• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian military goes global with supply bases

AIC_2K5

Inactive
Reaction score
Canadian military goes global with supply bases

http://www.thestar.com/News/Canada/article/551818

Murray Brewster
THE CANADIAN PRESS

OTTAWA – Canada's military is locked into the Afghan mission until 2011, but is preparing for the next war or peacekeeping mission by establishing a series of supply depots around the world, The Canadian Press has learned.

Germany this week became the first country to agree to host a small detachment of Canadian military and civilian supply clerks, who will share space with the U.S. forces at an air base in Spangdahlem.

Ottawa is also negotiating with other NATO allies and plans to approach governments in Africa, the Middle East, the Far East, the Caribbean and South America for similar ventures.

"We've learned a lot through transformation and the operations of the past few years," Gen. Walter Natynczyk, the country's top military commander, said in a recent interview.

The supply depots, essentially small warehouse operations located in strategic regions, would allow for the stockpiling of equipment and ammunition for future missions.

Natynczyk said if the Canadian military is to play a role in hot spots around the world – as Defence Minister Peter MacKay recently suggested – then "we need significant bilateral relations with countries (where) we can pre-position combat supplies and equipment."

The plan envisions both sea and air bases, staffed in some cases by as many as half a dozen Canadians, located in friendly countries but close to potential trouble spots.

The depots could be used as jumping off points for military or humanitarian missions, said a senior defence official who spoke on background.

Critics have long complained the Afghan war has hamstrung the Canadian army, tied up resources and prevented it from undertaking other armed interventions – or peacekeeping assignments.

New Democrats, for example, have lobbied for an intervention to stop the genocide in Sudan's Darfur region. But military officers have said that such missions can work only if there staging points from which troops can deploy or be supplied.

Natynczyk's predecessor, Gen. Rick Hillier, often warned the army didn't have the manpower to carry out two simultaneous operations in different parts of the globe.

But documents obtained by The Canadian Press under the Access to Information Act show the bigger problem has been establishing a supply train to sustain a tandem operation when the country has virtually no overseas military bases.

"The CF lacks sufficient capability to constantly maintain the operational level support task because of policy decisions that resulted in these capabilities not being assigned or funded," said a November 2006 draft report prepared for National Defence headquarters.

The cost-cutting abandonment of bases in Germany by the Mulroney government as part of its peace dividend in the early 1990s has particularly hampered the military's ability to quickly deploy missions abroad.

Canada does maintain a secret base in the Middle East, through which much of the Afghan war supplies are funnelled. But the camp – an air base – has limited capacity.

Since the closure of Canada's Cold War bases in Europe, supplies and equipment for troops in the field on UN peacekeeping missions have been shipped directly from Canada.

It's a costly process, often complicated by the use of civilian cargo ships.

On one occasion, a contract dispute after the war in Kosovo saw a shipping company refuse to deliver the army's vehicles and the Canadian navy put in the embarrassing position of having to seize the vessel on the high seas.

There have also been ad hoc supply-base agreements, such as with tiny country of Qatar, to provide naval support during the first Gulf War.

The reorganization of the Canadian Forces, championed by Hillier, saw the creation of a specific headquarters dedicated solely to supporting overseas missions – the Canadian Operational Support Command.

One of its first tasks was to develop a list of potential countries where Canada could station forward-supply bases, similar in scope and size to "FedEx depots," said a senior defence official.

Does this mean that we'll have our very own Diego Garcia?  ;)

This is great news  :D  I wonder how long (years?) it may take for them to actually become operational depots though.  I am all for overseas missions and having the proper means to sustain them and our troops.  :cdn:

BernDawg said:
Does this mean that we'll have our very own Diego Garcia?  ;)

Well, if our acquisition of Turks and Caicos goes as planned. ;)

cheeky_monkey said:
Well, if our acquisition of Turks and Caicos goes as planned. ;)
I vote for that.
I'll even volunteer for a recce  ;D

Gawd Binder ...

Don't get too excited ...

There's this 'lil spot called Aviano ...

This is NOT a new concept; more strategic Dets is a good thing, but not new.

hmm... if Germany reopens maybe I will put my CT/OT .......

Hmmm    I think I might apply for one of these postions if it ever happens.  I just wonder where they are going to get the supply techs for this, many bases are hurting right now. 

Maybe this will happen after the territorial battalions stand up.  Danny Williams was asking when the one in goose bay was happening not that long ago  ::)

Daidalous said:
Maybe this will happen after the territorial battalions stand up.   Danny Williams was asking when the one in goose bay was happening not that long ago  ::)

Maybe he should have considered that prior to his ABC election campaign.

Catalyst said:
I wonder if these will be DND civilians or SNC Lavalin Types.

My personal hunch tells me it'd be the latter.  Really, all that's needed for something like this is to contract a lease agreement with some industrial type land close to an airhead/seaport, build a few warehouses and other type accomodations, then have a local service company contracted through somebody like SNC (or directly through DND) to keep the paint fresh;  Every once in a while, you'd have an inspection visit from the CFs/DND to ensure everything is in good order, and that's about it.  I don't think it'd require a permanently stationed cadre of CF pers. to maintain a facility like this.

My understanding of this "hub and wheel" concept, atleast as how the CANOSCOM Comd explained it, is that there will be SOFA or MoU agreements in place with the host countries to establish these bases on an "as required" basis.  There would not be any pre-positioned equipment located in wherehouses.  They would be too costly to maintain, and we jsut don't have the equipment available to keep in storage at various points around the globe.

Back