• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Military Urged to Stop Medical Training on Live Animals -Article

Just a bump to show it's not just an issue here:
A German court warned a private company Tuesday to stop a plan to inflict war wounds on pigs so that army paramedics could practice life-saving first aid on the animals.

The company was offering to supply anaesthetized pigs which had been shot or stabbed or had limbs ripped off. Since pigs are similar in physiology to humans, the animals would resemble wounded soldiers to let military medics hone skills.

The supplier was protesting a decision by the central German state of Thuringia to deny it an operating licence on cruelty grounds.

Judges in the city of Gera said they agreed with doctors who testified there were other ways to improve competence. The company then withdrew its case and no verdict was issued.

(....)

Animal rights are enshrined in Germany's constitution, meaning animals can be killed for food but must not be treated cruelly.
Stars & Stripes, 2 Oct 12

bLUE fOX said:
Out of curiosity, is there a better way to show the effects chemical and biological warfare without using live animals? do we have simulators that can realistically do that?

Good question.  Does anyone know the answer? 

Since pigs are similar in physiology to humans Engineers.....  [Go on; you know it's true.  ;D ]
Maybe we could start using all the people marking time in PAT platoons?  :dunno:

Can you tell that this is something I'm not getting too worked up over?  :boring:

Journeyman said:
Maybe we could start using all the people marking time in PAT platoons?  :dunno:

Can you tell that this is something I'm not getting too worked up over?  :boring:

Its not something I find boring.

I'd like to see our medics get the best possible training experience; its something worth taking a political correctness hit over.

Journeyman said:

I think they did that in Suffield alot during the Second World War...still isn't going over well among some folks.

MM

Back