• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Military Slang

GGHG_Cadet said:
OK when it's laid out like that I get it. It was just the no pack drill part that confused me. Thanks.
    Our basic training WO used to favour "No blood, no foul", which was coined for his full contact basketball games, which anything that didn't involve a weapon, or draw blood was not a foul.  One shot for trickle, two shots for actual spurting blood.  Actually made for quite an invigorating game.  The saying is still popping up in conversation.

Doesn't know sh*t from pudding: adj: a severe discrepancy in perception/judgement by an individual (due to lack of knowledge or just not knowing any better) such that said individual would not be able to tell the difference between feces and chocolate pudding.

GGHG_Cadet said:
I've never understood "no name, no pack drill.". Could someone explain it to me?
At one time, many moons ago, we actually had to put on our full kit and do drill as a punishment.
Does anyone know if Jeff Wright still lives under the dias at Work Point?

Near the beginning of this thread, it was mentioned that the Infantry are sometimes referred to as "pongos".
To   clarify, a Pongo is a large Bornean ape which digs holes in the ground for no apparent reason.

Sounds like the Infantry to me!

Some other slang:

NDHQ = 1 oh Fun
SD&G Highrs = Sand Dirt and Gravel
Aanyone working(?) at 1 oh Fun = Purple trades
JTF2 = Black Pyjama Gang, John's Trout Farm
L&R Scots (from the late 80's) = Muties
NSE = No Support Ever
NATO = No Action Talk Only
GGFG = Grenades Gone For Good (apparently a case of those went missing, too)  ;)
SSF = Secret Squirrel Force
AMF (Allied Command Europe Mobile Force - from the 80's) = Another Month F**ked
Valcartier = Valcatraz

and, finally, a American one:

USMC = Uncle Sam's Misguided Children

A new one for MOUT, OBUA, FIBUA etc (Or whatever the promotionally challanged are calling it these days...)

FISH

Fighting In Someone's House

(Apparently an "Army of the West" thing, But i likes it. "

Quote from Haggis,
AMF (Allied Command Europe Mobile Force - from the 80's) = Another Month F**ked

...actually for most of us it was "alcoholics make friends"
:blotto:

And if it hasn't been said already................SFOR.....

Slowest F#$%^@# ON ROAD

(ahhh the Joys of cruising Bluebird in a clapped out Iltis)

BernDawg said:
At one time, many moons ago, we actually had to put on our full kit and do drill as a punishment.
Does anyone know if Jeff Wright still lives under the dias at Work Point?

A few yrs back I observed in Holsworthy (western Sydney Army Bks), Diggers with house on their back, bongos,kevlar skid lid, and gat w/ pig sticker fixed, picking weeds of the down by the Forntline and ADCU in the hot Aussie summer heat while under direction from a DS. I have no idea what they had done, but it must have been something ;D.

I have not seen it since, and that was about 1999/2000.

So, there ya go.

Wes

Dave:

Steel Badger said:
FISH = Fighting In Someone's House
(Apparently an "Army of the West" thing, But i likes it. "

Maybe not.   A reporter from Eastern Ontarion accompanying my company last summer coined this phrase "out of the blue".   Guy had never been in the field with troops before.

Forgot about "SFOR".   Still remember the day I created a smokescreen in Bihac   ;D

One more bit of slang:
FIGMO = F**k it! Got my Orders. (used by someone in a posting slump.) i.e "He's not lazy, he's just FIGMO."

BOHICA!  Bend Over, Here It Comes Again.

MSE OP  Me Start Engine, Okay Pal?

GAF factor (Give a f**k factor)

Usually pretty low just before a posting, or rotating home (F**k it, its a Roto 13 problem now...)

health break = smoke break

cheers  :cdn:

"BASE Hot" = basically, you've been on base for so long that girls get a lot prettier in civvy land (all of them)
Example:
Soldier 1: "So how 'bout that new chick workin at the Cannex..."
Soldier 2: "Well, she's "Base Hot"...I'd have at her..."

RCR                            = Run Chicken Run
E&K Scots                    = Eeeks and Squeeks
Lorne Scots                  = Horny Lornies
QOR                            = Queers on Ritalin
ASH of C                      = Ash Cans
Linc Weld                    = Links and Winks
RHFC                          = Royal Horse F##kers of Canada (some RCR guys used this one on me...lol)
G and SF                      = Gullible and Stupid F##kers

Happy C0ck                  = Foot Powder
Super Happy C0ck        = Gold Bond
Fat Pill                          = Any form of junk food
Rubber Stupids              = those rubber outer boots we get issued but seldom (if ever) wear
"koala it"                      = taking a dump in the field by finding a tree and "koalaing it" so as not soiling yourself
EX Maple Syrup              = any reservist EX called "Maple _________"
Rubber Duckie              = rubber training C7 for drill
Elephant Slipper            = Belmoral
corn flake                      = CF cap badge (usually worn by Pte Rs)
gucci kit                        = any aftermarket kit you buy
fart sack                        = sleeping bag
brain bucket                  = helmet
bang stick                      = rifle
bug jizz                          = any insect repellent
passion killers                  = old issued CF Boxer briefs
20 KG pipe                    = Carl G
pig                                = C6 GPMG
buzz saw                        = C9 on "adverse"
ditti mao (recce)              = get the f##k outta Dodge
IMP                                = inedible, mostly packaging (this one came from Michael Dorosh on the Canuck forums)
MRE                              = Mostly Rejected by Everyone (once again, from Michael)
EIS                                = Extra "infantry" Sh#t (when I was on SQ)
SGT                              = accronym for fire movement phases in Section attack (Section, Group, Team)
9 mil                              = common name given to Browning High Power or Sig 226/228 pistols
quarters                          = 25mm rounds fired from the bushmaster chaingun
dirty animal                      = what your Sect Comdr calls you after a hygiene inspection
mary jane rottencrotch      = any girl you correspond with while on base (except your Mommy ;D)

...and I'm spent, when I remember more...I'll come back.

BernDawg said:
Di Di Mao...  It's Vietnamese for hurry up.

I know that...(except for the spelling)...but this is the common usage I've seen with it.

"Mock" Dog - field hot dog: you take a hot rod, IMP bread and ketchup...put it together and...Mock Dog! (Yuck)
sandbagging it - essentially you're dogging it during training

Reserves
Toons
MOW MOW
SAS - Saturdays and Sundays
SWAT - Some weekends and Thursdays

Regs
Soaps - Boring and on every day

PONTI - person of no tactical inportance
POOG - poor old Oshawa garbage
Lawn dart - guess who
mud gunners - Fd arty