• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian Surface Combatant RFQ

Yep. Where are all the “experts” now, saying we should cancel CSC and build in the US?
the difference being the US has ships, lots of ships.
We have a few ships no many ships.
The US delays by a couple of years oh well. We delay by a coupe of years and it actually means crippling our force.

Irving is not the right company to be building our ships. From the beginning its been a money pit, and will continue to be so until the next contract.

the difference being the US has ships, lots of ships.
We have a few ships no many ships.
The US delays by a couple of years oh well. We delay by a coupe of years and it actually means crippling our force.

Irving is not the right company to be building our ships. From the beginning its been a money pit, and will continue to be so until the next contract.
The US also has run down, worn out, and over stretched ships... on top of significantly more commitments than we do.

It's easy to sit on the outside and look at their top end stuff pretending that they have it all figured out, but the reality on the deck plates isn't a whole lot better than it is for us.

Western countries cashed in the "Peace Dividend", and now all of them are struggling to rebuild.

Let's also not forget that the last couple of generations pulled up the ladder behind themselves, making it harder for people to get into the critical jobs we now find ourselves needing. Made sense 20 years ago when 40-50 year old trade's people didn't want young hungry kids out competing them. Now those 60-70 years old trade's people want to retire, and there is nobody in the hopper they helped shut down.

Well, last time we built warships, we called the program the "Canadian Patrol Frigate". Sounds innocuous enough: more like your friendly cop on the beat than soldierly. :)

This time around, its called the CSC - Canadian Surface Combatant - that's already up in intensity over the last program's name.

So, since we are already calling it a combatant, perhaps there wont be any qualms using a more forceful Destroyer moniker. ;)
Remember this one? The Canadian Sovereignty Surveillance Enforcement Vessel, which disappeared from the budget books with nary a whisper. But Maritime Command did get the SOV (which is the Kingston Class).

According to the Ottawa Citizen, complaining about the "woke agenda" shutting down General Eyr's Twitter acount.
To be fair, he deserved every bit of junk thrown in his face on the whole DEI file.

supply chain issues caused by Covid and the Navy’s insistence on changing the design of its ships even as workers build them have thrown the service’s plans into uncertainty.

Case in point is the Navy’s new frigate program, envisioned as a small, fast ship that the Navy would be able to build relatively quickly because it’s based on an Italian design already in use by several European countries.

When the contract was awarded to Fincantieri Marinette Marine in April 2020, the Navy was looking to keep 85 percent of the ship as-is and avoid including too many new technologies, thereby decreasing costs and reducing risk.

But today, the version being built at a shipyard in Wisconsin shares only 15 percent commonality with the original design, according to one person familiar with the planning, and the Navy isn’t done yet. The person, like others in this story, was granted anonymity to discuss changes to the ship design that are not public.

That's a big big change. Wonder what they kept? Italian low flow toilets or something?

Speaking of toilets....

A detailed presentation by Sir Simon Lister, Managing Director of BAE Systems’ Naval Ships business, at the yard in Glasgow shed a great deal of light on the engineering behind ensuring that the Type 26 Frigate operates with a minimal acoustic signature.

This pursuit of silence is a technical challenge but it is also a crucial tactical advantage. Lister emphasised the importance of acoustic optimisation by illustrating how even the flow of fluid through pipes can impact the ship’s stealth capabilities. By isolating pipes with rubber and carefully designing brackets to minimise noise transmission, the ship reduces the risk of detection by enemy submarines and ensures its own sonar operations remain unhindered.

The attention to detail extends beyond propulsion systems and firefighting mechanisms to encompass every part of the ship, including waste management infrastructure.

Looks like the RCN ISTAR is now out.
Will this be an RCN or RCAF asset?
RCN has always done ISTAR, its an action not an asset (I suppose it is also can refer to an asset that does the task). Its so integral in naval operations that until this JARMY prase showed up we just called it sailing... ;)

ISTAR is the process of integrating the intelligence process with surveillance, target acquisition and reconnaissance tasks in order to improve a commander's situational awareness and consequently their decision making. The inclusion of the "I" is important as it recognizes the importance of taking the information from all the sensors and processing it into useful knowledge.

Don't mention it too loud, Underway, or the Eco-zealots will want us to start monitoring space junk for them - remember SSOSUS and whales?

Don't mention it too loud, Underway, or the Eco-zealots will want us to start monitoring space junk for them - remember SSOSUS and whales?
That annoyed the shit outta me, seeing whales and dolphins in the middle of the ocean is amazing, but the BWKs wouldn't usually say anything because it just meant paperwork (reasonable). I told them I'd write the message as the UEnvo if they saw something during the day and wanted to make the pipe during the day (on working circuits) letting people know so they could see it, I just needed the coordinates.

Nothing quite as demotivating as doing something nice and getting work for it.

That annoyed the shit outta me, seeing whales and dolphins in the middle of the ocean is amazing, but the BWKs wouldn't usually say anything because it just meant paperwork (reasonable). I told them I'd write the message as the UEnvo if they saw something during the day and wanted to make the pipe during the day (on working circuits) letting people know so they could see it, I just needed the coordinates.

Nothing quite as demotivating as doing something nice and getting work for it.
Good old marine mammal reporting. No message is required for a sighting only if the mammal is hurt or otherwise in distress. The log must be filled out by the BWK though.

And potentially Norway makes it way into the build schedule for 4-5 hulls.
I have a hard time thinking that this idea will go through at the timeline Norway seemingly wants, the UK is desperate for Type 23 replacements and their yards cannot supply both domestic and foreign needs.

Back