• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Military Slang

Ring Knocker- RMC Grad

Shacks- Barracks, home sweet home

Boonies- The woods, the bush

Boonie Hat- self explanatory

Hut Slut- (not what you think) someone detailed to stay back and watch the shacks and kit, usually someone on light duties

TorFlips- Nickname for the Toronto Scottish in the late 1980’s

EIS- Extra Infantry ****

Quick Out of Ridgeway- QOR (refers to an early battle honour)

Track- APC (M-113)

Queen Mary or Camper- CP version of the M-113

(and that‘s it for me)

Does any one have an explanation for NDBC??
Usually used to describe a kit bag or travel pack of some sort?

web search shows nothing at all....

NBCD: Nuclear Biological Chemical Defence (it used to be NBCW Nuclear Biological Chemical Warfare but I guess that was too aggressive sounding).

What you‘re probably thinking of is the small pack, that you carried your NBCD suit, gloves and boots etc in.

But then again it‘s technically called the IPE bag. IPE for Individual Protective Equipment(read NBCD)

DAPS Delegated Authority Promotional System
or does anyone pose (as) soldier
Do they still have that?
1980‘s way of taking top candidates and rushing them up the chain to fill the void.
I was a young everything.I woke up and had 3 and a leaf and it seemed like a dream.
Still have it?

Here‘s a few I‘ve heard all summer:

UFI = Useless F‘ing Information

Dirty Billy = A soldier who can‘t be bothered to use good hygeine

Shack hack = Coughing you get from spending too much time around Dirty Billies in the barracks

Wierdo = Anything not recognized, such as a strange bug seen in your mod tent ("Look at this wierdo bug thing")

Bumblast = To wander aimlessly around the field/range/training area

Bumblaster = Someone who wanders aimlessly (see above)

MIR Brigade = Those soldiers who are unfortunate enough to be injured and have to form up in the gimp rank behind the rest of the platoon

Kit Bag Drag = What happens when you get kicked off course

Muckle on (to) = To attach yourself to or go with a person/thing/vehicle ("Go muckle on to Sgt Bloggins...")

Beetle = To scurry or move quickly

RHFC = Royal Horse F‘ers of Canada (apologies to the Highland Fusiliers, I actually all the ones I‘ve met so far)

GGFG = Gustav Gone For Good (apparently they lost a Carl G or two)

G ‘N‘ SF = Ground Nuclear Special Forces. Doesn‘t really work though, because their abbreviation is "G _AND_ S F", so I‘ve also heard "Gay and Silly F‘ers". I wouldn‘t dare tell them that, though, most of their NCO‘s are hard as ‘poop‘.

Ankle Buster = Tank ruts at Meaford (or any other base, I guess)

That‘s all I can think of from this summer.

[moderator note: veiled profanity edited out. Please keep your language civil, especially for young and impressionable readers]

The GooGooFooGoos apparently put a Gustav down beside an ML one day, loading up on a public highway after an exercise. They left, realized their mistake some time afterwards, and of course the Gustav was gone when they returned...

I heard about it from a Guardslady I was with on course two summers ago. She was a six footer and looked every inch the Guard. She also topped our RMS course.

some abb'rvs and slang from CLACSTC (Cold Lake Air Cadet Summer Training Center)

MCF-Mike Charlie Foxtrot- Mongolian Cluster Funk
SP- Sierra Papa- Sexual Predator, staff who preys upon course cadets
Gong Show- a total base wide Mike Charlie Foxtrot
  :salute:  High Five - What not to forget to do when a car with 3 little leafs on a flag drives by
Gold- Officers, holy **** theres a whole shat load of Gold on base today

Well thats all i can think of for now, and i wont be on for a while as i turn 18 on the 16th and well we all know whats gonna happen then.

C/FSgt Dixon............................out

Mod edit - inappropriate content removed.

Re Forces Slang...
Here‘s a few I have picked up from working with lots of ex-Brit forces lads on the diving boats, some are used in everyday speech in the UK too....

Ruperts - Officers
Scran - Food
Green Maggot - Army Sleeping Bag
Scratcher - Your bunk/bed etc
Brew Up - Make some tea etc
Monkeys - The MPs (redcaps)
Booties - Royal Marines
Pongos - Royal Army Infantry
Squaddies - Any bunch of soldiers
Slash - A Pee

Well, that‘s all I can think of at the minute...cheers lads !

Pipey = Usually members of the unit call the Pipe Major this or just a piper that they don‘t know their name :p

FNG - F*ckin new guy
Cheese d*ck - new recruit,etc

corn flake - CF capbadge

Pipey is a good one; of course we also have "Drummy" - sounds too much like Dummy for my tastes, but our Drum Majors have never seemed to mind (!). Pipey and Drummy are usually reserved for PMs and DMs you actually have respect for, as a term of affection.

The senior snare drummer is usually called "lead tip". Lead pronounced "leed" of course, not "led".

Bagpipes usually have some not too clever nicknames, but I was always fond of "agony bags", and one pipe sergeant always used to tell us to "get out your war horns."

At the end of the milcon this year some private in my unit called me an FNG. What a laugh! I might be new to the army, but when he was still playing with GI Joe‘s, I was already throwing people in handcuffs and doing more physical work than he was.

I‘m sure with a whole year on me, he‘s got PLENTY of war stories to tell, and I should go find my helmet...

What goes around comes around. Someday He‘ll grow up and leave his mommies basement for a trip. When he gets back from his week of all inclusive drunkeness in Varadero, Cancun, or Ocho Rios, just imagine his surprise when he sees your smiling face welcoming him home at the customs barrier. Maybe we should send him his own supply of rubber gloves.

G ‘N‘ SF = Ground Nuclear Special Forces. Doesn‘t really work though, because their abbreviation is "G _AND_ S F", so I‘ve also heard "Gay and Silly F‘ers". I wouldn‘t dare tell them that, though, most of their NCO‘s are hard as ****.
Gay and Simple Farmers

[moderator note: veiled profanity edited out. Please keep your language civil, especially for young and impressionable readers]

hmm a few i thought id add..

Bunny Suit - Chemical Defense Suit
Bunny Bag - NBC Bag aka Green Backpack

MIR Commando - Someone who spends most of a course in the MIR as a way to avoid doing drill or any sort of real work..

Wog - With Out Guns (or Glory) usually used by Grunts when refering to us REMF types.

Trucksack - MSE Op Rucksack

Crunchies - Name Given to Civy Cars whilst Driving an HLVW (not used often.. only heard one or two guys use it.. but i like it.)

Fart Sack = sleeping bags

Urine Apes = Everyone but that one crazy Sgt.

Back