007; military and intelligence analysts tell QMI Agency the frequency has been increasing since then, but one senior official described Wednesday's event as "not the usual s--t."

More http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/07/30/14874221.html

Ammo said:
Nothing new here but...

Last Updated: July 30, 2010 5:03am

OTTAWA - Canadian fighter jets scrambled to repel Russian bombers that made several attempts to probe Canadian airspace on Wednesday.

QMI Agency has learned that two CF-18s took off from CFB Bagotville to intercept two TU-95 long range bombers about 463 km east of Goose Bay, N.L.

Attempts by Russia to test Canadian airspace have been going on since 2007; military and intelligence analysts tell QMI Agency the frequency has been increasing since then, but one senior official described Wednesday's event as "not the usual s--t."

More http://www.torontosun.com/news/canada/2010/07/30/14874221.html

Unless I'm mistaken, this is the first time in a while that Russian bombers have appeared off the East Coast.  The article doesn't mention it, these bombers would have been monitored as soon as they came around Norway's North Cape.

I have my doubts the aircraft would be carrying live nukes; that's a pretty sensitive political/military issue and god help if one of them should go down and the Americans got their hands on them!

Sounds like something has stirred interest more than the usual interception by what a Senior Official states..??? Hmmm.....      :cdn:

Retired AF Guy said:
god help if one of them should go down and the Americans got their hands on them!

Or it leaked radioactive filth over foreign territories.

VIChris said:
Or it leaked radioactive filth over foreign territories.

What, like when the Russians dumped their nuclear powered satellite, cosmos 954 into our North?

I'd just worry that they're trying to figure out what range they'd be in before getting intercepted. Air to surface missiles scare the crap out of me, especially the ones that turn sand into glass...

Let's just hope that they're only  :stirpot: and nothing more...

Sapplicant said:
I'd just worry that they're trying to figure out what range they'd be in before getting intercepted.

They are well aware and have been for years.

Let's just hope that they're only  :stirpot: and nothing more...

They like reminding everyone they are still around. Been doing it for decades. Nothing to get worked up over.

CDN Aviator said:
They like reminding everyone they are still around. Been doing it for decades. Nothing to get worked up over.

Maybe one of these times we should fire a couple rounds at them.. Not enough to shoot them down, just enough to remind everyone that Canadians still aren't to by ****ed with  >:D

Sapplicant said:
Maybe one of these times we should fire a couple rounds at them.. Not enough to shoot them down, just enough to remind everyone that Canadians still aren't to by ****ed with  >:D

Before anyone jumps on it, I'm well aware of just how ridiculous an idea that is. The outcome would definitely not be pleasant. Just saying that if you taunt a pitbull for long enough, you oughtta expect to have your hand bitten.

Sapplicant said:
Before anyone jumps on it, I'm well aware of just how ridiculous an idea that is. The outcome would definitely not be pleasant. Just saying that if you taunt a pitbull for long enough, you oughtta expect to have your hand bitten.

Stop it.

Sapplicant said:

They are flying in international airspace and have not entered into Canadian airspace. They have the right to fly there just like anyone else. Even flying to close to the Russian aircraft is considered a violation of international law, let alone the idea of firing a couple of rounds in their direction.

Sapplicant said:

They do it to us, they do it to the yanks and recently they even sent Tu-160s to pay the brits a visit. International airspace is just that....international. Nothing to start firing warning shots over. Most times the flights are part of pre-announced exercises. The edge of the ADIZ isnt some kind of "line of death".

You want to see actual airspace violations, go visit the Baltic states and talk to the NATO air policing detachement folks.

bdave said:
Good thing we purchased all those F35s.

We have not purchased anything, yet.

It does remind everyone why we need to keep our Air Force (and the rest of our armed forces) up to date.

Retired AF Guy said:
They are flying in international airspace and have not entered into Canadian airspace. They have the right to fly there just like anyone else. Even flying to close to the Russian aircraft is considered a violation of international law, let alone the idea of firing a couple of rounds in their direction.

Understood. I misread the article, and thought that an incursion had been made.

Sapplicant said:
Understood. I misread the article, and thought that an incursion had been made.

On that note, what would happen if they DID, in fact, send a bomber into our airspace unannounced, and without permission?

All information regarding rules of engagement are classifed and will not be discussed on these means.

Sapplicant said:
On that note, what would happen if they DID, in fact, send a bomber into our airspace unannounced, and without permission?

Use your imagination.........

dangerboy said:
All information regarding rules of engagement are classified and will not be discussed on these means.

Agreed.....

Sapplicant said:

[John Wayne voice ]Well, I'll tell ya, Ivan.  You just try it and find out!!![/John Wayne voice]

Back