• Thanks for stopping by. Logging in to a registered account will remove all generic ads. Please reach out with any questions or concerns.

Canadian troops get comic relief

284_226

Banned
Banned
Inactive
Reaction score
Shared in accordance with the "fair dealing" provisions, Section 29, of the Copyright Act.

From http://www.thechronicleherald.ca/Search/546408.html

Canadian troops get comic relief

Taliban rocket attack forces audience to take shelter at CBC taping in Afghanistan
By BILL GRAVELAND The Canadian Press

KANDAHAR, Afghanistan — They say being in a war zone is no laughing matter — or is it? Canadian soldiers at Kandahar Airfield were on the receiving end of an early Christmas gift Saturday as CBC-TV filmed a special, Stand-Up in Kandahar.

The evening got off to an unusual start. As Lt.-Cmdr. Kris Phillips was introducing the show and laying out the rules in case of a rocket attack, that’s exactly what happened. The first of two Taliban rocket attacks forced the audience into bomb shelters and delayed the show for about 15 minutes each time. That, of course, provided the comics some fresh material.

"Saturday night! Well hello Taliban," shouted Shaun Majumder, from This Hour Has 22 Minutes, who grew up in Newfound-land but now calls Los Angeles home.

"OK, the Newfie comes to town and you think you’re going to be funny. I gotta say thank you to the Taliban. They set it off right before we came out here and started telling our jokes," he said to laughter. "Because if those sons-of-bitches set it right off in the middle of my set-up to a joke — you’re going to get it, Taliban."

Majumder was joined on stage by Mark Critch and Irwin Barker, also from This Hour Has 22 Minutes; Tim Nutt from the Just for Laughs Tour on the Comedy Network, and Erica Sigurdson from the Halifax Comedy Festival.

While the humour mostly stayed away from military themes, Majumder couldn’t resist a few in an interview with The Canadian Press.

"Beautiful Kandahar Airfield, from 60 degrees during the day down to minus friggin brass balls at night," he laughed.

"The beautiful smell of sewage wafting over the camp mixed in with double-doubles and doughnuts — oh it’s a paradise."

The 34-year-old comic jumped at the chance to come to Kandahar and said it has been an eye-opening experience. He said the image that many Canadians have at home is dead-wrong:

"That we are the United States’s younger brother who is always whining and asking to come along for the ride and if we do come along for the ride can we borrow a truck," he said thoughtfully.

"What I’m starting to see is some of the finest, most well-rounded, well-trained, resourceful, brilliant military on the planet right now," Majumder added.

The show, which — strangely — won’t be airing in Canada until March, was seen as a chance to give something back to the troops, said one of the producers.

"The original idea came from three years ago when we did a show, Christmas in Kabul, with Rick Mercer," said Michael Lewis of Halifax, who also works on This Hour and on the Halifax Comedy Festival.

"We felt so good at the end that it was a good show, the troops enjoyed it and it was a good experience for all," he said.

Majumber said he’s still not positive that the mission is something Canadians should continue with, despite how impressed he is with the Canadian troops.

"I don’t like conflict, but from what I see here a lot of good things are happening. I am still on the fence but I am inspired by them and I am impressed," he said.

Mark your calendars... ?

Gotta love the CBC for timely coverage.... ::)

Late or not for the telecast back in Canada, the troops had a great time last night, me included!
My face hurt from laughing and my voice was horse this morning from yelling.
A great time was had by all!

GF

I guess its a sad reality that those that could actually use the laugh are all working outside the wire.  Not to take away the excellent job those in KAF are doing.  Same goes for the CANCON show.

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
I guess its a sad reality that those that could actually use the laugh are all working outside the wire.  Not to take away the excellent job those in KAF are doing.  Same goes for the CANCON show.

So it goes for every deployment. No use try to start whining about it now on here. Tell the Chain, perhaps they'll do something for you.

SMMT,

It is true that the troops in the FOB need this stuff far more than I do in the comfort of KAF but that same hardship that has you there also causes a serious liability to the civi performers that want to go out.

The host of the show said over and over agian after the performance that he wanted to go out to the FOBs but was unable due to en action. Their handelers wont let them.

GF

Another case for helos so that the risks of road travel are mitigated?

I was just talking to Tim Nutt, one of the comics from the show.
I mentioned the fact that the boys in the FOBs need this stuff far more than we at KAF do. His responce was simple. "There is no F*in way I'm going out there! It's just plain too dangerous!"

So here ya have it gang. Right from the comics mouth.

GF

The comic may be goofy but he isn't stupid....
- His insurance certainly would not cover that kind of activity
- he is neither trained nor equipped for an excursion beyond the wire.

The ideal situation would be to do multiple shows
catch troops just before they rotate out to the FOB & then perform for the troops that come back into KAF......

Lone Wolf Quagmire said:
So how is it that the WWE and the like do shows in Iraq and Afghanistan?

Might have something to do with all that money Vince McMahon has and how much more it figured it would make him, he probably personally covered them as insurance more than likely wouldn't, and I am pretty sure that they where on a base like KAF (at least for the WWE Christmas in Bagdad (Or Iraq which ever they called it) a few years ago, I also counted probably 10 -15 tanks and apc's ect surrounding the immediate area I believe the where Aussie troops doing the security so the Americans could watch it.

geo said:
The ideal situation would be to do multiple shows
catch troops just before they rotate out to the FOB & then perform for the troops that come back into KAF......
We can also start planning operations around the entertainment schedule.  That would be hilarious!  :D

Back