• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian soldier’s legacy lives on Afghani babies helped by generosity of Sooke

GAP

Army.ca Legend
Subscriber
Donor
Mentor
Reaction score
Canadian soldier’s legacy lives on Afghani babies helped by generosity of Sooke Quilters
By Pirjo Raits Sooke News Mirror Jan 31 2007
Article Link

photo below: A soldier is shown with a tiny Afghani baby wearing one of the “Boomer” hats made by people in Canada and sent to Afghanistan on military planes

When there is a need, it seems one can always count on the people in Sooke. Last fall there was a call for Boomer hats — tiny knitted hats for babies. These hats, along with assorted blankets and other items, were handmade by women in Sooke and sent through the military to Afghanistan to be gratefully received by mothers.

The hats were called Boomer hats because of one young soldier stationed in Afghanistan. His name was Corporal Andrew Eykelenboom (Boomer) and he was killed in August 2006 while on duty saving lives. His letters home spoke of the ongoing need to help.

During one of his phone calls home, he said, “Mom, people in Canada have no idea of what having nothing means, even our street people have more than those in Afghanistan.”

Who was Boomer?

A young man with a big goofy smile, one who was kind and caring. He was just one of the many dedicated men and women in our military who are willing to risk their lives for a bigger cause, who are willing to be there for their comrades and to help those far less fortunate.

Part of an email from Andrew:

“Well, I finally got the picture you have been waiting for. About two weeks ago a little girl brought her infant sister to the UMS while I was on duty. She had second degree burns on her hand from touching a kettle. I bandaged her hand and after gave a doll that your friend made to her. She instantly stopped crying and started sucking on the nose of the doll. A special thanks goes from her older sister to your friend for such a wonderful gift; and a thanks from me for being the one to accept her gratitude. Making the children happy is the most rewarding thing about this tour. Love Andrew”

His last sentence is what this is all about....”The Canadian Military is in the south, and through the work of the Provincial Reconstruction Teams they are making a difference for the women, men and children in the southern Kandahar area, so much more is needed to be done – what can we do – you and I?”

June Wesley of the Sooke Quilters has been keeping her hands busy and her heart full as she and the other quilters knit, crochet, sew and put together small items to send to Afghanistan. The military uses its planes to deliver the hats, blankets and other items.
More on link

Thanks for posting this story! Its a story that some people would not wish to see the light of day because it does not fit in with their  ""its is wrong that NATO is in Afghanistan and their are doing no good" way of thinking! If you look back in the history of the Canada soldier this is the latest in a long line of Canadian soldiers, sailors and/or airmen helps locals! It is good that the hats are named after some one who care enough to contact home ! Also well done to all who make and ship the items over! It shows what a different little things ( to us) can means to others!   :salute:   :cdn:

Thanks for the great story! Never hear enough about all the good we're doing. I have a little peeve though. "Afghani" is the currency not the name of the Afghan people, it would be an Afghan baby! You would think that after 5 years they the media would have understood.
Nationality noun:Afghan(s)
              adjective: Afghan
Currency:  afghani
Dave

Back