• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Sniper Sets Longest Shot Record

tomahawk6

Army.ca Legend
Inactive
Reaction score
BZ to the JTF2 sniper !! Quite the feat !!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4628224/Canadian-sniper-kills-ISIS-fighter-TWO-MILES-away.html

A Canadian sniper has beat the record for the longest confirmed kill in military history by picking off an ISIS fighter from a staggering 11,319 feet.
The bullet was fired from a McMillan TAC-50 rifle set on a high-rise tower and took 10 seconds to travel the 2.14 miles towards the fighter, who was attacking Iraqi soldiers.
This smashed the last record set by a Briton Craig Harrison, who killed a Taliban soldier with a 338 Lapua Magnum rifle at a range of 8,120 feet(1.54 miles) in 2009.

A military source told The Globe and Mail the kill was verified by video, adding: 'This is an incredible feat. It is a world record that might never be equalled.'
The third longest kill was by Canadian Corporal Rob Furlong, who shot down an Afghan insurgent from 7,972 feet(1.51 miles) in 2002 during Operation Anaconda.
And prior to that, Master Corporal Arron Perry hit a terrorist from 7579 feet. He was also Canadian and serving in the same operation.
The longest kill from a US sniper was done by sergeant Bryan Kremer, who hit an Iraqi insurgent at 7,546 feet(1.42 miles) with his Barrett M82A1 rifle in 2004.

Based on some reports, it's 3450m, others are reporting 3540m.  Either way, that's a heck of a shot.

Some data points to consider.

Time of Flight to 3450m ~ 10 seconds
Projectile velocity @ 3450m ~ 700 FPS

Bullet drop: 
3400m    +400" from Line of Sight
3450m        At line of Sight
3500m    -450" from line of sight.

My guestimate based on these numbers is that the Dangerous Space for this shot is approximately 9 meters....less than 30 feet.  If you miss-called the range by 15 feet either direction, you'd miss.

That is.....pretty tough to do.  There's certainly a mountain of skill behind that shot, but I would imagine also a bunch of luck.

My thought is that there may have been a mid-range spotter providing closer in correction to fall of shot.

Unless there's a bullet a lot more special and capable than a Hornady A-Max being used.

NS

I remember watching one of our snipers from 2RCR when we went to Kabul in '03 putting some rounds through the TAC-50...after a few closer in shots (5-700m) to warm up, his spotter lased him onto a target that was about 2000m to our front, up hill, with a stiff breeze.  He pulled out a little computer to do some calculations, dialed the dope into the scope and first shot dropped short by about 15ft...second hit the target.

I'd agree that there was a fair degree of luck there at 3K+ range...the mirage alone must have been a bit of a beatch.  This dude was apparently in an elevated position to boot, just add another degree of difficulty  to adjust for (hence why they have a computer for the long shots).

Very glad they're on our side...

MM

FOX News did a report and showed a graphic with the Cdn Flag at 1,3, and 4 position for longest shot plus distance of each shot. Similar graphic as the G & M except FOX dropped the number 5, the US!

This is another FOX report: http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/06/22/canadian-sniper-sets-world-record-with-2-1-mile-pickoff-isis-fighter.html

I ended up co-located with some snipers in Kandahar and luckily got a chance to fire both the Tiberwolf and Tac50. Both rifles nailed 500m targets with no special training on their first shots. Its pretty clear what those rifles can do in the hands of our trained snipers after months of training for just basic sniper, let alone any SOF sniper training they would get. Remarkable.

Given the rather dramatic jump in range between this and previous records, I wonder if there was either some new development in optics, or perhaps some new development in ammunition technology in play here?

A saboted round carried inside the .50 cartridge would have much more velocity and a flatter trajectory, for example (This might be a development of the 80's era SLAP round technology, for example). Various computerized scopes have been developed over the years as well, which would make the ranging and aiming more accurate and less time consuming.

Fired a Timberwolf at 700m, and planted 3 hits in a nice tight group. 

Looked at their culmination point data, and their elevations are just about half of what .308 match does, so their 'dangerous space' is much longer.

Culmination point on a .308 at 800m is about +9.5 Mils I recall.  Their .338 was +5 Mils. 

I've pondered the 'new ammo' option as well, and the numbers I put in up higher leave me pondering that a lot.  The retained velocity and drop on a standard round at 3500m is just....incredible.  Like I said, the dangerous space is sooooo tiny, like on the order of 30 feet.  A 15 foot mis-range (that's 5 meters off) at that distance equals a miss.

Unless there's something magical (or really new/different) about the ballistics of the round they fired.

Ahhhh the quiet professionals  ::)

Clearly an incredible shot through

The Globe and Mail did a story about this.  Apparently the first comment says "Congratulations Harjit Sajjan, great shot"  :rofl:

devil39 said:
Ahhhh the quiet professionals  ::)

I don't think the guy has a movie/book deal signed, so that's a little bit of an unfair character assassination. There is a CANFORGEN out that would make the fact that they were deployed with a SOF Task Force Secret information, so it would preclude the individual from ever identifying themselves as the one who made the shot.

PuckChaser said:
I don't think the guy has a movie/book deal signed, so that's a little bit of an unfair character assassination. There is a CANFORGEN out that would make the fact that they were deployed with a SOF Task Force Secret information, so it would preclude the individual from ever identifying themselves as the one who made the shot.

Not an individual character assassination, more organizational, and if an individual assassination, then it rests at the top.  I guess it all depends on how stringent is your OPSEC policy.  I speculate that in "days of old" this would not have seen the light of day. 

devil39 said:
Not an individual character assassination, more organizational, and if an individual assassination, then it rests at the top.  I guess it all depends on how stringent is your OPSEC policy.  I speculate that in "days of old" this would not have seen the light of day.

Yes, in the days of old this would not have seen the light of day but not for any OPSEC reason.  More for political reasons because the government was afraid to tell Canadians what their military really does and can do.  The result leads to peacekeeper myth, danger pay removal and lack of support. 

BZ to this sniper team. And I'm happy to see the coverage of this worldwide.

Every so often the brass allows a story like this to go public. It helps with morale,recruiting and PR. Last year there was an SAS sniper story that became public in the BBC. It allows the special ops community to get some credit. Of course the sniper wasnt identified and leaves everyone wondering what technology enabled the feat to occur. Leaves the bad guys wondering too. :D

As expected, many of the MSM stories of this feat are being commented on by the trolls, naysayers, debunkers and other "experts in kinetic conflict resolution through applied ballistics".

NavyShooter said:
Fired a Timberwolf at 700m, and planted 3 hits in a nice tight group. 

Looked at their culmination point data, and their elevations are just about half of what .308 match does, so their 'dangerous space' is much longer.

Culmination point on a .308 at 800m is about +9.5 Mils I recall.  Their .338 was +5 Mils. 

I've pondered the 'new ammo' option as well, and the numbers I put in up higher leave me pondering that a lot.  The retained velocity and drop on a standard round at 3500m is just....incredible.  Like I said, the dangerous space is sooooo tiny, like on the order of 30 feet.  A 15 foot mis-range (that's 5 meters off) at that distance equals a miss.

Unless there's something magical (or really new/different) about the ballistics of the round they fired.

I'm thinking, as an EO Tech, that at that range there must have been special ammo and an electronic FCS driven scope too....but all speculation as that will never be released of course.

Jon

Back